Bruce's Maiden England performance

He was ill obviously. In the eighties the tours were longer. We're comparing apples with pears.
... it is quite clear that he wasn't really always that great back in the 80's, which some fans seem to think of as an era where the band did everything right.
The last dozen of years also weren't always great. The difference between Rock in Rio and Death on the Road is quite disturbing.

Last edited:
Did you listen to only the intro and select parts or the entire song?

The full bootleg actually. Too much time on my hands today.
I like this bootleg, the end part in Hallowed where his voice breaks is awesome.

If this is the "worst" live performance by Bruce, I think many Maiden fans should re-think their wish for a full SIT show to be released, which has been a common complaint for many years.
A lot of the 86-87 recordings are "flawed". Just like this recording is "flawed".

So do the Germans. The English are the odd ones here.

Apparently the German version of "Don't count your chickens before the hatch" is "Don't divide the fur of the bear before you kill it".

Turks have two sayings for that:

Don't roll up your trouser's cuff before you see the stream.
Don't cut out briefs for a kid before he's born.

A few people were stumped/confused about how some of us turned a topic into discussing Bruce's current "long" hair a few days ago, and then I see this.

All I have to say on the matter is, at least talking about Bruce's hair was "Iron Maiden" related haha

You're right. Guys, let's move the idiomology discussion to an appropriate thread, or open a new one.

The last dozen of years also weren't always great. The difference between Rock in Rio and Death on the Road is quite disturbing.

To be fair to the guy, he was not fully recovered from illness when the band recorded "Death on the road" (they even had to cancel some dates due to the state of his voice earlier that month, something that is not that frequent with Bruce). ;)

His singing is much more consistent live nowadays than in the 80s. The tours are shorter, that is true, but he has improved significantly as a singer since he went solo.

.. at least we are just picking fruit .. not slaughtering animals :)

I thought Bruce sounded real solid on this tour. It is clear he is not in his prime any more, but he can still make some songs sound excellent.

Back