Bruce's Solo Discography Ranked - The Complete List

I don't really like the production on The Chemical Wedding. The drum sound particularly stands out as pretty bad, it even reminds me of Steve's (failed) production attempts on A Real Live One, A Real Dead One and Live At Donington. It also sounds smashed, as if it were compressed beyond reach (which it wasn't, so there's the problem). However, the music always comes first, so this doesn't keep the album from still being a 10/10.

I think the production is awesome. I do agree that the drumming isn't spectacular, but this album doesn't need spectacular drumming. It just needs very good drumming that gives it a driving edge and that's what we get and that's why I like it.

I prefer AOB in both songs and sound. A warmer and more melodic album.
So I have read that you think that The Chemical Wedding is an inconsistent album. I'm interested in hearing you expand upon that. What songs make it inconsistent? What makes AOB more consistent?

The Chemical Wedding has these lesser songs on it:

Killing Floor
Machine Men
The Alchemist* (first couple of minutes are awesome, the rest doesn't add anything)

A higher amount of songs from this level than on AOB.

Omega and Arc of Spades form a much better ending to the brilliant Accident of Birth.

Accident of Birth is a very melodic and well sounding album. I realize many people (including Bruce himself) prefer The Chemical Wedding and that album has some of my favourite tracks (e.g. King In Crimson) but as a whole album I find AOB more enthralling to listen to. It has quite some nice moody moments as well.

Man of Sorrows (a fantastic song, every second of it!, the chord progressions are right up my alley when it comes to taste I guess), the title track, Taking the Queen, Starchildren, Darkside, Omega.... Not many CW songs come close to this wealth (and warmth!) of these songs. The mood, the melodies, the harmonies, the groove (Starchildren!), it's all there. I'd also say the album has more variation (and perhaps even originality). There's a full on acoustic song and the album contains more different rhythms. It doesn't have monotone segments as in Killing Floor and Machine Men which seem to lean more on rhythm/heaviness/dull guitar riffs. On most AOB songs there's more musical depth.

Highly enjoyable AOB tracks:
1. Starchildren
2. Taking the Queen
3. Accident of Birth
4. Darkside of Aquarius
5. Man of Sorrows
6. Omega

Highly enjoyable CW tracks:
1. King in Crimson
2. Book of Thel

Tower, the title track, Gates, Jericho and Jerusalem: However good, I put all of these below the 6 best from AOB.

* Alchemist is cool up til the solo (and the solo itself!). Then it starts to sound like "heard that before". I know it was meant like that (the reprise) but if I have to choose, than I rather go for something else.

I see. You probably remember quite well, Foro, my first listenings of Bruce's albums. Back then, the only track that stood out for me was Trumpets of Jericho, and that mainly because I'd heard it before. Then I gradually got into other songs - the title track, Book of Thel, The Alchemist - and more listens of the whole thing made me appreciate nearly everything. I did, however, think that Killing Floor, Gates of Urizen, and Machine Men were pretty weak - the last one I could barely remember how it went after listening to it.

However, after a time, when I came back to the album, I discovered that in fact there was and is nothing wrong with any song. I love it as a whole and each individual track stands up well on its own. I do like Accident of Birth, but TCW is such a tapestry of artistry that I really can't find a single fault in it.

In addition... it's tough to determine the "best moment in music history" but the ending of The Alchemist is a brutally strong contender. From just after the solo when Bruce does his "aaaaahhhhh" part to the reprise of the title track's chorus, and including the spoken word at the very end, it's beautiful, emotional, completely awesome. I love it.

The Chemical Wedding makes you feel like you're really taking part in one and furthermore, I want the title track at my wedding if I ever have one.

I love it as a whole and each individual track stands up well on its own. I do like Accident of Birth, but TCW is such a tapestry of artistry that I really can't find a single fault in it.

I agree. There are some songs that are superb and others that are not, but still really good (e.g. Killing Floor)

In addition... it's tough to determine the "best moment in music history" but the ending of The Alchemist is a brutally strong contender. From just after the solo when Bruce does his "aaaaahhhhh" part to the reprise of the title track's chorus, and including the spoken word at the very end, it's beautiful, emotional, completely awesome. I love it.

That is also one of my favourite moments in music history. The reprise of the title track's chorus is monumental.

I listened to the album earlier today, but after reading your post I am going to give it another spin. And so we lay, we lay in the same grave, our chemical wedding day... :notworthy:

I agree. There are some songs that are superb and others that are not, but still really good (e.g. Killing Floor)

That is also one of my favourite moments in music history. The reprise of the title track's chorus is monumental.

I listened to the album earlier today, but after reading your post I am going to give it another spin. And so we lay, we lay in the same grave, our chemical wedding day... :notworthy:
Yessss!!!

"... comes the RAAAAAAAIIIIIINNNNNN!"

:p
Ah, you're just thinking in terms of Maiden. :ok:

Rime's scream + solo is definitely a Top 10 moment. There are quite a few I could name straight from Ahab's The Call of the Wretched Sea as well.

Agree 100%, with the addition that the first part of the song is just as good
The lyrics particularly are awesome

Don't try and blame me for your games
Your games are death
My world is light, the angels fill my eyes
With every breath

Just beautiful

Yep, I agree. Though I don't think The Alchemist is exactly my very favourite on the album (Book, Chemical, and Jericho are better IMO) but it's still a brilliant piece of music. I mention the ending because the song only gets better as it progresses - each sequence better than the previous one.

No, that's the best moment in the history of music.
I think you're mistaken, it is "I see a rainbow rising" actually! :p

To answer one of the most frequent questions (AoB > CM or the reverse?): I prefer AoB because the "weakest" songs (a pretty excessive term here, I should say "less godly" ;) ) - namely "Freak", "Starchildren" and "Welcome To The Pit"- are better, to me at least, than those on TCM ("Machine Men", "ToJ" and "The Alchemist") though it is more difficult to elect THE best between "Darkside of Aquarius", "Accident of Birth" and "Book of Thel".

I think Taking the Queen is the weakest between the two, not because it's bad - I enjoy it - but as I said earlier, Bruce has done the soft-then-heavy songs better elsewhere. Pit is weak lyrical but it feels so evil; Freak has a dumb lyric - "Who leads you to the dark secret?" (WTF is "the dark secret"?!) - but its execution is great; Starchildren is heavy and really gets the album going with a great performance from Bruce.

Meanwhile, ToJ, Machine Men, and The Alchemist are all perfection. :D

"I see a rainbow rising"
This is a great moment, though.

Back