Buckethead

438661.jpg

This beast flew by. Soothsayer is as great as ever, and I may have found another favorite in King James. How that gets overlooked by the likes of Jordan and Nottingham Lace I can't understand. (EDIT: Just relistened to those two and never mind, I understand it. Dunno which of the three is my favorite though.) Ultimately this was a great album, possibly second best after Bermuda Triangle.

Rating: 9/10

So um... *gulps* I see that In Search of The is next. :S

Last edited:
Great album, one of the few that I've gone back to since my Buckethead binge. Soothsayer is good but the rest isn't that far behind (some is even better really).

I've yet to listen to In Search Of The, but I will get to it eventually. FWIW it's not part of the core discography.

I've yet to listen to In Search Of The, but I will get to it eventually. FWIW it's not part of the core discography.
:eek::confused: Mosh, I am surprised by this... behavior! To say you've listened to every Buckethead album... and not listen to In Search Of The... it's downright wrong, my good chap!

I'm nearly through Volume 1, I'll review the whole thing once I get through the other 12.

I promised myself that, by hook or by crook, I'd eventually hear everything the Man in the Bucket released. In Search of The might be a bit daunting but so far it's a really good mega-album.

Random Buckethead listen...

images

I listened to Santa's Toy Workshop today on a whim. OK, so not a completely random pick. I obviously picked this because of the seasonal theme in both the title of the album and the songs....and those, Lego toy robots on the cover, which I can only assume are part of the production at Santa's workshop. The first track and the voices of the rowdy elves literally made me laugh out loud. On the second track we're taken on a conveyor belt tour of the workshop - This is one of the more challenging pieces I guess, but does a great job at conjuring up images of the various weird toy assemblies. Third track, Winds Through Antlers, is probably my fave song on this pike - already a big fan of surf music, this track is basically a surf rock song in a winter wonderland. Good stuff. Both Blitzen Goes Berserk and Santa's 20 min away are both frenzied, chaotic tracks, really setting the workshop under pressure. I had never heard of Mego Monsters before so naturally I had to look that up. it seems that Mego Corporation was a toy line that went bankrupt in 1982. I wonder if those toys were Bucketheads favorites growing up so he had to write a song about getting them for Christmas who knows - but Wrapped Mego Monsters Under the Tree is probably my second fave track here.

Last edited:
total gem
This should be the goddamn title because it's goddamn accurate. :clap:

Also, I forgot to mention that after Bermuda Triangle I played Soothsayer as well. My dad's response was something like, "That was really good. I haven't even really heard of this guy, wow."

Various other stuff...

There's quite a few covers out there too (that I haven't posted) & other only-played-live stuff (like Help! Help! Help! above) e.g. The Embalmer.

This song was already great. This is effectively a triple-length Praxis remix:

Hard to tell what Buckethead contributed here; credited only as "lead guitar". But having reminded myself of what the original sounded like, the rhythm section is definitely beefed up quite a bit by Laswell (& possibly Buckethead); Bernie's keys are subtle & unobstrusive too, but effective. Middle section sounds totally new; definitely Buckethead riffing on the second half too; & lead work obviously him.
This is the edited version, renamed "Byrralku Dhangudha":

There is another even better edit that I can't find to buy online anywhere (discogs etc). This version has Buckethead riffing earlier & places the calm middle section to the end.

I think I'm obsessed with this track...

Listen to this insanity. I've been trying to get hold of these Company 91 session CDs for a while now, but they're damn hard to track down for anything like a decent price...

Back