Bruce Dickinson

It is a fantastic heavy metal track, with very thought-provoking lyrics highlighting the not-so well-known atrocities committed by the Unit 731 and the subsequent cover-up by the American government. The whole thing is sickening.
As a non-native English speaker, I haven't paid much attention to the lyrics (I seldom do, other than when I read poetry). I think this dimension has to be taken into account: statistically, I'm not even sure that native English-speaking Iron Maiden (and affiliates) fans are a majority in the world. ;)

As a non-native English speaker, I haven't paid much attention to the lyrics (I seldom do, other than when I read poetry). I think this dimension has to be taken into account: statistically, I'm not even sure that native English-speaking Iron Maiden (and affiliates) fans are a majority in the world. ;)

True. Anyway, in my humble opinion the song rocks regardless of the lyrics. The lyrics just make it even better. :)

The lyrics seem silly at first until one dives through and discovers what Unit 731 is. Terrible stuff. Perfect song to sum up the whole enterprise.

Apparently, there would be some What Does This Button Do? book tour dates in 2019. So far, I am aware of two:

13/01/2019 Teatro dal Verme, Milan, Italy
24/02/2019 Arenberg, Antwerp, Belgium

I think The Breeding House, along with Winds of Change, Spirit of Joy and Firechild to name some other songs with a similar sound, are from the first album, the one produced by Chris Tsangarides and recorded with some musicians from Skin.
“Winds Of Change” and “Spirit Of Joy” were actually B-sides from Tattooed Millionaire, but you’re right about the others.

“Winds Of Change” and “Spirit Of Joy” were actually B-sides from Tattooed Millionaire, but you’re right about the others.

:confused:

Winds of Change (1994 version) is a re-recording of the Tattooed Millionaire B-side (expanded with additional lyrics). Spirit of Joy is also a B-side for Tears of the Dragon, a cover of the Arthur Brown's Kingdom Come song with a drum machine thrown in for good measure as a homage to Arthur's pioneering use of one back in the 70s.

Both tracks can be found on CD2 of the Tears of the Dragon single. :)

Last edited:
:confused:

Winds of Change (1994 version) is a re-recording of the Tattooed Millionaire B-side (expanded with additional lyrics). Spirit of Joy is also a B-side for Tears of the Dragon, a cover of the Arthur Brown's Kingdom Come song with a drum machine thrown in for good measure as a homage to Arthur's pioneering use of one back in the 70s.

Both tracks can be found on CD2 of the Tears of the Dragon single. :)
Ah, I didn’t realize there was a re-recording of “Winds Of Change”. “Spirit Of Joy”, you’re right. I thought that was on one of the later Tattooed Millionaire singles, and Google itself said it was from Tattooed Millionaire, but on closer inspection it’s not. :confused:

I think The Breeding House, along with Winds of Change, Spirit of Joy and Firechild to name some other songs with a similar sound, are from the first album, the one produced by Chris Tsangarides and recorded with some musicians from Skin. Songs like Over and Out, No Way Out... Continued, Tibet, etc. are from the Keith Olsen album.

I believe the only songs from the Balls to Picasso sessions are those co-written by Roy Z and that no B-sides were written. Tears of the Dragon is the only song on the album predating the writing sessions with Roy.
Are you implying that Roy might not play guitar on The Breeding House ?

Winds of Change is obviously Tattooed Millionnaire era. It was a b-side from TM single:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tattooed_Millionaire_(song)

Last edited:
Well it’s an educated guess. It doesn’t sound like Roy (or the Tribe of Gypsies for that matter) and I’m guessing based on the timeline that it’s the members of Skin playing on the recording.

Edit: Plus those songs were all scrapped. I don’t think anything other than Tears was revisited when Roy got involved.

Why could it not be the same people as on Tears of the Dragon.

Even if it's true (I'm tending to believe it now), I find it very strange that another guitarist was used on a b-side without mentioning that.
If they are not crediting other people, a lot of listeners are obviously going to think it was Roy (and others). Why would they want to make people think like that?
I feel fooled. One of my favourite Bruce songs, and I don't know the fuck who is playing that killer riff at 3:30.
I always assumed it wasn’t him.
Always, and why are you telling it now then. Or had you told it before? Wake us up earlier please, next time. You too Ghost. ;)

Last edited:
I think it was written and performed during the Balls sessions but have nothing to back it up. It just feels that way. As an early in the sessions recording just like No Way Out... To Be Continued. The songs felt fine without adding percussion. BH is probably the one Bruce talked the least about from everything he did in his whole career. Such a shame imo.
No way out... those are great songs buddy.

Dunno. Had never seen it discussed until now. There are probably uncredited musicians on the Keith Olsen stuff too. I don’t have access to my CDs right now, but I only remember seeing credits for people who played on the album proper. Again, I’m just making a guess here but I don’t think any of the b-sides feature Roy Z or the Tribe.

Probably uncredited musicians on b-sides from other albums as well. Is Janick credited on the Man of Sorrows demo?

The version of Tears that made it onto the album seems to be a hodgepodge of different versions. We know there’s a different drummer than on the rest of the album (that’s credited) and based on demos we can gather that the song went through different revisions before the final form. So Breeding House probably has the same drummer as Tears, but I doubt it was also revisited with Roy if there was no intention of putting it on the album.

I find this period of Bruce’s career really fascinating because of this discussion. There’s a lot we don’t know and probably three albums worth of material that the Balls bonus disc might only scratch the surface of.

Winds of Change (1994 version) is a re-recording of the Tattooed Millionaire B-side (expanded with additional lyrics).
Wait a minute... does this mean that the TM b-side is the "winds of change, roll over us" quiet one and the BTP b-side is the "WIIIIIIIINDS OF CHAAAANGE ROLL OOOOOVER UUUUSSSSS" loud one? I just assumed the live version from Dive! Dive! Live! was just done... for the concert.

I find this period of Bruce’s career really fascinating because of this discussion. There’s a lot we don’t know and probably three albums worth of material that the Balls bonus disc might only scratch the surface of.
It sure is mysterious. It is shady, and I don't like that, but now I find it extra interesting to know who are these guys.

Back