Bruce Dickinson

Give me a break. This is ridiculous.
Ridiculous? So it's okay to criticize bad lyrics by Steve but as soon as one clunky lyric by Bruce is criticized it's "ridiculous"? Grow up.
The line sucks and this is a discussion board so it's fair game to discuss them. This hyper defensiveness by some fans lately as soon as the slightest negative is mentioned is getting obnoxious. You don't have to agree, but if you have nothing constructive to say just ignore and scroll along instead of being petty like that.

Last edited:
Ridiculous? So it's okay to criticize bad lyrics by Steve but as soon as one clunky lyric by Bruce is criticized it's "ridiculous"? Grow up.
The line sucks and this is a discussion board so it's fair game to discuss them. This hyper defensiveness by some fans lately as soon as the slightest negative is mentioned is getting obnoxious. You don't have to disagree, but if you have nothing constructive to say just ignore and scroll along instead of being petty like that.
I see. You are ridiculous.

It's memorable and somewhat catchy indeed, but so are many other choruses out there. The riff is... good, I guess, and manages to drive the song, but it's not particularly ingenious either. So I think decent/average ratings are more than understandable.
Interesting, I wonder if Run to the Hills or Trooper would have come out nowadays, would people also comment that riffs are good but nothing special. Chorus good but rather average etc. Or whatever 70-80s hit - Holy Diver, Iron Man, Master of Puppets etc.
I think time is what gives songs classic status and so since AOR is quite new the rating is also rather average. WotW was also at first time listening weird country piece but with live performances it has elevated it's status and rating.

Interesting, I wonder if Run to the Hills or Trooper would have come out nowadays, would people also comment that riffs are good but nothing special. Chorus good but rather average etc. Or whatever 70-80s hit - Holy Diver, Iron Man, Master of Puppets etc.
I think time is what gives songs classic status and so since AOR is quite new the rating is also rather average. WotW was also at first time listening weird country piece but with live performances it has elevated it's status and rating.

That is a fair point and I definitely agree with what you said about time giving songs their classic status.

But as it is, right now I think Afterglow of Ragnarok is very much in the "good, but not super spectacular- makes me hungry for more though!" basket and that is where the first single of any future album I'm interested in usually lands... so that's promising, in a way! :D But as you said, time will tell!

Have you seen the writing on the wall?
Have you seen that writing?
Can you see the riders on the storm?
Can you see them riding?
Seriously?
The melody is anthemic but the lyrics suck.
I don’t agree with this. Quite simple and to the point, but it works so well and gets the message across.

Random observations:

- The Mandrake Project "headquarters" or whatever in the video reminds me of the Sic Mundus lair from Dark - a brilliant Netflix series. Well, mainly the entrance and overall gloomy vibe did, anyway.

- The frame below and the short scene of Necropolis walking on the shore instantly reminded me of the Tears of the Dragon video and on the first watch it made me curious whether there might be more intentional references to Bruce's earlier videos, but apparently it was just a quick frame and just a coincidence!

tears.png

Last edited:
Youse all go on about production too much. A shit song with great production is still shit and a great song with shit production is still great.
Not sure if I agree. Production is important. So is performance. We can see that when comparing the TBOS version of If Eternity Should Fail with the demo version. It's the same song and you can already tell that it's a good song, but a proper production as well as the performances of the Maiden members let the song shine.

As a different example, choose whatever classical piece that you can think of. If it's popular there will be dozens or even hundreds of official recordings. Not all of them are equal. Some are too fast; some too slow; others are in the sweet spot. Some have dodgy performances; others nail it. Some have pristine audio quality; others might be very old and have relatively bad audio quality; others yet might have weird over-production applied to them making them sound wrong. They're all fundamentally the same music, but the details surrounding the recording are what makes you choose your definitive version.

A good song with bad production I enjoy in spite of the production. A good song with a good production serves to enhance my enjoyment. Why settle for less?

I take on board what you're saying, particularly the example. But the key point is, it's the song that matters, production isn"t the deal breaker. I get the feeling that some people have a box ticking exercise for production and would be happy with every song sounding the same and no band having any idiosyncracies or individuality.

Question:

I’m not expecting anyone to know the exact answer to this but I’ve not seen anyone else mention it.

Why has Bruce released a vinyl single with a mini graphic novel but no cd version yet the full album has a cd version with graphic novel but the vinyl version doesn’t have this option?

Yeah, was going to say I have no clue who or what "needledrop" is.
Anthony Fantano, a YouTube music reviewer. Probably the biggest modern day music critic actually, and a good one who’s fair but always leaves the door open for disagreement. I don’t think him disliking the song will hurt it by any means though, most of his fans are still mad at him giving that Kanye album a 6.

Back