Bruce's Maiden England performance

It certainly is not an easy song to sing. Bruce has had trouble with it forever.

It could be age, or it could be that Aces High was later in the set in 2012/13.

From my own experience, and this may just be me, it's easier to hit the highs later in the show than earlier because the voice is more warmed up and has already been stretched out. If anything, it's harder to hit the lows the longer you play.

From my own experience, and this may just be me, it's easier to hit the highs later in the show than earlier because the voice is more warmed up and has already been stretched out. If anything, it's harder to hit the lows the longer you play.

Bruce said in 2012, when discussing how challenging the set was from a singing point of view, that it took him a while to get used to it, and that starting the show with 'Aces high' is one thing, but starting the encore with it something completely different (i.e. more difficult).

I thought his whole performance that night was the best I've ever seen him. Aces in 2013 certainly pales in comparison...

As I posted before, the best 'Aces high' versions I have seen Bruce sing were from 2008-2009. I would say any other version would pale in comparison. :)

Last edited:
I noticed a quite different approach from Bruce on the Maiden England gig in Stockholm compared to earlier concerts I have been to. He sang many of the songs in a far more dramatic way, and he acted more than I have seen earlier (it that is the right word) which made him seem more into it. Many different stage costumes, for example. "Afraid to Shoot Strangers" is one example where it was very prominent, and of course Seventh Son.

I would say I got the impression that he is better than ever, even though I must admit that he didn't hit any of the higher notes in Aces High. He was probably at the top of his ability around the time of the reunion. In the 80's he had poor technique that had the effect of that his voice didn't withstand the long tours. Here is an example:

The last thing I want to do is bringing up the absolute worst performances of his career, but it is quite clear that he wasn't really always that great back in the 80's, which some fans seem to think of as an era where the band did everything right.

...I've never heard that before. It's painful.

The last thing I want to do is bringing up the absolute worst performances of his career, but it is quite clear that he wasn't really always that great back in the 80's, which some fans seem to think of as an era where the band did everything right.

I agree. Even on the 80's live albums, he's clearly less polished and sounds much worse than he does during the reunion years. I tend to agree with everyone else that 99-2000s are the best Bruce has ever sounded.

IMO, Rock In Rio is the best official live album when it comes to performances from everyone in the band- especially Bruce and Nicko. Flight 666 is a close second though, they were all on fire in '08!

Rock in Rio is incredible, the absolute best they've ever done, IMO. Flight 666 is also quite good, but it's a compilation, so it's just slightly less impressive.

That video of Hallowed is absolutely awful. It feels like nobody wanted to play it, they were just intent on rushing it

Personally, Bruce's voice did sound tired at points, to me. But, he can still put on a hell of a show for the audience, and I'd say he still has another 2-3 years of performing in him

Bruce is as professional as any rock vocalist ever, he's gonna perform for at least 10 more years.

That video was painful, by the way.

We don't hear of him singing badly these days, only avoiding sustained high notes, and maybe slightly simplifying things or encouraging crowd participation more often in place of singing constantly. If he was actually putting in duff performances or failing to hit notes, then I'd be worried. I get the impression he's still got a lot left in him.

Bruce was phenomenal at the show in Raleigh last month. I had actually been a little concerned as to how his voice would hold up, but he completely blew me away that night. I wouldn't be surprised though if he starts to slow down a little bit with his bouncing around the stage in the years to come, in order to make sure he continues to give strong performances vocally live.

I will say that my dad, who is a year younger than Bruce, was in complete awe of how great in-shape Bruce was when we saw the band live.

Bruce was phenomenal at the show in Raleigh last month. I had actually been a little concerned as to how his voice would hold up, but he completely blew me away that night. I wouldn't be surprised though if he starts to slow down a little bit with his bouncing around the stage in the years to come, in order to make sure he continues to give strong performances vocally live.

I will say that my dad, who is a year younger than Bruce, was in complete awe of how great in-shape Bruce was when we saw the band live.

I was at the Raleigh show, and my concern during that show wasn't his voice. He was killing it vocally. He just seemed a bit less energetic than in the past. There were only a few songs where he did his trademark "run all over the goddamn place." I remember during a break in one song when I expected him to come bursting out from behind the curtain for the chorus....he just kinda walked up there. But vocally, I have no complaints. He was better in 2013 than he was in 2012.

I actually don't mind the sound of his voice here, raw and unpolished. Well, it's a live audience recording from 1987 plus "he was ill" lol. And it's fast, man. Dianno era fast. Great bootleg.

It's a very nit picky business arguing when he was top of his game, as I see it everybody has made some good points about his recent form.
There's obviously some nostalgia involved in the following, but for me it is the 1983-1985 years plus the No Prayer Tour. He was also brilliant during the solo years 1996-1999.

Back