Caught Somewhere In Time

How good is Caught Somewhere in Time on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters

gor

Ancient Mariner
according to the steve interview on the acompanying 7" interview vinyl ("on their own words") of the japan sit pressing, the song was inspired by the 1979 movie "Time After Time". just thought i'd point that out since i just found it out from the maiden bb...

'caught Somewhere In Time'

According to yahoo movies database, time after time is:

"H. G. Wells follows Jack the Ripper in a time machine from 19th century England to San Francisco. Good performance by Steenburgen as the woman who befriends Wells. "

The IMDB page on this movie: [a href=\'http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080025/\' target=\'_blank\']Time After Time[/a]

Starring Malcolm McDowell as H.G. Wells
Rated 7.2 out of 10 by IMDB voters

Plot summary: H.G. Wells has just invented a time machine but hasn't tried it out yet. When one of his friend's is found to be Jack the Ripper, Jack makes his escape using the time machine. Herbert follows Jack into the late 1970s where he meets Amy, a bank clerk, who teaches Herbert about life in 70s while they pursue Jack, who is enjoying the more violent society in which he continues his murderous activities.

Now you can read other visitors' comments on 'Caught Somewhere In Time' as well as post your own. Any contribution to the commentary will be much appreciated, may it be cultural references relevant to the song (links to related websites, interpretations that may have been overlooked in the Commentary, and the like) or personal essays related to the topic of the song. Just be aware that messages that are either off-topic or too wacky may be deleted.

Here, you can read other visitors' comments on 'Wasted Years' as well as post your own. Any contribution to the commentary will be much appreciated, may it be cultural references relevant to the song (links to related websites, interpretations that may have been overlooked in the Commentary, and the like) or personal essays related to the topic of the song. Just be aware that messages that are either off-topic or too wacky may be deleted.

In the commentary, Mav said that a person is urged to sell his soul but what is offered is not known, well i tried to investigate....

"If you had the time to lose
An open mind and time to choose
Would you care to take a look
Or can you read me like a book"

The devil tempts the person into going to hell by tricking him saying he is going to the future. The sentence"Or can you read me like a book" says that whatever he offers is not true.

"Can I tempt you come with me
Be Devil may care fulfil your dream
If I said I'd take you there
Would you go would you be scared"

He thinks that if he said that he is taking the perosn to hell, the person will not go.

"Like a wolf in sheep's clothing
You try to hide your deepest sins
Of all the things that you've done wrong
And I know where you belong"

A place where our sins would be paid,
"And I know where you belong".......In HELL

some weird observation i must say

okay, there's the song related to time travel, i don't know why i thought SIASL was one, too. :stupid:
anyway, although maiden refrain from calling it a concept album, the notion of "time" does seem be around in this album, heaven can "wait", alexander the great ( moving back in time), deja-vu ( a wrong interpretation of cronology of an event, confusing present with past), and wasted years ( not getting hung up on lost time). what do others say?

well, even if maiden only made one concept album, they made lots of themed albums, this one being one of them. the theme of this album is TIME!

Re: 'wasted Years'

The intro may sound strange at the first time you listen it, but you get used to it really fast. Its a good song, however a bit too "mainstream" mainly in the chorus.

However, the solo, along to the SIASL one, is one of the best solos of H. This one sums the whole song into it. I mean, if there weren´t song at all, and only the solo, it would still be great ! (ok, I got a bit far now)

I think that I have a interesting look on this. Let me see if I can explain it and you tell me what you think.

Lets get to the lyrics.

If you had the time to lose
An open mind and time to choose
Would you care to take a look
Or can you read me like a book

Time is always on my side

My point is that the character of the song, the one who "sings" it, is TIME ITSELF AS A LIVING BEING. So if you have the time to lose and an open mind to realize what time really is would you care to take a look at time and read him like a book ?

This idea is reinforced be the bridge. Time is always on the side of time, because he controls himself.

Can I tempt you come with me
Be Devil may care fulfil your dream
If I said I'd take you there
Would you go would you be scared

Don't be afraid you're safe with me
Safe as any soul can be... honestly
Just let yourself go

Time is tempting someone to dive into him and let him (the time) to take control of the situation. TIME, AS A LIVING BEING, IS OFFERING A TIME TRAVEL.

Caught somewhere in time
Caught somewhere in time
Caught somewhere in time... oh oh

Caught somewhere inside me ???

Like a wolf in sheep's clothing
You try to hide your deepest sins
Of all the things that you've done wrong
And I know where you belong

The line "I know where you belong" shows that time knows where his passenger should stay.

Make you an offer you can't refuse
You've only got your soul to lose... eternally
Just let yourself go

Caught somewhere in time
Caught somewhere in time
Caught now in two minds... oh oh

But know, time tells us the his secret. If we want to take a ride with time we have to lose our soul (die). Then we would be eternally travelling with him.

The only think that doesn´t make sense with this idea of mine is the last line. "Caught now in two minds"

What do think ?

EDITING : Forgot to give my opinion about the song (what a jerk !:p)

I´ve heard a long time ago that Bruce used the chorus effect on the voice, that´s why its so "dry"

Its a excellent song, great intro, epic riffs and a looooooooooong instrumental part with "madness" solos. One of the best number one tracks.

according to steve it's the DEVIL tempting you to travel through time in exchange for your soul... i want to see that movie (time and time again) one of these days!

The opening of the song sounds quite, well, synthesizer like. Must have been quite a shock to some of the fans, and it's certainly miles apart from Killers. A good and fairly complex song, but IMHO a bit too long. Four stars.

In my view 'Caught Somewhere in Time' is still the best suitable opener for both an album and a show(with 'Where Eagles Dare close behind).The song has all a Maiden fan can wish for, fantastic intro, striking solos ,galloping basslines and another top vocal performance by Bruce, especially on the blistering chorus(indeed one of my favourites).

Taken all in all I wish someday the band resurrected the song for their live performances again since it is an almost forgotten gem and what other band could afford not to play a masterpiece like that?

[!--QuoteBegin-gor+Feb 6 2004, 09:04 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(gor @ Feb 6 2004, 09:04 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]according to the steve interview ... the song was inspired by the 1979 movie "Time After Time".
[snapback]51394[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Another possible (though maybe unlikely) source of inspiration is the 1980 movie [a href=\'http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081534/\' target=\'_blank\']Somewhere In Time[/a]. The plot of the movie has nothing to do with the Maiden song, but Harris (who's known to draw inspiration from movies) may have remembered the title.

Ages ago I read about a not so obvious theme about this song and Doctor Who!
The evidence?
1)Firstly the cover of SIT has the Tardis in it
2)The Wasted Years cover again had the Tardis in it
3)If you look very very very closley, in the SIT album cover, nicko's T-Shirt says "Iron What" with a question mark below it, the design in a very simmilar style to the 60's and 70's style of the Doctor Who Intro.
4)Bruce is a fan of Doctor Who! He apparently brought a dalek prop in an auction. (though I dont know if Steve Harris is, seeing as he wrote CSIT)

On to the lyrics of Caught Somewhere In time,
I feel it is the Doctor who is the main character of this song, inviting a companion to join him in his travels in the Tardis. Wacky I know but..

Don't be afraid, you're safe with me,
Safe as any soul can be ... honestly,
Just let yourself go.

The doctor can be very persuasive and coaxing, and does(usually) look after his companions, rescuing them from danger just in the nick of time.

Can I tempt you, come with me,
Be Devil may care, fulfill your dream,
If I said I'd take you there,
Would you go, would you be scared?

If anyones seen any classic WHO, this refers to the many mosters the doctor encounters, and even a few comapnions have died over the years! (anyone rememeber Adric getting blown up by the Cybermen hijacking the space freighter?) so refers to the excitement and danger, and also "behind the sofa syndrome"

Time is always on my side,
Time is always on my side.

The Doctor is a Time Lord with a time machine, of course time is on his side. [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Like a wolf in sheep's clothing,
You try to hide your deepest sins,
Of all the things that you've done wrong,
And I know where you belong.

Quite a few of the Doctors companions have committed wrong at one time or another(Turlough tried to kill the Doctor, Ace burnt down a few houses etc), this the Doctor knows this, and yet has forgiven them.
This also refers to human nature in general (partially why the Doctor likes humans so much because of their faults) wheras the doctor is an alien and in a sense perfect, he still finds the quirkiness of human nature appealing and still would like the companion(s) to travel with him, warts and all.

Caught somewhere in time
Caught somewhere in time
Caught now in two minds!

The prospective companion has finally agreed and now both they and the Doctor are "Caught somewhere in time"

Thanks for your time reading this, please tell me what you think(and that I dont need to be committed). Hope this puts a new slant on one of the best Maiden songs they made.

Credit where credits due, the T-Shirt reference and the info about the auction is from an article by Zappo.
I at least observant enough to noticed the tardis's without having to be told lol

The connection between the doctor and CSIT I first read on a forum somewhere(in time lol). My apologies to the author I cant remember your name [!--emo&:blush:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/blush.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'blush.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
However I disagreed with him/her on how the majority of the lyrics where interperated (apart from the main doctor who theme).
I'm sorry if anyone is not a big fan of WHO as I have put a few references that might be beyond the average reader.
Also one last note, I'm a classic WHO fan. As far as I am concerned WHO ended in the late 80's, there is NO 9th doctor [!--emo&:cussing:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/cussing[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'cussing[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--]
However David Tennant looks much more promising *fingers crossed.

Daily Song: Caught Somewhere in Time

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: Caught Somewhere in Time

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

Quite a good song, but not fan-fucking-tastic in my opinion. A little long and very proggy for the time. I like it, but I'm not in love. 7/10.

Oh. And I should mention that like PoM, I am not in love with Somewhere in Time. I always thought it was a fairly consistently okay album, with no true standout song.

Re: Daily Song: Caught Somewhere in Time

Good song with a cool intro — both slow and fast parts. Killer solos too. I’m not usually one to complain about Maiden songs being dragged out too long, but this one could have used an editor. It has too many repetitions to elevate it into the class of great. It’s the worst song on the album, but that’s more a commentary of Somewhere in Time’s overall consistent excellence. Seven

Re: Daily Song: Caught Somewhere in Time

Truly a masterpiece, completely full of energy and one of my favourite performences from Bruce. The perfect album opener, it's hard to think it goes for 7 and half minutes considering the tempo. Cool lyrics. 10/10

Back