Bruce's Solo Discography Ranked - The Complete List

The chorus is fucking gold.
Hmm, to me the chorus is where the song really falls down. Cheesy, sickly sweet harmonies don't go well with Bruce's voice or the tone of the rest of the song, IMO.

That's where it gets best, IMO. The rest of the song is good but not the greatest; the chorus elevates the whole thing.

Wow, that's interesting that you find AOB to be inconsistent and TOS not. I can't think of a single song on AOB that I'd call weak, but "Soul Intruders" and "Devil On A Hog" immediately come to mind as weak on TOS.
Disagree about Soul Intruders. A top 3 track from the album for me. Perhaps love for the heavier type heavy metal is needed? At least I love the riffing/drum work, chorus (stays in your head in a good manner) and solo.

My gripe with Tyranny is that most songs sound like "from the same mold" as we say here
There is a heavier-type-of-metal verse and than a melodic harmonized chorus
Gets old after 5th or 6th song of the same structure

Similar goes for Chemical Wedding o_O to an extent (more sound-wise than structure-wise I'd say), although the songs themselves are much better
I actually prefer AOB because of its "jumble" of styles. It may be more uneven, but more fun to listen to

Btw, Taking the Queen is NOT a weaker song, it's f***in masterpiece. And how it just transitions into Aquarius, fantastic

Wow, that's interesting that you find AOB to be inconsistent and TOS not. I can't think of a single song on AOB that I'd call weak, but "Soul Intruders" and "Devil On A Hog" immediately come to mind as weak on TOS.

I would say The Magician is not that great, but I find it much more interesting than those songs off Tyranny of Souls you have mentioned.

Taking the Queen is NOT a weaker song, it's f***in masterpiece. And how it just transitions into Aquarius, fantastic
My thing is that for an acoustic “sorta” track, Bruce has done it better, even on that album. I’d rather hear Omega.

It is not acoustic track since the calm parts build to a very aggressive and riff driven chorus, so they're there for the contrast. I'd say Man Of Sorrows is more "sorta acoustic" as you say because electric guitars are not very prominent, apart from the solo.
Also if you want TTQ acoustic;

9 and 7 for me. :p

Also:

From the BTP extra disc, Bruce released two songs, both called "No Way Out". I'd have been interested in seeing a concept album expanded the songs, but since we didn't get one....

Going through Bruce's solo discography, how would you assemble an album called No Way Out?

I tried it as such:

1. Abduction
2. No Way Out... To Be Continued
3. The Breeding House
4. Bring Your Daughter... To The Slaughter
5. Sacred Cowboys
6. No Lies
7. Cyclops
8. No Way Out... Continued
9. Believil
10. Tears of the Dragon

Yeah, but Mars Within doesn't quite feel right as a part of the album. I'd rather go with Toltec 7 Arrival.

I prefer "Toltec 7 Arrival" as well, but "Mars Within / Abduction" feels like "The Ides of March / Wrathchild" for me. I can't listen to one of them without listening to the other (same goes for "Toltec 7 Arrival / Starchildren").

Last edited:
I can listen to all three of those pairs separately, and I usually go directly to the actual songs when it comes to the Bruce ones. I like Mars and Toltec on the albums but I don't need to listen to them with Abduction or Starchildren. They're fine on their own.

I can do the same with Ides and Wrathchild, but... I can't decide which one is better because, like Hellion / Electric Eye, they really do work best together.

I can do the same with Ides and Wrathchild, but... I can't decide which one is better because, like Hellion / Electric Eye, they really do work best together.

Well, I like "The Ides of March" more than I like "Wratchchild", but if after "Ides..." ends that bass intro doesn't start playing, it's weird. :p

I used to like Ides of March more but after a while I couldn't be arsed to make an executive decision so I said fuck it and lumped them together and I'm happier that way. :ok:

I listened to The Chemical Wedding today with a couple friends of mine. Some of the choice comments were "holy shit, this is fucking blowing my mind" and "this album is a straight 10" and "god bless Bruce Dickinson".

Success. :ok:

I listened to The Chemical Wedding today with a couple friends of mine. Some of the choice comments were "holy shit, this is fucking blowing my mind" and "this album is a straight 10" and "god bless Bruce Dickinson".

Success. :ok:

I remember buying the album back in 1998 on the day of release and it blowing my mind. To me is the perfect marriage of classic metal and modern metal. :edmetal:

The production is near that of the other metallic offerings from the late '90s, certainly, but the writing isn't. Perfect, perfect, perfect, perfect goddammitall.

Back