Bruce Dickinson

I find the album easier to get into than for example TFF, TBOS or Senjutsu - liked most of the songs on the first listen. Maybe it's the lack of (pointless) repetition.
Hard to say where this'll fit in my album rankings - beats the first two easily, not sure about the rest, time will tell.
And Roy was right on that one interview - this really isn't a 'guitar solo' album - not sure if Adrian would've even fit in there.

Man I hope Many Doors to Hell and Shadow of the Gods get played on the tour.

Wow, Shadow Of The Gods is majestic, the best song on the album right now for me. The low vocals in the verses are beautiful, the orchestration and pianos in the first part are great, the chorus is big and bombastic, and that Tyranny Of Souls-esque second part is ferocious. A 7 minute song with no shreddy solos, even though I love Roys shredding, makes Bruces' vocals really take center stage.

I don't know where are you listening the whole album but I'll wait 8 days more for the official release. I only view and listen the Ragnarok single. I have no hurry. (I guess it's what Bruce said after the last album in 2005)
There are some website that offers to download illegally this new record. But, there are only 8 days left before the official release, so not so long to wait from now. ;)

Those leaked songs may not be from the original pressing since they are found to be of poor audio quality. So, wait is worth a while.

Anyway, I've written my own review below on The Chemical Wedding (if anyone is interested)

After listening to the album a dozen times:
1) I am VERY happy that I purchased the Deluxe version. I would buy it once more.
2) At the moment, it's hard for me to find a weak point of the album. If I had to nitpick - Eternity has failed...
3)... it's great but I've already heard this song by Maiden and I feel like I'm hearing tribute band now.
4) All songs have that something that makes my go WOW - I hope that Bruce will record another album like that.
5) I like the subtle references to other songs from previous albums.
6) I don't know how to position the album compared to others. Chemical Wedding, for me, is one of GOAT metal albums. Skunkworks is amazing for what it is - Bruce solo album without magical 'maidenize' button pressed. Currently, I think this is a Top 3 album and its position will depend on the mood of the day.
7) After the first listen, I was afraid that the album would be like Senjutsu - difficult to absorb. I don't think so anymore. :)

I found it interesting that it's the exact same vocal take in the intro to If Eternity Should Fail and Eternity Has Failed. You could line them up in a DAW to confirm it. It still feels very different because of the different instrumentation, and different reverbs and delays, but the fact remains when Bruce said that when Steve stole his 2014 recording right off (don't remember exactly in what interview I saw it), he didn't lie. If nothing else, it is an interesting look into how two producers treat the exact same vocal take differently.

Back