Charlotte the Harlot

How good is Charlotte the Harlot on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
'charlotte The Harlot'

I would say this is one of favourite Maiden songs (agree with me or not). Interesting songwriting, great lyrics, delivered with passion by Paul, and wonderful slow middle part. Love it. Gave it four stars, but now I regret not having given more [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

'charlotte The Harlot'

[!--QuoteBegin-Maidenfreak+Jan 15 2005, 12:17 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Maidenfreak @ Jan 15 2005, 12:17 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]awesome chorus! Of course, the topic is a bit cheesy, but we all enjoy a bit of cheese here and there, don't we? And the great song makes up for the lyrics easily. A classic, I hope they'll dig that one out for the next tour. Would be fun, don't you think? [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
4 stars
[snapback]96099[/snapback]​
[/quote]
I hate it when Maiden fans call every single Maiden song "cheesy". What's so cheesy with the topic of this song? Tragedy of a woman who sells her body to stay alive is cheesy? Cool.

This is a great song with some killer guitar playing and lots of energy.

'charlotte The Harlot'

Great chorus, but I never really did like this song much either. I do like the lyrics, though, they did a good job on the "Charlotte" series of songs.

Re: 'charlotte The Harlot'

Charlotte the harlot: this song has some complicated riffing but lacks a lot of depth, the verse is quite good. The bass and guitar are the same pretty much and so is the drums, so just one driving riff and with some nice vocals on top, and it keeps going, maybe a bit too long. But then it drives into a soft melodic part. Imo the bass doesn’t really work in this part, it goes to high, but the drums and guitar are excellent. The vocals here; the same as the bass really, sounds out of place. Then goes into a solo which fills you with adrenaline only to drop down abruptly and go back to the riffs at the start. The lyrics are also very shallow. 3.5/5

It's older than the Maiden song, and that's why it's interesting.

Perun said:
It's older than the Maiden song, and that's why it's interesting.

:bigsurprise:

WOW. So we have to search our Murray or even Di'Anno's interviews to find out !
...I don't remember to have it read somewhere -but then,
we never read somewhere about Beckett right ?

When it comes to Charlotte, Steve and Dave have been very clear that she is based on a real person, but they are very tight lipped on who.

LooseCannon said:
When it comes to Charlotte, Steve and Dave have been very clear that she is based on a real person, but they are very tight lipped on who.

Paul too -Maiden Norway, summer 06

We generally don't take anything Paul said seriously.  Ever.

Daily Song: Charlotte the Harlot

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: Charlotte the Harlot

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

It's a nice little rocker, it really is, but there's a little something missing. The spark I expect from early Maiden isn't there, as if there was a little miasma mixed in. It's still pretty good, but not super. 6/10.

Re: Daily Song: Charlotte the Harlot

One of the weaker Maiden songs.  Paul's singing doesn't really fit the slow part, even though we know he can sing soft, and it's probably my least favorite of the four "Charlotte" songs.

Really? Really? For me, Hooks In You is a flat out 2, my 2nd least favourite Maiden song; I am not a huge fan of From Here To Eternity either.

I never liked the intro that much but the rest I do like. It's a pretty intense song.
The middle part fires it up even more. 7

LooseCannon said:
Really? Really? For me, Hooks In You is a flat out 2, my 2nd least favourite Maiden song; I am not a huge fan of From Here To Eternity either.
Hooks in You is my favorite off No Prayer, and I like FHTE better because the intro's better and I just find it to be a more interesting song.  This is all just my opinion of course.  I don't think there's any argument that 22 Acacia Ave is the best though.
Charlotte's probably in my 5 least favs, along with Sanctuary, Run to the Hills, The Assassin, and The Duellists.

I'm with Foro, the intro is pretty bland, but then it becomes very intense, and one of the most enduring headbangers in the Maiden discography. Still the weakest song on the debut album, but that's not saying very much. 7/10.

As much as I like the first album, it just hasn't hit musical maturity compared to what comes later.
This song is probably the best example of that.
Fine, but mediocre by Maiden standards — a 6, but barely.

7. Cool rocker with some really good bluesy nods in the middle section.

Back