CHEESEVIVÖR: The Book of Metal: ALL HAIL VICTORIUS!

THE LAST BATTLE

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Wow, Icy Steel is bad. They are really bad, with little redeeming except some OK guitar work. Whereas Skull Fist is an absolute master of cheese, and actually pretty well known in these parts. Skull Fist.

Wolf isn't so bad, but they don't feel like a contender, either. Virgin Steele, however...damn, this band could go all the way. That's pretty great cheese, huge chunks of glam and power all mixed together into a beautiful provalone. Virgin Steele.

You were a few minutes late, but I counted your votes nevertheless.

The first battle here is pointless. I actually love the earnestness in that Omen track. I can hear parallels with some Armored Saint stuff and even some Di'anno in the vocals. However, Rhapsody is perfectly aged cheese.

Second battle: Stormhold has a Facebook page! They have a show tomorrow night in London! Well on their way to international metal cheesedom! I kind of like this cheese, especially the pirate riff. The vocals are not great, though. I was certainly planning on voting for Stormhold, but after that chorus kicked in with "LIVING IN A FAIRYLAND!" I simply must give the cheese prize to Freedom Call.

Oh jesus fuck they even whisper "Fairyland" before the bridge...I think this is the cheesiest we've heard yet. I'm throwing in the towel on Virgin Steele, these guys are my new "favorite".

Wow, Omen is really just terrible. Nobody should like them, but they have a certain levity about them. Once again, I could see them perhaps getting far, but against Rhapsody, or whichever incarnation this one comes from? Come on. Rhapsody.

Stormhold gets an instant +1 for a cover with a guy in a plague doctor's mask. Vocals are absolute shit, mind you. But wow, Freedom's Call. That's...that's something else. Again, this is one that looks like an early favourite! Freedom's Call.

Omen and Stormhold. The Freedom Call singer has the most annoying voice from this group. Stormhold has nice guitar riffs. Never liked Rhapsody much.
Battle Cry!

I think I'm becoming immune to cheese. I find Omen and Stormhold only on the moderately tacky side of metal and I can listen to both. Rhapsody are what will happen when Disney takes over metal, while Freedom Call's Fairyland chorus actually made me lol. Voting for both in bold.

If you're serious about this, tell me your votes and I'll count them. Today, I am a benevolent god.
I thank thee. I'll listen to both rounds this afternoon and send in my thoughts. :)
And so I have.

First pair: Icy Steel - "Me, Rever"
This was actually a pretty cool song! I heard a lot of bands I like somewhere in here. Way better than "No False Metal".

Second pair: Virgin Steele - "The Burning of Rome"
This one was closer, but "The Burning of Rome" is too cool a title, too cool a topic, and too cool a song not to get my support.

As to this current round:

First pair: Rhapsody - Emerald Sword
Neither of these were outstanding, but I thought the opening to this song was cool.

Second pair: Stormhold - God's Crusade
These guys actually have something genuine happening here and I really enjoyed this song. Greatness definitely.

Volume I, Chapter 9: GOLDEN BATTALION, Battle 2: Valsans vs Ravensire

ValSans - Mjölnir
So, you say, this is just another generic group of Austrians picking up their guitars and playing power metal. What is more generic than a power metal band singing about battles, Vikings and Thor's hammer, Mjölnir? Well, brave warriors of Cheese, I have to place a spoiler: There is a MAJOR plot twist in the last verse of this song. It's worth reading the lyrics to this one along.

Ravensire - Drawing the Sword
What is there to say about a Portuguese metal band that plays songs about swords and overthrowing tyrants that hasn't been said before? Even the band themselves seems to be out of ideas, as their Facebook profile has but one statement: "Heavy Metal raw and passionate, the way it's meant to be!"

Volume I, Chapter 10: HEROIC BATTALION, Battle 2: Halloween vs Victorius

Halloween - No One Gets Out!
Yeah right, a band called Halloween, with a pumpkin in the logo in place of the "o", children's melodies in their songs, double-bass and speed riffs, you're fooling nobody. We all know who you're ripping off, and ther... wait, what? These guys were founded in 1981? Changed their name to Halloween a full year before Helloween came up with their name? How is that even possible?

Victorius - Hero
According to their band website, all their recorded output up until this point was for the purpose of gatherng thousands of supporters in preparation for the most epic showdown in modern prehistoric history. I won't give it away at this point, if you want to see what that is, you will have to vote and make Victorius, erm, victorious.

Ravensire and Victorius (crappy off keyish guitar solo by ValSans; but the rest of the song was pretty good to be honest / annoying vocals in Halloween).

First pair: ValSans - Mjolnir
I did read the lyrics with the song, and I did like that "plot twist". The band leaves much to be desired but it was highly enjoyable. Ravensire made me bored - I had no idea you could right an entire song about drawing a fucking sword till now. It always seemed like a simple act to me.

Second pair: Halloween - No One Gets Out!
This was a pretty cool thrashier metal number and I'm actually interested in hearing more of their music. Those high pitches were strong as fuck, too.
According to their band website, all their recorded output up until this point was for the purpose of gatherng thousands of supporters in preparation for the most epic showdown in modern prehistoric history. I won't give it away at this point, if you want to see what that is, you will have to vote and make Victorius, erm, victorious.
Yeah, I might actually help out with this noble conquest if Victorious sounded mildly like they would be deserving of a victory.

Mjölnir is pretty cheesy, especially the chorus, in which the singer is clearly "swinging his own hammer" whenever he squeaks out the name. And the sudden change when we get to the serious part is fantastic. It's like they are trying to say, "we want to have a REAL talk now". As for Ravensire, the song did not go the way I expected from the overlong intro. And the overlong whoaaaoooawhooooaoaooooooyeaaaaahyeahyeahs are superbly bad. This is closer than expected, but I give the edge to Ravensire.

Halloween sounds like a bad ripoff of something. The riff in that song is triggering my memory pretty hard, but I can't place it. It eventually becomes a forgettable mixture of noise, and doesn't really scream cheese to me. If it is cheese, it is like that bland, default stuff they offer at restaurants to add cheese with no discernible flavour. Victorius, though...now, we're starting by mis-spelling a word...some riffs that wish they were epic, and crescendos and hallelujahs? There's cheese. Victorius.

Back