Bruce Dickinson

^ @Yax, from what I've seen the consensus regarding the production seems to be that it's a step down from previous Bruce solo albums. The drums are a common complaint for sounding robotic and programmed. Bruce is also quite buried in the mix.
It's hard to keep track of all the "X album sounds better than Shirley's work with Maiden! Maiden should do modern, scooped metal production and ditch Shirley and have Steve equipped with super duper fancy hearing aids!" thread hijacks.

:D

So, I've been digesting the new single. It's a decent song, and Bruce is singing fine indeed. The chorus is catchy, but I don't think it gels naturally with the verses and the pre-chorus (the pre-chorus is pretty stock. It doesn't do much for me). From what I can tell from skimming the thread, the production has caused some to go "wow, Maiden should change their approach", while I certainly put myself in the other end. This is far from Roy Z's best. The synergies with his work on Spirits of Fire's first album are evident, with that dodgy, recessed mids "fat" drum sound that doesn't fit that well with the rest. It sticks out a bit like a sour thumb. Roy doesn't do this kind of production very well, while he's excellent with old school fairly "realistic" sounding records like CW, AOB, Resurrection (yes, is certainly sounds and is sample reinforced, but there is still a measure of realism and there are mids here). Sure, this is scooped and all, and a lot of people seem drawn to recessed mids. But just because there's treble and bass and can be perceived as "fat" doesn't necessarily make it great. As far as I'm concerned, this release is around the floor in terms of production quality I expect from a Bruce release.

All in all, this doesn't get me that excited about the new album, but it hopefully contains better tracks.

I personally think the song is very average, but the production is really mediocre. I am a big fan of the work Roy Z did in the late 90s/early 00s. The guy made metal sound modern whilst sounding classic at the same time, with Chemical Wedding being the perfect marriage - no pun intended - of classic and modern metal.

This new song is nothing like that, which is a shame. Let’s hope the rest of the album is (and sounds) better. Otherwise, I will end with an expensive deluxe CD collecting dust in my record collection. :(

It seems to me more like we were anticipating a more polished (and for many better) production than Maiden and that was clearly not the case. Drums are certainly more polished but to the point of sounding artificial.

AOB and CW aren’t the be all of metal production either, but they at least have some personality and sound like a band.

Here's the interview:

It is a good read, with some interesting information about the album's songs.
I really enjoyed reading that! Thanks for posting the link

If eternity is better overall.
Overall, I have to agree.
So, I've been digesting the new single. It's a decent song, and Bruce is singing fine indeed. The chorus is catchy, but I don't think it gels naturally with the verses and the pre-chorus (the pre-chorus is pretty stock. It doesn't do much for me). From what I can tell from skimming the thread, the production has caused some to go "wow, Maiden should change their approach", while I certainly put myself in the other end. This is far from Roy Z's best. The synergies with his work on Spirits of Fire's first album are evident, with that dodgy, recessed mids "fat" drum sound that doesn't fit that well with the rest. It sticks out a bit like a sour thumb. Roy doesn't do this kind of production very well, while he's excellent with old school fairly "realistic" sounding records like CW, AOB, Resurrection (yes, is certainly sounds and is sample reinforced, but there is still a measure of realism and there are mids here). Sure, this is scooped and all, and a lot of people seem drawn to recessed mids. But just because there's treble and bass and can be perceived as "fat" doesn't necessarily make it great. As far as I'm concerned, this release is around the floor in terms of production quality I expect from a Bruce release.

All in all, this doesn't get me that excited about the new album, but it hopefully contains better tracks.
At first I thought the same about the chorus transition (Steve is a master at this), but I don't think so anymore. The contrast is not abrupt, but rather nice. I'm excited about the album ofc and I think Bruce purpousley didn't released one of the best songs from the album this time (methinks). The album will have more special songs - like Maiden did with some Reunion albums.

As for the production, I kind of expected it and knew Roy wasn't going to make the best modern sounding album. I don't have a problem with the sound of the drums, but the mix should have been better. TOS has a much better production, the albums from the 90's too, which is really odd for me. But I like the production.

Bruce said the album is a heavy rock album, and that fits the first single, but I think and hope that by rock he meant metal. I think so. He said that's an amazing and special album and he loves all of the songs. Maiden's page also said something like that. He also said that it will be difficult to beat it. The only other time Bruce has said such thing was for TCW.
I personally think the song is very average, but the production is really mediocre. I am a big fan of the work Roy Z did in the late 90s/early 00s. The guy made metal sound modern whilst sounding classic at the same time, with Chemical Wedding being the perfect marriage - no pun intended - of classic and modern metal.

This new song is nothing like that, which is a shame. Let’s hope the rest of the album is (and sounds) better.
Very average, wow, only the instrumental work. It's a good song with the traditional catchy chorus from Bruce, but it could have been even better for its almost 6 minutes. Not saying this song will be like that, but imo all of Bruce's albums have at least 1 song that can't compete with the rest of the album or with the strongest songs (only Maiden are such a band for me). I think it serves its purpose as a single well, a very memorable song. With its melodic chorus, Bruce wanted to display -> the light and shade that the rest of the album brings.
The rest of the album will be better, it is described as: rich in musical textures. Roy teased heavier style/sound than TCW, but maybe not vocal-wise. I don't think we should expect Bruce to repeat himself and Ragnarok is a good example of that. The sound/production will be the same. It's a more polished production than Maiden.
It seems to me more like we were anticipating a more polished (and for many better) production than Maiden and that was clearly not the case. Drums are certainly more polished but to the point of sounding artificial.
The fans were anticipating much better production than Maiden and a fast really heavy song with soaring chorus. Bruce needs to deliver with the 2nd single big time. And I feel he will.

I don't think Bruce said anything in that interview that was quite different from what most of here said (or thought). Their appearance at PowerTrip raised few eyebrows right from the start, and I guess Bruce shared similar thoughts. Then again, it's not like they did a Vegas residency, I don't see it being that controversial. If they didn't announce 2024 tour and Power Trip being only US date on FPT- it would suck. Now it seemed like an easy cash. Speaking of that, there are also five more people in the band who I believe voice their concerns (now, how much does an each vote weight within the band is a different story). Also, there's this closer circle around the band and wider circle (Killer Krew and such) which I believe also got a hefty amount of money. So, twisting your plans a little so people dependent on you get a nice paycheck isn't such a big of a deal (and kudos to them for sticking at the same setlist although they obviously knew who is going to be in the audience). Again, it's not like it Vegas residency.

As per Bruce interview, it's not a first time he bites the hands that feeds him. At least this time, he's not doing it from the stage. It definitely isn't polite, but then again, I'd rather have somebody give me an honest opinion, than sugarcoating it. It may not be the smartest move from him business-wise, but it's little "faults" of his that make me respect him even more.

And that Kerrang interview was awesome.
EDIT: Is that the full interview? I thought magazines don't do that anymore. How is this beneficial to them?

Last edited:
After a week of listening I think that it's good song. Not great but very nice. Not as heavy as it could be. However I'm little afraid of this "one approach to vocals" thingy that Bruce have. I don't know why it is treated as a matter of pride.

After a week of listening I think that it's good song. Not great but very nice. Not as heavy as it could be. However I'm little afraid of this "one approach to vocals" thingy that Bruce have. I don't know why it is treated as a matter of pride.
For me this is a very good song that could have been more special with a different instrumental section. I definitely think there will be better songs on the album. If the outro vocals were the actual chorus, then it would be full-on heavy.
I think sometimes we take Maiden and Bruce's consistently strong songwriting for granted, especially comparing it with other bands. I mean, a song with such a melodic good chorus and quite different and great parts for 6 minutes can't be called decent or average. It's also very memorable.
Roy's solo is a let down, but he makes up for it with the great riff.

The ''one approach to vocals'' is indeed really odd, let's hope is for the best. One of the most anticipated songs is exactly the last one - the long epic from 1997. I really hope it will be something special.
I don't get the hate for the new song, I believe it's great. Bruce showing Maiden how it's done once again
I agree about the song, but not about the comparison between Bruce and Maiden.

I mean needledrop had it on the worst tracks of the week
Let's not confuse "hate" with different tastes or simple dislike. Hate is an extreme feeling of dislike or disgust combined with hostility. Here someone said that he thought this song was bad. I agree with the shortcomings he mentioned, but I disagree with the final assessment.

I must be old because I'm starting to get irritated when average things are described with extreme terms.

I mean needledrop had it on the worst tracks of the week
So? Aren't different opinions allowed? The video said it was "meh" and the criticisms mentioned are actually quite valid. The production isn't as good as the material deserves, so there's some backlash to that.

I mean, a song with such a melodic good chorus and quite different and great parts for 6 minutes can't be called decent or average.
Of course it can. It can also be called mediocre or bad. Or Fantastic or phenomenal. That's how opinions work.

It's also very memorable.
I wish I heard what you are hearing in the song because the chorus is neither good nor memorable to me. It's the weak link.

Also, kinda related:
Bruce has been known for decades for being one of the better songwriters in Maiden as far as lyrics are concerned. In the last few years I have noticed that he either knocks it out of the park with great lyrics (the chorus of IESF is one of my favorites), or he delivers some really clunkly and bad lines. Like, TWOTW for example:

Have you seen the writing on the wall?
Have you seen that writing?
Can you see the riders on the storm?
Can you see them riding?

Seriously?
The melody is anthemic but the lyrics suck. AOR has a similar issue:

I cross the shining seas
Eyes of creatures follow me

Phenomenally bad line from Bruce here. No idea why he didn't rephrase that.

Last edited:
I cross the shining seas
Eyes of creatures follow me

Phenomenally bad line from Bruce here. No idea why he didn't rephrase that.
He decided to go for assonance (repeating "I" sound) and a consonant echo (repeating hard "c" sound in a similar position) rather than just the rhyme. I didn't mind it in this case.

And what are you going to say instead, "Creatures' eyes, they follow me"? "Creatures' gazes follow me"? "Creatures watching over me"? "Creatures spying down on me"? I don't know that any of those are any better.

He decided to go for assonance (repeating "I" sound) and a consonant echo (repeating hard "c" sound in a similar position) rather than just the rhyme. I didn't mind it in this case.

And what are you going to say instead, "Creatures' eyes, they follow me"? "Creatures' gazes follow me"? "Creatures watching over me"? "Creatures spying down on me"? I don't know that any of those are any better.
I would've gone for something different entirely. None of the alternatives work either, but "Eyes of creatures follow me" is even clunkier than many of Steve's creations. It sounds like something a 3rd grader would write.

"Why these Creatures Eyeballs mean-mugging me? I feel them staring from across the sea!"

I think sometimes we take Maiden and Bruce's consistently strong songwriting for granted, especially comparing it with other bands. I mean, a song with such a melodic good chorus and quite different and great parts for 6 minutes can't be called decent or average. It's also very memorable.
Roy's solo is a let down, but he makes up for it with the great riff.

I slightly disagree. I like the chorus (and the song overall), but it's not super innovative or particularly impressive, especially given their (Roy & Bruce) track record. :)

It's memorable and somewhat catchy indeed, but so are many other choruses out there. The riff is... good, I guess, and manages to drive the song, but it's not particularly ingenious either. So I think decent/average ratings are more than understandable.

As for my personal opinion, I've grown to like the song more and more. It's nothing outstanding, but it's structure feels a lot more coherent for me now and even the messy, or brekdown-ish pre-chorus feels smoother now, albeit it's far from the best transitions.

So yeah, I like the song and I'm very, very excited for the album.

I would've gone for something different entirely. None of the alternatives work either, but "Eyes of creatures follow me" is even clunkier than many of Steve's creations. It sounds like something a 3rd grader would write.
Give me a break. This is ridiculous.

Back