Charlotte the Harlot

Discussion in 'Iron Maiden' started by The_7th_Son, Mar 17, 2004.

?

How good is Charlotte the Harlot on a scale of 1-10?

1. 10

1.5%
  2. 9

4.4%
  3. 8

8.8%
  4. 7

29.4%
  5. 6

19.1%
  6. 5

11.8%
  7. 4

13.2%
  8. 3

7.4%
  9. 2

2.9%
  10. 1

1.5%
  1. matic22

matic22 Ticketbastard tamer

Well I feel that Charlotte goes into the same category as Sanctuary. Filler. However I love the clean part in the middle.

6/10

2. The Reverend

The Reverend Invader

Bad music accompanied by bad lyrics.
    3/10

3. Diesel 11

Diesel 11 As you scream into the web of silence...

This is one song that has great potential, feels like great early Maiden, and yet it just falls short. It's weak. It pains me to give it a low rating because pretty much everyone else did it too, but I'm sorry. 6/10

4. Diesel 11

Could have been a good song, but it isn't. Average Maiden is more like it. If average Maiden were a 5/10, which isn't the case. Average Maiden is 10/10. So below average Maiden. Yeah, that's it.

5. GiovaOfficial

GiovaOfficial Powerslave

Ok song, nothing particularly great or terrible about it. You can clearly date it back to the first album, it has that kind of feel. 6/10

6. Number 6

Number 6 Ancient Mariner

Great offering from Mister Murray. Approaches a subject matter worth discussing, and Charlotte became such a classic character in Iron Maiden's history that it's impossible not to feel something about this song. Musically, it's catchy (less than "Running Free", but catchy enough to get "Charlotte the harlot, show me your legs / Charlotte the harlot, take me to bed / Charlotte the harlot , let me see blood / Charlotte the harlot, let me see love" stuck in your head for quite some time), although it's a bit inconsistent in tone. For that, it gets a 7.

7. Desdemona

Desdemona Trooper

7/10
    It's definitely not a song I skip, and when actually listening to it, it's a bit more interesting than you would guess just from the lyrics. Still, it's one of the weaker ones from this album.

8. Jer

Jer CriedWhenJanickStayed

An odd, off-rhythm major-key intro gives way to a decent verse and a dumb, but sort of catchy chorus. An off-rhythm break leads back into the verse and chorus, then a nice softer interlude with a pretty good vocal from Paul.

The guitars come back in and build up to a couple of serviceable but uninspired solos, then we're back to the verse and chorus, and a reprise of the awkward intro.

There are some good nuggets here, but some odd and weak ones too. 6/10.

9. Diesel 11

A fun song, but not one of the band's best. They'd perfect the prostitution song two albums later.

5/10. The definition of an average song. Fun when it comes on but nothing you seek out.

10. Christoffer

Christoffer Nomad

It was a grower for me, now i really dig it! 8/10

11. KidInTheDark666

KidInTheDark666 Ghost of Benjamin Breeg

Cringy lyrics, everything else is pretty good. 7

12. Diesel 11

A decent opening leads into a slaughterhouse of a verse, with Di'Anno slurring things together over a vocal line that truly takes no prisoners. The chorus is only slightly better, and Paul still sounds like he's had one too many at the pub. I'd rather listen to the "CHARLAAAAAY" live version because at least it's funny. The song's bridge has some really shitty lyrics too, and as a whole, this is a cringefest. Merely decent music doesn't save this from being one of the worst songs in Maiden's discography. 1

13. John Silver

John Silver Is Buddy electric

Great song with a very raw feel. The middle part, the slow part is very very good and DiAnno sings it with great conviction. Lyrics are a bit naive maybe or let’s say they may come as if written by a very young person, who is less skilled in writing lyrics. Deters a bit, still a solid fuckin 8.

Magnus and Niall Kielt like this.
  14. Desdemona

Desdemona Trooper

there was a time when you left me standing tHheaAAAgh

Diesel 11 likes this.