Bruce Dickinson

What are they saying? Just for curiosity. Thanks in advance

It is worth a read if you have the time:

Alex Elena does not mince his words! Chris Dale is more diplomatic.

Alex Elena
how can you know the people of Sarajevo if you only spend 4 days there?
How do you know what they think or what they need to heal from that big ordeal called war?
I call it the white man sindrome.
Like those white people that spend 3 days in Africa and they think they can solve their problems.
The answer is no.
You can’t write anything if you don’t do the due research.
And to do so you have to go to Sarajevo and TALK to the people there.
It’s easy to talk when most people in this group have never been to a war zone...
No offense but this matter is really dear to me as i consider Sarajevo my second home...

This was a response to one fan's comment that was being rather optimistic about the project and Bruce himself. Overall, the comments section is very different from the typical fan discussion where Bruce is just awesome and everything he touches turns into gold.

Here's a comment by a Turkish fan:

Well apparently he was yelling "fucking turks" in the backstage when he visited istanbul for one of his business speeches and he was pushing people around. We have heard this from multiple sources. You may be having a bad day but racism? Also got undressed in front of turkish airlines personnel in 2011 and swore at them. Look, for the last 10 years or so he seems to be a bit different person, treating fans horribly etc... maybe that's what money does to you, who knows? But yeah, he likes to have "medals", that's for sure.

Another guy commented on Bruce:

İ think his character was changed year by year when he joined back to Maiden. With a kind of commercial success over years, he has become more capitalist and conservative. Too much money might change some people.

So yeah, people there are quite skeptical about the movie.

Everything about this guy smells for the last couple of years. He appears routinely only to market a product or event. His Brexit business-owner shit was the tell tale, in a hindsight. Arguing you can "create jobs" that outweigh every perk that Brits had out of EU is downright silly, UK politicians weren't sure of the scope of economic reprisal, yet you with your couple of million of pounds claim you can give better life to general public if they let you run your little CEO game and de-regulate shit.

The guy I started to follow in the 90s was disenfranchised, working class, non conservative metal god, in the shadows of small clubs grinding his act in the sweatpants. I'm not so sure how that connects anymore.

This whole thing obviously stinks. I'm interested in Bruce in regards to Maiden and his solo record. I don't care for his book tour, I've only read his book once, never saw The Chemical Wedding movie and I will pass on this as well.

And yeah, Bruce has seemingly had a change of character of sorts in the past 10-15 years.

He appears routinely only to market a product or event.

My scope towards this matter isn't quite as big as yours, as I've jumped the Maiden/Bruce fanship a bit later, but my observation is that after the early reunion years, he wasn't that prominent in the media and even with Maiden-related things, he wasn't really "out there" that much. Then again, the whole field of media has changed drastically over the past two decades, but still. Over the years, however, it seems that he's become much more involved in the Maiden brand, and actively involved in creating some sub-brands for that. Also, the cancer period made him much more prominent in different fields of media, and he has stayed there, being very eager to talk and promote his projects. Back in the day, he wasn't, at least I've understood so, that thrilled about being interviewed as much as he's been recently, not to even mention him attending several relatively small YouTube interviews and stuff like that. It's kinda neat turn, of course, but it's obviously a marketing move too. Not saying it's wrong, but he's definitely taken a step towards the businessman category and step back from the musician foremost. And no wonder, wherever he goes, people seem to like his act. He has always been very good with marketing his things. He's a guy that could sell lawn mowers to Sahara.

Granted, the act is good. I like it. I like how he performs and I do think he's rather inspirational with his words. But behind the showman, he's always given bit of a grumpy and slightly volatile, yet positively eccentric picture of himself. That's the picture I've gotten over the years. And it seems that he has indeed moved quite far from the field he used to operate in - for better or worse.

Last edited:
Over the years, however, it seems that he's become much more involved in the Maiden brand, and actively involved in creating some sub-brands for that.

I'm leaving an option that there's a sort of PR, hype build-up thing in what he does, for the greater good of new Maiden epoch that is album/tour. Like everyone is going to hit the stages once situation allows it, and people don't have infinite money or time. Therefore marketing needs to ensure Maiden gets enough attention. So Dickinson gets on the media tour about anything, "Iron Maiden" starts appearing in the news.

I'm leaving an option that there's a sort of PR, hype build-up thing in what he does, for the greater good of new Maiden epoch that is album/tour. Like everyone is going to hit the stages once situation allows it, and people don't have infinite money or time. Therefore marketing needs to ensure Maiden gets enough attention. So Dickinson gets on the media tour about anything, "Iron Maiden" starts appearing in the news.
If it's about appearing in the news they might think of burning a church or something...

I liked him - he always had interesting and intelligent things to say. But for the past 10 years or so, I've had the feeling that he's been reheating the same pork chop. And when he's not in front of the cameras, he seems to be acting like a total jerk. That's why I give up following everything he does that has nothing to do with music. An example with a film and another tour promoting the book shows how detached he is from reality - what will appear in it, covid journals?

Live Nation is promoting his tour as his "first ever spoken word UK tour".

Must have been a different Bruce Dickinson I saw do a spoken word tour in Salford in 2017, then.
I'm guessing it's a separate thing from the book tour then: ie a couple of hours of him talking bollocks, just without trying to sell anything in particular :D

Back