Chains of Misery

How good is Chains of Misery on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

Here, you can read other visitors' comments on 'Chains Of Misery' as well as post your own. Any contribution to the commentary will be much appreciated, may it be cultural references relevant to the song (links to related websites, interpretations that may have been overlooked in the Commentary, and the like) or personal essays related to the topic of the song. Just be aware that messages that are either off-topic or too wacky may be deleted.

'chains Of Misery'

Quick Review:
Much like "From Here To Eternity", it has an AC/DC-esque feel to it. Bruce's voice is less raspy on this one than on other songs from the album.
It's a great rocker.
Rating: 3 1/2

'chains Of Misery'

It's a decent song, Bruce sounds not as bad as on some of the other recordings. Still, to me the song isn't too memorable, so it's a fairly average three stars.

'chains Of Misery'

Worst chorus ever, the drummer will fall asleep...
Thank you Dave to play this brillant solo, but it's not enough to save this song.

1,5/5

'chains Of Misery'

Totally 'un-maiden like' but still a good track - solos are great

The shouting chorus kind of annoys me though!

'chains Of Misery'

the worst song on the album. the solo is ok if you stay awake long enough to appreciate it [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

'chains Of Misery'

This is a kickass track, even though it's sort of "un-Maiden". I love the cheesiness of it, the big bombastic yet simple sound. A fun song to play as well. People have already mentioned the solo bit, which is fantastic. This song just gives me an all around good feeling that metal songs sometimes lack because they're trying to be too tough.

Re: 'Chains Of Misery'

I think this song is just one for a certain taste, it seems to be just whether you like the shouting chorus or not. I personally like that kind of catchy, repeated, chorused phrase in a song. It is cheesey, but some great metal is cheesey because you remember it for exactly that.

I'd rate it a 4.

The relationship in this song between the lyrics and the music is just great. While what Bruce is actually saying is cynical and sort of sadistic, the music is very nonchalant, happy and catchy. I love the irony of that. As to the shouting chorus, I guess I must just like that, same as I don't have a problem with the chorus on For the Greater Good of God. I think I like it because Maiden seldom employs this style of chorus. Anyway, fabulous solo as well and just a fantastic rocker and 'feel good' song. It's nice to hear Maiden do something a little more legere and 'ordinary', if that word is even applicable to Maiden.  :lol:

Decent song, I wouldn't say it's too horrible, the solo's are excellent though. 3.5/5

In light of the Dokken madness here, I found it amusing that this song is the only one on IMC with a Dokken comparison :p

This is an ok song, though for some reason its style and sound is reminiscent of Dokken.

link

Daily Song: Chains of Misery

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: Chains of Misery

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

Ugh. No. No no no. A boring, overly happy musical piece, terrible lyrics, terrible singing. The only thing that redeems this song is its juxtaposition to the next turd. 1.5, so I shall round to a 2.

Re: Daily Song: Chains of Misery

I used to like this one a bit, but now I think that it is nothing special and nothing out of the ordinary. It would not be missing if it wasn't there, but it doesn't do any harm either. All in all, useless and forgettable. 2/10.

I'm pretty sure this qualifies for the title of worst Maiden song, ever.  The chorus, at least, is the most annoying they've done.  The solos are the only decent part of the song.  Fear of the Dark would have been a much better album if it had cut four songs, and this is one of them.  2/10

A very forgettable piece. I like the bridge to the chorus, but the verses and chorus are just ... meh. Shares bottom spot on the album with FITK and The Apparition. 4/10.

LooseCannon said:
The only thing that redeems this song is its juxtaposition to the next turd

Bwhahahahhahahaha!  :lol:

This song isn't worthy my reviewing.

1/10.

I don’t understand the hate. Clearly one of the best songs Dokken ever did.  :innocent:
Seriously, it’s a pedestrian effort, but not to the point of being offensive. A low six.

8. I like the 12/8 groove, kinda menacing, Bruce spits the words again and I like this style of his, too; from the tempo breakdown onto the solo section is the highlight of the song and Davey's shines on this wonderful solo. I don't think it has a 'happy' mood, I feel hope and despair just as the carachter in the lyrics as he's trying to break his chains with misery.

Back