Bruce Dickinson

The bit about Flight of Icarus can be found in Chapter 16 - New Battery (4:26:20)
OK that doesn't really contradict what I said. They didn't set out to write a hit song, it just naturally came out that way. He doesn't really go into the details of how it was chosen for the first single or who decided to promote it heavily in the American market.

Sex Pistols turned it down I think. There are probably others.

For the new long awaited solo album I hope Bruce will keep the tradition (since AOB onwards) of releasing great album covers. Maybe some kind of an alien creature will be a good cover. His first 3 solo album covers are awful.

I disagree. The Chinese-themed cover of Tattooed Millionaire, the very simplistic cover of Balls to Picasso, and the SR71-influenced beauty of Skunkworks are fantastic. He's never released an album with a bad cover.

I disagree. The Chinese-themed cover of Tattooed Millionaire, the very simplistic cover of Balls to Picasso, and the SR71-influenced beauty of Skunkworks are fantastic. He's never released an album with a bad cover.

I agree. On a side note, the cover of Skunkworks is fantastic, much better than Derek's work for Accident of Birth if you ask me!

Reactions: Jer
I have it ranked as:
  1. Accident of Birth
  2. The Chemical Wedding
  3. Skunkworks
  4. Tattooed Millionaire
  5. Tyranny of Souls
  6. Balls to Picasso
All of them are great and fit the albums, so it's hard to choose honestly.

Yeah, I think Balls To Picasso is the only really weak cover in the bunch, and it’s not awful.

I have it ranked as:
  1. Accident of Birth
  2. The Chemical Wedding
  3. Skunkworks
  4. Tattooed Millionaire
  5. Tyranny of Souls
  6. Balls to Picasso
All of them are great and fit the albums, so it's hard to choose honestly.

For me it would be:
  1. The Chemical Wedding
  2. Skunkworks
  3. Tyranny of Souls
  4. Tattooed Millionaire
  5. Balls to Picasso
  6. Accident of Birth

Well that's your opinion, mine is they sucks. Skunkworks is awful, Balls to Picasso is not bad and Tattooed Millionaire is bland.

My favorite is AOB and #2.TCW, #3.TOS

The cover of Skunkworks is a work of art by one of the best artwork designers of all time, Storm Thorgerson. The guy was a genious.
Also directed the videos for "Tattooed Millionaire" and "All the Young Dudes", apparently.

But probably best known for his work with Pink Floyd.

"Tattooed Millionaire" is probably my favorite music video of all time. Everything is perfect and it suits the song stupendously. I love it.

"Tattooed Millionaire" is probably my favorite music video of all time. Everything is perfect and it suits the song stupendously. I love it.
Yes, it's a very effective, well-judged visual piece. I was less convinced by "All The Young Dudes" though - I felt really sorry for Janick (although I didn't know who he was then), I thought he must have felt like a right twit :D.

Bruce is usually very creative in his music videos... but the only one from TM worth much is the title track's.

The cover of Skunkworks is a work of art by one of the best artwork designers of all time, Storm Thorgerson. The guy was a genious.

It is not my cup of tea, honestly. I like album covers with a lot of details and more of a fantasy style or some kind of a creature (Maiden, Dio, HammerFall), I dislike when a band put themselves on the album cover !

For Bruce's first three solo albums, these little artworks would have been better:
- TM -> this, some kind of a Chinese dragon.
- BTP -> well, these are two squares, so that's not so cool, haha.
- Skunkworks -> a skeleton hand.

Attachments

• bruce solo albums.jpg
    bruce solo albums.jpg
    314.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Back