Buckethead

It's also the last before a string of very weak albums.
438602.jpg

Well, given the quote above, I went into this expecting a weaker album. I didn't find one. I was moderately impressed. In fact, I could get used to this kind of thing, and makes me have a bit more hope for Bermuda Triangle. Overall, there were a couple parts that dragged, but few and far between - I was surprised how fast it went by. Possibly one of my favorites I've heard so far - not as good as Monsters and Robots first 2/3s, but around the level of Giant Robot. Pretty good.

Rating: 7/10

438611.jpg

This album isn't bad, and there are a lot of cool ideas within it, but.... it's pretty fucking long. Nothing gets fleshed out, which isn't a bad thing per se, but it does feel like he had a lot of ideas and only an hour to use them, and yeah. Drags quite a bit. That said, his electronic style isn't as bad as what many say. Plus, his heavier moments are actually quite nice. Still, a meh album overall. Takes a lot of patience to listen to.

Rating: 5/10

Looks like tonight'll be Bermuda Triangle night! :ok:

438619.jpg

This, my friends, is the best Buckethead album I've heard yet. Maybe that's just bias, as I'm an avid researcher of and heavily interested in the Bermuda Triangle. And yes, there are moments in this album that can drag. And Buckethead hasn't mastered the production yet. But aside from these, I really have nothing to complain about. Everything from the Twilight Zone-like beginning to the eerie, hopeless ending is spot-on. It all fits together. It starts out feeling a little cheery and ends feeling lost, depressed, and like I already said, hopeless. It's a damn good album. Lovely stuff listening to it in the background of whatever else you're doing. Or even just listening to it. I read the reviews - not the best album, has its moments, but ultimately a throwaway. I listened to it. I liked it. This one is likely to be the first I'll revisit anytime in the future. Not perfect, but really, really good.

Rating: 8.5/10

Glad you enjoy the Electronic style, there are interesting things here and there (Bermuda Triangle is definitely the best of the bunch) but it's overall pretty same-y. Also compared to other Electronic music, it's pretty average IMO. But for a Rock musician experimenting with electronics, it's at least interesting.

Bermuda Triangle is actually the only Buckethead album I have a physical copy of so far (that will change when BH3 arrives :D ).

Bermuda Triangle was so good I decided to listen to it again. Yep, still a good album. In fact, this time around, I detected no moments whatsoever that dragged. It was all an enjoyable, cheery slowly turning to eerie (particularly in the last ten minutes), and my only issue with it is that the production is a little off... and yet, it still works in its favor. I'm tremendously happy that he was able to craft an album this good out of the Triangle, and one that fits so well with the legend. 911, BTW, is one of my favorite songs from him I've heard yet. This album is going to be getting many more listens in future. I'm very happy with it, and in fact, I'm changing my rating:

New Rating: 9.5/10

Since I skipped over it, I decided to step back and listen to

438829.jpg

On the plus side, the fact that it's only 19 minutes long makes this somewhat decent. If it was longer, I'd probably find little to enjoy. As it is, poor production, random noises, and other weird stuff hold this EP back from actually being a good record. Of course, it might just be that I'm holding Bucket to higher standards now that I've heard Bermuda Triangle, but yeah, it's meh.

Rating: 5/10

I have skin piles but I’ve yet to listen to it. Maybe this weekend.

I have skin piles but I’ve yet to listen to it. Maybe this weekend.
Well well well....

You should be listening to Giant Robot NTT (1996) at this point...
Alright, I'll check it out. Also, given the difference between Mosh and my thoughts on Bermuda Triangle, I'm interested in hearing your thoughts and rating as well. Actually, I'm interested in hearing what they are for all the albums so far.

438624.jpg

Right off the bat, this is what I wanted Colma to be more like. It's emotionally, it's heart-wrenching, it's pondering, and it's a damn good album. No Bermuda Triangle (which, BTW, has been bumped up to a 10/10 and is in my Top 10 of favorite albums now) but certainly the second-best thing I've heard by him yet. It's long, but it doesn't feel long. Great stuff.

Rating: 8/10

Alright, thanks. I'm not adverse to purchasing one for $50, but I'm trying to scope around a bit so I don't end up blowing it too fast.

Back