Buckethead

Just sounds like the usual Pike personnel to be honest; I don't hear a real drummer, if that's what you mean. Production is good, but nothing massively unusual sounding. Bits of it remind me a little of Attic Garden (Pike #238), in a good way. It's only two tracks, so format-wise this definitely just feels (& sounds) like a un-numbered Pike. Email them & they'll give you a DL link. Bandcamp article is pretty generic.

Not that I was eager to purchase it, but strange that this non pike release suddenly appears as a pike without number. Also no audibly other personal is against expectations. Perhaps there was a row and the project got cancelled and Buckethead started all over again, without admitting the project failed. It certainly did fail, that cannot be denied.

... but strange that this non pike release suddenly appears as a pike without number.
What do you mean? Buckethead hasn't said it's a Pike. Nobody is saying it's a Pike, just saying it might as well be. What the difference?
Perhaps there was a row and the project got cancelled and Buckethead started all over again, without admitting the project failed. It certainly did fail, that cannot be denied.
Not sure if I follow. It's still getting the vinyl treatment.

I merely repeat what has been said earlier in this topic, just in a more critical way.

The outcome of the music ( B ), uttered in this topic, is against the expectations (A), earlier uttered in this topic. A turned out as B. B gets a treatment, but (and possibly because) A failed.

Time to check out some of Buckethead's side projects. Not doing these in any particular order, although I'm starting with the Travis Dickerson stuff since I really like Population Override.

Chicken Noodles - Right off the bat, there are soundscapes added by Dickerson and his keyboards that create a new dimension to Buckethead's sound. Love the way the two instruments blend. The first track is mostly rhodes piano and guitar but some synthesizers and more processed guitar sounds come in later on, but they creep in so naturally that it's not distracting at all. Some great melodic work and improvised chord progressions. There's lots of variety in the album even though it's supposedly based on one song from Population Override. In typical Buckethead fashion, they took a basic idea and found a seemingly endless amount of possibilities with that idea. Fantastic album. These guys have amazing musical chemistry. Such a great mellow work.

Chicken Noodles II - So far this seems to be a little more groovy with some bluesier riffing. There's still no shortage of atmosphere and musical chemistry, although I prefer the previous album. Still this is good stuff and the sort of thing I wish Buckethead would do more of. I'd take these little guitar/piano duets over the more generic Pikes any day.

BTW Oyster Crackers kinda reminds me of Eat That Question by Frank Zappa. Similar kind of bluesy riff and rhodes/guitar combo.

Apart from nice riffs and leads, Solar Sailcraft (title track) has some fine audible bass playing going on as well!

It's nice to hear well arranged & played bass & drums; but, in general, he really needs to work on the overall build of his tracks, guitar(s) aside.

Hey @CriedWhenBrucieLeft , do you know of any places where you can get Bermuda Triangle is CD form cheaper? 30 seems to be the lowest price I've found thus far.
Alright, thanks. I'm not adverse to purchasing one for $50, but I'm trying to scope around a bit so I don't end up blowing it too fast.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bermuda-...062906&hash=item2ccabc34c6:g:W-oAAOSwq39Zp4-H

Not saying this is in any way cheap; but just noticed it & thought of you.

50 USD, actually a lot more than on US eBay last I checked.

Don't forget the pre-Pike albums too though. Maybe rank them separately from worst to best? ::)

This song was already great. This is effectively a triple-length Praxis remix:

Hard to tell what Buckethead contributed here; credited only as "lead guitar". But having reminded myself of what the original sounded like, the rhythm section is definitely beefed up quite a bit by Laswell (& possibly Buckethead); Bernie's keys are subtle & unobstrusive too, but effective. Middle section sounds totally new; definitely Buckethead riffing on the second half too; & lead work obviously him.

Last edited:
Merry Christmas, Bucketheaders!

438656.jpg

I didn't have many hopes for this album, but it was a charmingly great one nonetheless. I don't really know much to say except it was a cool listen. Those Lurker at the Threshold tracks were cool, but they're not really the highlights since everything else was spot on too. Very nice album, and next up, Crime Slunk Scene... can't wait!

Rating: 8/10

Back