Bruce Dickinson

Okay, my bad, I glanced over that fact. But I'm thinking of getting the book anyway.

That's great! All the stories he shares are fascinating, so I've always thought he should write something like this. I really hope the book will be long.

Well, I'll buy that.

I will hope it has a better editor than whoever edited The Adventures of Lord Iffy Boatrace though.

Well, I'll buy that.

I will hope it has a better editor than whoever edited The Adventures of Lord Iffy Boatrace though.

And a better author!

Seriously, this is exciting news! And I'm sure the calm, mature Bruce of 2015/16 will be a better writer than the young man of the late '80s.

In fact, thinking about it, being a great songwriter, great singer, frontman, pilot, DJ, businessman, etc etc DOES NOT necessarily mean Bruce is the best person to write his own story. The publishers should know the book will sell well because of Bruce/Maiden's fan base, but I think they'd be better forking out for a ghost writer to sit down with Bruce, get his stories, and write the best book that can be written.

If these memoirs will be alike Harris road diary, then it would be better if it's not edited. If it's a book with chapters ala official Mick Wall biography, then a proper writer/editor should be involved.

I'll definitely read it.

Hopefully he'll tell some stories that we haven't heard a thousand times from other sources....

Some good honest talk about the hard times in Maiden too...and some of the soul searching he did when he went solo. More stuff about life before Maiden could be cool too...And more about his personal life.

Personal confession incoming! You have been warned!

Bruce was never my favourite member. Yeah, you read that right. I respected him rather than enjoyed him, I had absolutely no problems with the switch to Blaze, etc.

These days I realise I listen to his solo stuff more than I listen to Maiden. And I maybe even enjoy it more. My wife has it similar - she really dislikes him in Maiden, but recently discovered his solo stuff and really likes it. It's weird, but I somewhat understand that sentiment, even though I can't quite explain it.

It's similar with LaBrie - he is IMHO definitely the weak link in Dream Theater, but his solo stuff is the most enjoyable to me. I mean, Suspended Animation is cool and all, but does it bring anything new, beyond what we have already known about Petrucci? No. Static Impulse brings us James doing melodeath.

Back to Bruce - I really love Chemical Wedding, I think it's his most consistent. I have yet to listen to Tyranny more properly, I have only given it a few shallow listens. But Accident's really good too. More uneven, but the high points (Darkside, the title track) are maybe even higher than the high points of Wedding.
I sometimes get a kick out of Tattooed, it has a lot of fun hard rock songs, and the rest... I don't know, I have to listen to it more before I pass any definite judgements. Still, it's very interesting to listen to. We definitely need more from Bruce in the future.

Back