Bruce Dickinson

I feel like I’m having deja vu. Has Bruce participated in a project like this before (I.e. tribute to Purple/Lord or performance of the Concerto)?

I feel like I’m having deja vu. Has Bruce participated in a project like this before (I.e. tribute to Purple/Lord or performance of the Concerto)?

The Sunflower Jam, I believe. He sang "Burn" with Glenn Hughes.

Correct. He did contribute to the new version of Jon Lord's Concerto for Group and Orchestra and did also participate in the Celebrating Jon Lord charity event at the Royal Albert Hall in 2014 (I was there! :D).

The Sunflower Jam, I believe. He sang "Burn" with Glenn Hughes.

Bruce did take part in some Sunflower Jams (2008, 2009, 2012 and 2014; the last one was billed Celebrating Jon Lord and was the event where he sang with Glenn Hughes - I attended the 2012 and 2014 shows).

Here are the songs he sang in each Sunflower Jam:

- 2008 River Deep, Mountain High (Tina Turner), With a little help from my friends (Joe Cocker's version of the song), Walking in the shadow of the Blues (Whitesnake's version of the song) plus some jamming with Deep Purple at the end of the show. You can see some footage here:

- 2009 Tattooed Millionaire‚ Wishing Well (Free), Back In The USSR (The Beatles), Won’t get fooled again (The Who)‚ Rock and Roll (Led Zeppelin).
- 2012 Emerald (Thin Lizzy), Behind Blue Eyes (The Who), Black Night (Deep Purple), Smoke on the Water (Deep Purple). This gig was subsequently released on CD and DVD

61zlViQcdJL._SX450_.jpg

- 2014 You Keep on Moving (Deep Purple), Burn (Deep Purple), Hush (jam with Deep Purple). This gig was subsequently released on CD and DVD/Blu-ray

81t36r-0zol-_sl1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Not in the context of a project this time, there is a little footage of Bruce (as well as Janick and Nicko as far as the first one is concerned) performing Deep Purple (with this band or another) here and there:
(a video snippet of the recording just above)
Plus, of course, the "Black Night" rendition from Dive Dive Live.

Last edited:
Not in the context of a project this time, there is a little footage of Bruce (and Janick) performing Deep Purple (with this band or another) here and there:

Nicko is also jamming with Deep Purple here. Maiden were recording Dance of Death and Bruce, Jan and Nicko went to see Purple at Hammersmith Odeon.

Bruce did also sing Space Truckin' with Pig Irön on his BBC 6Radio Christmas Special back in 2002.

Last edited:
On a different note, Bruce will be part of the 50th anniversary of the Concerto for Group and Orchestra in Quebec on 21st November 2019

https://jonlord.org/2019/04/09/50th-anniversary-of-concerto-for-group-and-orchestra/

50th anniversary of Concerto for Group and Orchestra

North American fans of Jon Lord’s Concerto for Group and Orchestra are in for a special treat this November.

Conducted by Paul Mann and with special guest Bruce Dickinson on vocals, the Orchestre Symphonique de Québecand Paul DesLauriers Band with Pierre Bélisle will perform Jon Lord’s Concerto for Group and Orchestra in Quebec on November 21.

The concert will celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Concerto as well as become its Canadian debut performance.

Bruce Dickinson says:

– It’s a great honour to participate in the 50th Anniversary of the Concerto For Group & Orchestra. When Paul Mann contacted me about the Quebec event I said yes immediately.

– As many people know, Deep Purple have been a major, ongoing influence in my life since I was a teenager, and down the years I have been fortunate enough to become good friends with all of the band, most especially in my collaborations with Jon Lord.

– Right now, I’m still deciding on what to perform – so many great Purple songs to choose from! – and am looking forward to seeing everyone at this very special commemorative evening.

Conductor Paul Mann:

– My long collaboration with Jon Lord, and in particular his innovative, genre-defying Concerto, has been one of the greatest joys of my musical life. I look forward to bringing this piece to Canada for the first time on the occasion of its fiftieth anniversary. Jon’s spirit will definitely be with us.

Tickets go on sale April 10 through Palais Montcalm.

concerto_11x17-final1.jpg

Second date added on 22nd November 2019.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwFD254AeDb/

I'll be honest: while I respect Bruce's decisions wrt his choice of facial hair, the beard was awful and super patchy. I'm glad he shaved it because it just didn't look all that great on him. If he'd kept it going and trimmed it a bit it would've been fine but obviously he chose to go "fuck it" and cut it all off which is a perfectly respectable choice.

Back