Chains of Misery

How good is Chains of Misery on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: Daily Song: Chains of Misery

Worst song from the album, worst song from the whole Di'Anno & Dickinson era (before Dickinson left the band in 1993).

It has annoying vocals, especially in that dreadful midpiece with its misplaced slow tempo.
Also at the end Bruce sounds like a bleating sheep.

Turd of Misery gets a 4.

Not the worst song on the album - there is one that rates even lower for me - but the second worst. Not a very good effort at all, sorry. 2/10.

The chorus in the refrain is pretty cheesy...Perhaps it was the same guys from the bar in 86  :innocent:

I don't really know what to say about this track, its not particularly good, but not shite either. it will be a 5.

I gave it a six.

The chorus is kinda bland, but there's a really nice instrumental section in the middle, and the whole song has a nice groove to it. May have been worthy of a five, but I gave is some extra credit.

I dont think this song is that bad. sure, theres nothing great about it but its miles above hooks in you, gates of tomorow, the apparition, QFF, wekend warrior, tailgunner and fear is the key plus a couple of blaze songs

5/10

Not very good, is my blunt assessment, and would be forgettable if not for the annoying chorus grating in my ears. 1/10

Not a very good song at all, poor chorus and just an odd concept for a Maiden song ... I give it a 3.

I can't believe most people gave this a 4. Its a great tune, so rhythmic and fun lyrics. I give it a 9.

Awesome Davy solo.
Dreamy breakdown.
Main riff is Maidenesque for the period.
The "choir" wasn't necessary but much better chorus than From Here to Eternity.
Super harmony at solo's end. 

There are much worse songs on Killers, NOTB, POM and Powerslave.

@ eddies wingman - I know, I know...if we were living in 1700s Salem I'd be burnt at the stake for this remark. ;)

Alas, Drifter, Ganglands, QFF and Flash of the Blade to name a few...

I expect the next song will get an even greater beating, but (just like a few did in this topic) I'm planning to pay my minority respect nonetheless. ;)

Lock me away in a sanitarium EW, but Flash of the Blade loses over COM due to its embarassing dragon slaying lyrics and lack of any solo. Next...!

Now the lyrics of Flash of the Blade are about killing evil men, not dragons ... the line "and you always killed the beast" refers to the protagonist as a kid, pretending to be fighting beasts playing with his wooden sword. And I think there are worse songs out there that lack solos - I pretty much think the harmony part of the song works fine.

But enough about Flash Of The Blade, this thread is about Chains of Misery.

Chains of Misery is one of Maiden's worst songs. Terrible chorus, no hooks, and it's not forgetable, I remember clearly just how bad this song is. For comparison's sake, Flash of the Blade slays this song, and leaves it in smoking ruins with the bodies at your feet (just like Aunt Beru and Uncle Owen).

Awful song, truly one of their worst.  2/10.  And to think there's a few more on Fear that are worse than Chains of Misery. 

7 out of 10... Wow, lots of strong feelings against this song. Not a classic by any stretch, but not a bad little rocker. Great Murray solo, and even though I'm not much of a fan of Bruce's growly vocal style, it seems to work on this tune.

Back