Childhood's End

How good is Childhood's End on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: Daily Song: Childhood's End

Another one that I really like. Everything seems to be right with it, and I really appreciate the drumming. 8/10.

9. A new style of singing for Bruce almost atonal, like on thrash and death metal, but without the growls, however with a rispid and ravenous spitting delivery of the simple, but strong and vivid Harris' lyrics; the melodies, harmonies and interludes in this song are stellar and the Jan/Dave totally unoticed back to back soloing are some of the best Maiden ever did. Another underrated and overlooked classic! :edmetal:

Mega said:
@Foro: I did not know that. Do you have that interview by any chance?

Here it is:
http://forum.maidenfans.com/http://foru ... 08#p236808

Eddies Wingman said:
That's actually quite clever - there is hardly any change of tone when they switch. If I was told that there was a switch between solo and backing, I wouldn't have been able to pin it to any second of the song - and 3:04 would not be my first guess either.

Dave plays exactly the same note as the one Janick ended with, only not at the same time, but they play these notes after eachother. But a fraction later you recognize its got to be him, because the stuff afterwards is connected.

I decided on that moment because that's the only "gap" between the solos, the rest before it and after it is mostly connected, and all before that moment has to be Janick and all after Dave.

Forostar said:
Dave plays exactly the same note as the one Janick ended with, only not at the same time, but they play these notes after eachother. But a fraction later you recognize its got to be him, because the stuff afterwards is connected.

I decided on that moment because that's the only "gap" between the solos, the rest before it and after it is mostly connected, and all before that moment has to be Janick and all after Dave.

If I was to guess wildly I'd pinned it a couple of seconds earlier (guessing those repeated notes where played by Dave both times), but 3:04/05 does feel more natural.

The note is the same, but I was talking guitar tone (sound). Normally it's easier to hear the difference in how their guitars sound, even when they play the same note. Take for example the H/Dave switch in Rime of the Ancient Mariner. H's solo ends on the same note that Dave's starts with, but the guitar tones are distinctly different. Such a difference is hardly noticeable in Childhood's End.

I give it a 7, real solid song that stands out on the album .. Bruce sounds quite good on this and the music really ads the the mood.

Eddies Wingman said:
If I was to guess wildly I'd pinned it a couple of seconds earlier (guessing those repeated notes where played by Dave both times), but 3:04/05 does feel more natural.

The note is the same, but I was talking guitar tone (sound). Normally it's easier to hear the difference in how their guitars sound, even when they play the same note. Take for example the H/Dave switch in Rime of the Ancient Mariner. H's solo ends on the same note that Dave's starts with, but the guitar tones are distinctly different. Such a difference is hardly noticeable in Childhood's End.

I see what you mean. Indeed hardly noticable and you might be right.
They might even have played the same guitar for these parts. But the touch (the way they handle the instrument) is slightly different and it's a typical Gers ending, so that's why I thought he played that earlier one and Dave the next.
Third possibility: Janick playing both notes, and Dave picking up with the fast ladder.

Just have to say, first of all, how much I love these threads. I have been in a Maiden slumb lately, but this way I'm slowly getting some Maiden back in my listens again. And a great way to do with an album that I haven't been given many listens for a while, so it is like rediscovering all these tracks  :edmetal:

Childhoods End...Well. A very emotional track. I feel that Maiden really nails it with the synths and the guitar harmony/lead in the beginning to create ths feeling of sadness and desperation. They really make it work so that it all falls together nicely with the lyrics. I for sure feel sad when this song starts up.

I love the drums as well, and the big 90s sound they have! Overall the band plays pretty well on this track, still I think there is something missing and it always lumps in as being kinda forgotten. I'll give it a 6/10

7/10. A good song with great guitar but a few of the lines irritate me - such as "the agonies of all-out war."

I like this one very much. Awesome melodies, perfect harmonies and killing drums. The chorus is kinda wierd.

6/10.

8 out of 10... One of the strongest tracks of the album, and Nicko's drumming is very cool. I never realized the solo was split like that, and I thought I had an ear for these sorts of things...

I find this one to be very overrated too. I don't like the chorus and the verses aren't that good either. And I especially don't like the intro. 3/10

It's catchy, but chorus is too slow and plodding. Fast parts are too similar to Afraid To Shoot Strangers. 5/10.

8, one of the better tracks from the album.  I'm not too fond of the verses but the intro/chorus/instrumental section is awesome. This song would grade 9 or even compete for a low 10, if it weren't for too ordinary verse riffs and terrible Bruce raspy voice. The lyrical theme resemblance with Pink Floyd's 1972 effort is also clearly noticeable.

7- I love the lush intro and solos.  I find this song somewhat underrated even though it's not quite awesome.

Back