Bruce Dickinson

I like this ancient Mandrake seal, but why do we always have to get covers without details and no background lately. We can't escape from them.
Only 10 songs, damn. At least most of them are longer. He cut more than 10 songs from the writing sessions!

''Eternity Has Failed'' is not that different title from IESF and is 1 minute shorter. The last 10-minute song is the one from the AOB era.
He included ''Face In The Mirror'' - but not Nightmares, I really wanted to hear it. Damn again, a bummer for me.

Also, no title tack! Odd.

The song titles make you think of a concept theme. I'm most curious to hear songs #5, 6, 8, 9 and 10.

I also like the Mandrake coin, but dislike black background.
He was inspired by TBOS, even back in 2014 I guess lol. Roy teased some pyramids, no such thing. Only on the promo poster.

Given the album's title, he could have putted some kind of an evil garden of all things as a background. It would be good, methinks.

Something curious: Bruce is with his Future Past tour stage costume for the photos in the booklet.

Last edited:
Not a bad song. Different. Is not a fast song but some cool parts. I think is not one of the best it could be like "killing floor" in cw.

One thing...... bruce looks horrible. I mean he is old he is in his 65. Okey you have prove that you are not bald...but come on he looks like a creppy guy from tales from the crypt. Im starting to miss the look from 99 LOL

Okay IESF confuses me. I knew the intro would be more or less the same (wow, those post-production tweaks helped it a fucking ton on the album version, thank God they didn't pull a Satellite 15 this time and literally use the demo as-is) but I'm pretty goddamn sure a bunch of the vocal takes are literally the same ones that are on TBOS. What the fuck? That's weird!
Were can i listen to it?

Not a bad song. Different. Is not a fast song but some cool parts. I think is not one of the best it could be like "killing floor" in cw.

One thing...... bruce looks horrible. I mean he is old he is in his 65. Okey you have prove that you are not bald...but come on he looks like a creppy guy from tales from the crypt. Im starting to miss the look from 99 LOL
:facepalm:

The video for the single is expected and kind of fun cheese. Some cool visuals.

More thoughts on ''Afterglow Of Ragnarok'' after many listens:
  • The chorus reminds me of the chorus of Devil On A Hog from TOS. The galloping riff of Eternity Should Fail.
  • TOS will remain Bruce's solo album with the best production. Tbh I don't know how that is possible.
  • The keys add a lot to the mood of the song, but only when listening with headphones. The production/mix doesn't do them a favor either.
  • It's odd, but I like the outro a lot more now. I even wish it was longer. It fits the dark vibe of the song better than the actual chorus. And it could have been a great post-chorus section instead of the ''again'' part, imo.
  • For his metal albums, the lead singles were usually some of the best songs on the albums, at least for me, but I feel like that won't be the case this time around time. I think the most important thing is that the song is memorable. But I have to admit that I like better the single from the previous album, Abduction. Both choruses are great, but I think I like the 2005 one a bit better. And it's not about the song being faster, some fans should understand that the groove is important, the new single can't be good if it's faster. Dave Moreno is younger than Nicko, but it's what works best for the song. TCW album is the perfect example of this. Now, I don't think the whole album will be mostly mid-tempo songs, but who knows.
  • I think Bruce shines best when he does soaring choruses like those on Power Of The Sun, Soul Intruders and Road To Hell. Basically with more power than the chorus of the new song. I expect the album to have more darker, powerful and high choruses.
  • In the end, I think the only weak part is the instrumental section. It's too short (like in Freak) and not interesting. At least the solo should have been longer - because it's very possible that there won't be many melodic passages on the new album. I never expected such a short solo from Roy now.

Should we expect a 2nd single next month? It's 50/50 now imo, and with 10 songs on the album. March is a long wait from now.

Edit: the 3:39 minutes long song Fingers In The Wounds sounds like a good candidate. I expect a Power Of The Sun-type of song from it.

Last edited:

More info from Maiden's site.

Across ten inventive, expansive and absorbing tracks, Bruce Dickinson and his long-term co-writer and producer Roy Z, have created one of 2024’s defining rock albums. Sonically heavy and rich in musical textures, it sees Bruce bring to life a musical vision long-in-the-making, and features some of the finest vocal performances of his career.

Line-up: Recorded largely at LA’s Doom Room with Roy Z doubling up as both guitarist and bassist, the line-up for The Mandrake Project was rounded out by keyboard maestro Mistheria and drummer Dave Moreno, both of whom also featured on Bruce’s last solo studio album, Tyranny Of Souls, in 2005.

Back