Bruce Dickinson

Considering how Bruce's lyric writing has changed in the last 5 years maybe we don't have to worry about the lyrics in Sonata being 80% the first, stream-of-consciousness, lyrics. Maybe it's just 5 minutes in a row of Bruce shouting "My Immortal Beloved" with various melodies :D

I am trying to lose this awful feeling that Bruce believes he wrote these women-empowering lyrics but got it horribly wrong...:facepalm:

First, I thought Sonata would be the song I will be most interested in but now (after reading about the Beethoven sample) I think it will be the song I will listen to the least (because I listen to real Beethoven). I am curious which of both will be true in the end.

The feeling is that these songs were laying around for too long....and than CLAP ,CLAP we have two weeks let's make an album coz everyone asks me about it during my spoken words....Joke aside, we haven't heard the whole album so let's hope these first two singles are the worst songs on the album

Anything off Balls to Picasso and a significant amount of material off Tattooed Millionaire piss all over these new songs, which is quite sad considering how long they have been allegedly working on them.
Totally disagree. These new tracks are easily better than at least half of those two albums, IMO.

I'm not a particularly big fan of the first two albums. There's like a handful of songs I enjoy between them and half of those songs are even B-Sides.

AOR is okay, RITG isn't even that. AOR at least goes into the right direction, but so far I'm whelmed.

I’m with you, Ghost. There are lots of songs on BTP that are stronger than this. Sacred Cowboys has a spoken verse but a stronger chorus; Shoot all the Clowns is funky and good fun; God of War rocks… I could go on.

I hope the rest of The Mandrake Project is more like AOR than Rain.

I hope the rest of the album is MUCH better than Afterglow of Ragnarok and (endless) Rain on the Graves.

Aren't the two songs we've heard newer compositions? I would say If Eternity Should Fail wipes the floor with all of ToS, so if there is more material on that level perhaps from the 2013/14 version of the album maybe the quality will pick up. Both of these singles probably would rank in the lower quartile of Bruce's discography for me though.

I am blown away by the quality of music -production -video of Rain on the Graves. Roy Z delivers in every aspect and the bass player is too good looking.
One of the best musical videos I've seen. And I worship the song too.

My excitement and awe are AMOLAD and Chemical Wedding level. There's a serious possibility that we have a masterpiece of an album coming.

I am blown away by the quality of music -production -video of Rain on the Graves. Roy Z delivers in every aspect and the bass player is too good looking.
One of the best musical videos I've seen. And I worship the song too.

My excitement and awe are AMOLAD and Chemical Wedding level. There's a serious possibility that we have a masterpiece of an album coming.
I wish I heard these songs with your ears and saw the videos with your eyes. I'm not being sarcastic, I'm genuinely glad that you like them this much. Goes to show how different tastes can be.

I wish I heard these songs with your ears and saw the videos with your eyes. I'm not being sarcastic, I'm genuinely glad that you like them this much. Goes to show how different tastes can be.

No Ragnarok video /song I didn't enjoy so much. I liked them but that's about it
But for Rain on the Graves as I said, I fell in love, I'm blown away. Yes, I perfectly understand what you say, I have a similar feeling of good-hearted jealousy when I recommend a good book or film to someone for the feeling they'll get when they read /watch it first time. :D

I woke up this morning and saw all those negative comments about Rain on the Graves, I couldn't believe my eyes.
So I pick up my laptop -->YouTube --> enter Rain on the Graves, just in case I missed something. I've listened /watched it about 10 euphoric times before I post again. It was getting better each time :)

I didn't follow much of this thread lately, due to my dislike of Bruce but my expectations are in the roof now.
I am thrilled that in both songs /videos there are references to William Blake and great attention to visual detail. The black & white photography of Rain of the Graves reminded me that of Jarmusch's Dead Man, also about Blake, not sure if it's intentional but great anyway.

EDIT: No wait, there's more... Comic series? I missed all that part. It's getting better by the minute :D

About the more energetic tempo and riffs under the verses, it would have worked better for sure, but I still don't know if I would have liked it (with its spoken verses). Maybe if the verses were a fast gallop (and not spoken) and the chorus is the same. It's a fun and not so serious song, I can't deny that.
Yeah I was thinking of El Dorado where it worked.

Back