Bruce Dickinson

I can't buy that Bruce's heart wasn't in it on Accident of Birth and The Chemical Wedding. Both of those albums feature lyrics in topics Bruce is very passionate about.

Sonically, both of those albums are nothing like Maiden save for Road to Hell and The Tower anyway.

Anyone know Bruce's son? Is it David Eric Grohl?
Richard Dwight Chamberlain is Bruce's real name, I have seen the signature in elementary school.

On 2nd thought that's a slight exagerration. I have seen him employed with that name, but his real name he wanted to tell me once and he never got to. It was said once on the air on MTV news. It clearly existed to tell me the real name of Bruce and the real name of Lucifer as well. The voice of Darkness in Legend? I wished I remember.

Last edited:
The impression I got from Bruce's early solo stuff was that one of the things he wanted to do (that he felt Maiden wouldn't allow) was to write more about stuff that was personal to him. Then Maiden also started to branch out into writing about personal experience - at least in part as a result of Bruce's departure.

Oh the irony ...

Bruce talks a bit about the different scraped albums with Tsangarides, Olsen etc in this clip here...

A few stabs at Maiden/Harris as well, especially in regards to songwriting...Oh and he basically also addresses what @John Silver was getting at, that he tried to make some very alternative albums, dabbling in computer/synth sounds and what not but ultimately just missed playing metal, and I guess is why he stuck with that :D

Last edited:
The impression I got from Bruce's early solo stuff was that one of the things he wanted to do (that he felt Maiden wouldn't allow) was to write more about stuff that was personal to him. Then Maiden also started to branch out into writing about personal experience - at least in part as a result of Bruce's departure.

Could you please provide some examples?

The X Factor.

I need specific examples of songs that relate to personal experiences (i.e. from the songwriter's life), not dark brooding rumblings about things like war. With the exception of Judgement of Heaven and 2 A.M. I do not find anything remotely personal in the songs off that album.

Almost every part of TXF is dark and brooding and borderline depression, which is exactly what Steve was feeling in 1995. The songs may be based on things like war and such, but they're written by a guy who's just so fucking done with everything at that point in his life. Yes, they're personal lyrics about what Steve and co. felt at the time, even if the topics discussed aren't so much.

I need specific examples of songs that relate to personal experiences (i.e. from the songwriter's life), not dark brooding rumblings about things like war. With the exception of Judgement of Heaven and 2 A.M. I do not find anything remotely personal in the songs off that album.
Well, you've found two yourself. I'd add "Look for the Truth" and "The Unbeliever" to the list.
Do you think that The Educated Fool is an autobiographical song? Apart from the reference to wanting to meet a father beyond, I am not so sure the educated fool is Steve...
There's also "I want to leave my life on my own". But it doesn't need to be autobiographical in order to be personal. "Educated Fool" is a series of thoughts/musings but they seem (to me at least) to be particularly heartfelt. I think it's just things his mind was running on at the time.

Almost every part of TXF is dark and brooding and borderline depression, which is exactly what Steve was feeling in 1995. The songs may be based on things like war and such, but they're written by a guy who's just so fucking done with everything at that point in his life. Yes, they're personal lyrics about what Steve and co. felt at the time, even if the topics discussed aren't so much.

Using the same reasoning you can argue that every song written by Steve is a reflection of how he felt at the time.

Feel like I've been here before? Deja vu!
Shall I go for a run? The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner!
Has my old nemesis rejoined Maiden? The Thin Line Between Love and Hate!
Have I had a terrible nightmare? The Number of the Beast!
Have I watched a great film? Where Eagles Dare!
Have I been reading the Daily Mail for too long (being a fool, albeit not an educated one)? Age of Innocence!

:D

I think it's just things his mind was running on at the time.

You could say that about any of Steve's lyrics... ;) One could argue that Man of Sorrows, written following the death of some relative and an old school friend, is much more personal than any of the lyrics off The X Factor that have been promoted as reflecting a more personal side to his lyrics.

Don't get me wrong: Steve has written or co-written some of the best metal songs of all time, but I do not find his lyrics - for the most part - to be that great.

I mean yeah, pretty much anything anyone ever writes is personal in some way. Maiden have always struck me as a really personal band, as you can see their opinions, interests, and beliefs in fool display on just about every song (barring a few).

Tell me father where have you been/All these years in original sin/I saw you each day, we had nothing to say/And now it’s too late to begin
I’d like to know where people are getting the lyrics for this, and whether there’s a recording circulating somewhere...

With Skunkworks I personally felt he was on track to a very diverse and entertaing solo path. I liked how the lyrics were personal and not stories.
But then he relented. Went back to heavy metal and the Maiden formula he despised so dilligently just a few years before. I felt it then, I feel it still. He's in it to win it. Not to expand or stretch.
He gave us The Chemical Wedding so I don't care if he was just in it to win it, cuz he fuckin' won it, buddy. :ok:
The good news is you’re both right.

I’d like to know where people are getting the lyrics for this, and whether there’s a recording circulating somewhere...
Bruce wrote about it in What Does This Button Do?

One thing was clear to me. The word 'cathartic' was starting to apply to the entire process, and flying was amplifying reality. I had written a song called 'Original Sin', which was about the relationship between me and my father. It never made the album, but it's one of the darker songs from the Keith Olsen sessions. I felt quite guilty about the chorus. Maybe it was just me feeling sorry for myself; maybe it was too cruel.

Tell me father where have you been
All these years, in original sin
I saw you each day, we had nothing to say
And now it's too late to begin

Whatever the result of the song - good, bad or indifferent - it was those words that made me wonder what I was doing in Iron Maiden, given the way the albums were going.

Richard Dwight Chamberlain is Bruce's real name, I have seen the signature in elementary school.

On 2nd thought that's a slight exagerration. I have seen him employed with that name, but his real name he wanted to tell me once and he never got to. It was said once on the air on MTV news. It clearly existed to tell me the real name of Bruce and the real name of Lucifer as well. The voice of Darkness in Legend? I wished I remember.
This post confuses me more than the disappearance of Flight 19.

Back