Bruce Dickinson

After hearing the muddy Mandrake Project are you sure about wanting Roy for the next Maiden album? :/ I think there is a huge decline in his producer talents. I couldnt believe the sound in Mandrake that it came from someone who did AoB, Angel of Retribution, Dark Ride etc.
Sorry, but I won't green-light Roy as producer of the next Iron Maiden album. :D

How about Zakk Wylde?

Roy has just announced a collabariation with a (yet undisclosed) big name in Metal.
So I guess that explains it then. I think Roy is not a big fan of touring. Writing, playing and producing more.
After hearing the muddy Mandrake Project are you sure about wanting Roy for the next Maiden album?
I think there is a huge decline in his producer talents. I couldnt believe the sound in Mandrake that it came from someone who did AoB, Angel of Retribution, Dark Ride etc.
Agreed about Maiden and Roy. I don't think the production is that much different from the other 2000's albums onwards, but it wasn't expected from Roy (more or less), although he is not the only one responsible for the production. TOS will remain the best produced album. I guess they wanted something different, like the guitar approach (or not?), although that will remain a mystery it seems.
Some really cool melodic and riffy playing here. Original music? Exactly such riffs are missing from Roy in Mandrake.
Setlist was edited and it seems like it was the same as at the Observatory.
Expected, I guess. I think there will be changes for the Brazil shows. Or even an extra song. Maybe Urizen, Kill Devil Hill, Man Of Sorrows.

As for the keytar, I like it, but it depends on the song. Guitars are the best ofc. I really like the additional solo for Accident, I must say. I also like that some parts (like the chorus melody of Abduction) are more prominent live.

Last edited:
After hearing the muddy Mandrake Project are you sure about wanting Roy for the next Maiden album? :/ I think there is a huge decline in his producer talents. I couldnt believe the sound in Mandrake that it came from someone who did AoB, Angel of Retribution, Dark Ride etc.
Roy Z is not the one who mixed and mastered 'The Mandrake Project'. It's Brendan Duffey who mixed and mastered this record. So, with the previous work of Roy Z on Bruce Dickinson's albums ('Accident Of Birth', 'The Chemical Wedding', 'Tyranny Of Souls'), Judas Priest album ('Angel Of Retribution'), Halford's ones ('Resurrection', 'Crucible', 'Made Of Metal') + some other bands and artists as Rob Rock, Helloween or Andre Matos solo ('Time To Be Free'), it's clear that Roy Z is more than competent to produce, mix and master Maiden's upcoming album, imho. ;)

Last edited:
Well, if it’s a big enough name it would be a more likely explanation that Roy jumped ship for another gig. Who’s in the market for Roy’s work right now? Priest just finished an album and are about to tour so I assume they’re out. Ozzy probably isn’t doing anything?
Scorpions or Def Leppard.

Ozzy is trendy and are using Andrew Watt

Last edited:
Think Roy is talking about Halford - he's doing a new blues album & probably won't tour with it.

Interesting to see how the set develops for the next shows. Still hoping for Soul Intruders & something off of Skunkworks.
The merch seems a bit of a letdown TBH. Was there a Mexican/South American tour shirt for sale yesterday?

Roy producing for Maiden completely misses the actual issue with the current Maiden productions. Kevin is a competent engineer and he isn't to blame for the problems. Steve calls the shots and is the one who decides stuff like "hey, this sounds great, let's release the album without mastering it", or "Adrian that demo sounds awesome, we'll put it on the album without rerecording it!" or even "Hey Bruce, that song is amazing, who cares if the outro makes no sense anymore?".

No matter who would produce future Maiden albums, they'd have to deal with Steve's decisions. For better or worse I think Kevin captures exactly what Maiden (or rather Steve) want to put out. To be fair though, the production mistakes on the second disc of SNJ are inexcusable.

Huh, I agree with you about Mandrake Project production quality. I quess, part of me still believes that Roy is capable to work wonders. At this point "Kevin Shirley" is so boring, you know. (I know that's Steve's fault. He's so bad at mixing desk knob twiddling
:ninja:
)

I wholeheartedly agree!

I believe we can rule out health issues. Roy has just announced a collabariation with a (yet undisclosed) big name in Metal.
It can't be just me who wouldn't get into such an important project while batelling serious helth issues.

Not necessarily. Tony Iommi had cancer and can't/doesn't want to tour anymore, yet continues to work. And he could have a bad back like Ozzy or Phil Collins.....

Roy didn't mix TMP though. He did, however, mix and produce Spirits of Fire's debut...

... And it's awful. Shame, because the songs and the performances are good, but when that snare drum hits in the opening track, I run faster than Usain Bolt ever did.

Exactly. Roy Z as Iron Maiden producer is not approved, I already said that. :bigsmile:

Back