Bruce Dickinson

My god they are on fire. Energized, completely in the zone, delivering with passion and sheer utter enthusiasm. Bruce is older and grayer than he was in the '90s but he is still KILLING it and in his fucking element. Bruce really sheds the years on "Starchildren", holy fuck. The Mandrake songs are super fun.
Goddamn it we are so fucking back.
The band was put together somewhat suddenly and surprisingly, so it's remarkable how well they work together. I don't feel like complaining about any details.
The shows will be fun.
This. It's amazing really. What a great band.
Once again there's a point where we disagree: be it metal or any other genre all I want is to enjoy the songs (no matter if they feature ten solos each or none at all). But then again, it's all a matter of perspective and taste so to each his own.:ok:
Oh, I enjoy and like the songs a lot, but it's such a big wasted opportunity.
I noticed fewer than expected guitar solos on TMP and also noticed the guitar solos that were present were very weak and below the standard I’ve come to expect from Roy Z.
Agreed.
Know one thing my friend, it’s Bruce at the helm and it Roy’s solos weren’t as terrific as those on TOS, TCW or AOB, it’s cause of how Bruce wants to direct his music. I do hope we hear some shreds on the next record.
It's how Bruce wants to direct his music ofc, but this has never happened before for his solo albums (except from some songs). Bruce or Roy should be asked about this because it's so weird.

My thoughts and feelings so far:

These 3 shows have given me a MUCH needed excitement boost for this tour.

I haven't been really 'feeling' The Mandrake Project' as an album - but that is ONLY to do with the MIX of the album. It could be the best best 10 songs on the planet, but if the mix isn't to my tastes I just can't get into something (and that's the same for any artist I enjoy, not just Bruce). I digress :)

So when Bruce played Friday's first show with such epics like Accident Of Birth, Chemical Wedding, Road To Hell, Darkside Of Aquarius etc, I was like "YEAH, I'm into this!!!" :bigsmile::applause:

You can imagine my reaction when he added Starchildren and The Tower on Saturday...

:bigsurprise:

I'm loving it so far, and I do understand it's good to spice up the setlist from night to night if you can do that, BUT can Starchildren and Road To Hell be constants in the show to Bruce or anyone in the management team who probably reads these forums??

The downside if every show is a slightly different setlist is you are dictated the songs you are seeing by the show you are going to, which is a little bit unfair in my view...

What does everyone else think?

My thoughts and feelings so far:

These 3 shows have given me a MUCH needed excitement boost for this tour.

I haven't been really 'feeling' The Mandrake Project' as an album - but that is ONLY to do with the MIX of the album. It could be the best best 10 songs on the planet, but if the mix isn't to my tastes I just can't get into something (and that's the same for any artist I enjoy, not just Bruce). I digress :)

So when Bruce played Friday's first show with such epics like Accident Of Birth, Chemical Wedding, Road To Hell, Darkside Of Aquarius etc, I was like "YEAH, I'm into this!!!"

The downside if every show is a slightly different setlist is you are dictated the songs you are seeing by the show you are going to, which is a little bit unfair in my view...

What does everyone else think?
I think this keeps the tour fresh. With Maiden after first 5 shows, I feel like they enter the auto pilot mode.

This will be a great tour and I think there should still be around 5 songs that were rehearsed, but not played yet and will pop up at some point.

They really seem to be enjoying playing The Tower. I have a feeling that this song is here to stay now. Bruce got lost a bit during the 1st verse RTTH style.

Naslund is doing the Casillias backing vocals. "Searching for his blood" and "Killing!"

If Roy doesn't drop a word to congratulate the band in the next couple of days, I'd start to think that things are really bad between Bruce and him...wait and see
I'm not sure about that, but you have a point.
Well, that's the price to pay for it. But it's fresh and always exciting, which is great, especially since this is Bruce's first solo tour in 20 years. So many great songs to play. 3 shows so far, 4 set changes! This is so unusual for us Maiden fans. :lol:

Considering this is the ''official'' opening night of the tour, I think the setlist won't be more than 16 (plus the cover) songs.

But considering that they don't seem to have a dedicated drop-A guitars, I'd say it's unlikely.
Btw, I noticed Philip playing TCW songs with the 7-strings V. Ragnarok too, which Roy said used the sound from that album.
On an unrelated note, just watched halfway through Night 2 at the Whiskey, and noticed they tagged on the original minute-plus Keith Olsen version intro to Tears of the Dragon. I'd say that's a decent hint that some of the extra guitar tracks Roy had laying around were from that intro (which likely got cut from Shay Baby's version to make it more single-worthy). So, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see that wind up on the new iteration of Balls to Picasso.
Question is, will we also get the weird little flute outro with Bruce mumbling over it?
Indeed, yeah. Maybe they will add the original intro to the remixed version (not sure I want it), which now seems from Roy's extra guitar tracks. The flute outro is cool (could be an intro), but not needed imo. It sounds more like a fairy tale song. The longer version of the song also has nice double backing vocals for the chorus. The different solo is cool, but this song needs Roy's solo to be the perfect classic.

From ruining the experience of listening to Adrian's sublime 'Stranger in a Strange Land' solo by talking nonsense all over it on the Maiden tour, to now doing something similar with the 'Tears of the Dragon' solo with an attempt at playing the timbales... :facepalm: Bruce, please, focus on what you do best.

If Roy doesn't drop a word to congratulate the band in the next couple of days, I'd start to think that things are really bad between Bruce and him...wait and see
Not everything needs to happen in public though. People can have private conversations without the need to post it online to keep a bunch of people on a forum from guessing. That's how it used to be not so long ago.

Back