Bruce Dickinson

I find Bruce‘s albums hard to rate. I have fond memories of listening to Tyranny of Souls on my walk home after my last GCSE exam. I had got on CD for my birthday in May but saved it as a treat until the middle of June. I binged Accident and Chemical wedding soon afterwards.

This is how it would currently stand.

1. Accident of Birth
2. The Chemical Wedding
3. Tyranny of Souls
4. Skunkworks
5. Balls to Picasso
6. Tattooed Millionaire

Although fourth, I would argue that Bruce’s best vocal performances ever recorded can be found on the Skunkworks album. Back from the Edge and Strange Death are stunning.

TCW cannot be anywhere else on a Bruce Dickinson list than #1.

It's not only a stone cold masterpiece, his crowning achievement and probably in the top ten of 90's metal albums but it's also better than anything Maiden released that decade by a country mile.

The fact that this came out the same year as VXI is stunning given how much of a stark contrast in quality there is between both albums.

I personally believe that TCW was the catalyst that convinced Steve that he needed Bruce and H back.
For sue TCW conviced Steve

See, this is why we always have problems. The Chemical Wedding is a runaway contender for the best album ever.
:ninja:

giphy.webp

Not even close.

Taking into account that @Vaenyr praises Virtual XI.... zero credibillity :D

Edit: Imo, The Chemical Wedding is better than anything Maiden has put out since 1989. As artistic statement, production wise, overall coherence, innovativeness yet maidenized. And after this, I still love Maiden. Can you believe?

And... we all will see... how our opinions will change after Kraken Mandrake will be released

Last edited:
Maybe a combination of Maiden being shit and Bruce making good music.
And awesome live shows. and bruce seeing maiden making bad albums and selling more and filling stadiums in S.A and small pabiliions in Europe. I saw Bruce in 1998 in a REALLY SMALL VENUE for less than 800 persons.

The Chemical Wedding is brilliant, but wouldn't make a top 5 Maiden list.

I think it is one of the best things Bruce has ever done, Maiden classics included. Perhaps only The Number of the Beast and Seventh Son of a Seventh Son are (slightly) better.

The Chemical Wedding is the perfect marriage (no pun intended) of modern and classic metal. A sublime album, an absolute masterpiece.

Since we’re doing this, below is my list along with favorite song off each album

1) The Chemical Wedding - The Alchemist
2) Tyranny of Souls - River of No Return
3) Accident of Birth - Man of Sorrows
4) Tattooed Millionaire - Gypsy Road
5) Balls to Picasso- Tears of the Dragon
6) Skunkworks - Inside the Machine

I find Bruce's albums hard to rate. I have fond memories of listening to Tyranny of Souls on my walk home after my last GCSE exam. I had got on CD for my birthday in May but saved it as a treat until the middle of June. I bing Accident and Chemical wedding soon afterwards.

This is how it would currently stand.

1. Accident of Birth
2. The Chemical Wedding
3. Tyranny of Souls
4. Skunkworks
5. Balls to Picasso
6. Tattooed Millionaire

Although fourth, I would argue that Bruce's best vocal performances ever recorded can be found on the Skunkworks album. Back from the Edge and Strange Death are stunning.

I think I can agree with you. I think Skunkworks marks the transition of Bruce’s voice from how he sounded as his younger self to how he sounds today.

Since we’re doing this, below is my list along with favorite song off each album

Interesting idea! I'll be using the bonus tracks as well, at least for the first couple of albums:

TM: Darkness Be My Friend
BTP: No Way Out... To Be Continued
SW: Back From The Edge
AOB: Darkside Of Aquarius
TCW: Chemical Wedding
TOS: A Tyranny Of Souls

Some of those are clear winners over the rest, some barely made in on top compared to the fierce competition of the runner ups.

TCW cannot be anywhere else on a Bruce Dickinson list than #1.

It's not only a stone cold masterpiece, his crowning achievement and probably in the top ten of 90's metal albums
Personal taste. I agree with that, although I think AOB has ''better'' highs, by a bit.
but it's also better than anything Maiden released that decade by a country mile.
I wouldn't say so. Every album has its own emotion for you.
I personally believe that TCW was the catalyst that convinced Steve that he needed Bruce and H back.
Both AOB and TCW imo.
The Chemical Wedding is brilliant, but wouldn't make a top 5 Maiden list.
This.
I would argue that Bruce’s best vocal performances ever recorded can be found on the Skunkworks album. Back from the Edge and Strange Death are stunning.
Best vocal performances of Bruce ever recorded? Powerslave, SIT, AOB/TCW, BNW, AMOLAD.
Imo, The Chemical Wedding is better than anything Maiden has put out since 1989. As artistic statement, production wise, overall coherence, innovativeness yet maidenized.
I'll give you all that, but better than anything Maiden since 1989 - I don't think so. As great as AOB and TCW are, Maiden's melodic approach in all eras is unmatched!
Bruce and Steve/Maiden have needed eachother to reach full potential. Both have released great music without eachother, but the true magic happens when Bruce is in Maiden.
Without a doubt!
I think it is one of the best things Bruce has ever done

The Chemical Wedding is the perfect marriage (no pun intended) of modern and classic metal. A sublime album, an absolute masterpiece.
I agree.
I would say that Adrian also needs to be there for the magic to happen.
Adrian is an important part of the magic, yes.
I think Skunkworks marks the transition of Bruce’s voice from how he sounded as his younger self to how he sounds today.
Spot on.

TOS - Power Of The Sun (Abduction, Soul Intruders, Kill Devil Hill, Navigate The Seas Of The Sun, River, Devil On A Hog, title track)
TCW - Book Of Thel (King In Crimson, Tower, Urizen, Jerusalem, Alchemist)
AOB - Road To Hell (Queen, Aquarius, Man Of Sorrows, title track, Magician, Omega)
BTP - Tears Of The Dragon (Sacred Cowboys, Change Of Heart, Gods Of War, Cyclops)
TM - Born In '58 (title track, No Lies..., Road, Wheels, Dive! and Son Of A Gun are nice too)
Skunkworks - Inertia (Back From The Edge, Faith, Solar, Innerspace)

Last edited:
Tattooed Millionaire - Tattooed Millionaire
Balls to Picasso - Tears of the Dragon. Bruce's best song and one of my all time favourites for a lot of reasons.
Skunkworks - No clear favourite
Accident of Birth - Road to Hell
The Chemical Wedding - Book of Thel
Tyranny of Souls - A Tyranny of Souls

I think it is one of the best things Bruce has ever done, Maiden classics included. Perhaps only The Number of the Beast and Seventh Son of a Seventh Son are (slightly) better.

1. AMOLAD
2. NOTB
3. PowersIave
4. Seventh Son
5. Piece of Mind
6. The Chemical Wedding

TM: Son Of A Gun
BTP: Laughing In The Hiding Bush
SW: Inside The Machine
AOB: Omega
TCW: Trumpets Of Jericho
TOS: Tyranny Of Souls