Bruce Dickinson Solovivor 2024 - Round 13: THE CHEMICAL WEDDING Joins!

Vote for your LEAST favorite songs!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Brucevivor Update.jpg

Eliminated after Round 6:
Hell No - 12 votes
1000 Points of Light - 12 votes
Change of Heart - 11 votes
Gypsy Road - 10 votes
Laughing in the Hiding Bush - 10 votes

Promoted after Round 6:
Son of a Gun
Tattooed Millionaire
Born in '58
Bring Your Daughter... to the Slaughter

ROUND 7

Skunkworks.jpgSkunkworks (1996)
1. Space Race (3:47)
Dickinson/Dickson
2. Back from the Edge (4:17)
Dickinson/Dickson
3. Inertia (3:04)
Dickinson/Dickson
4. Faith (3:35)
Dickinson/Dickson
5. Solar Confinement (3:20)
Dickinson/Dickson
6. Dreamstate (3:50)
Dickinson/Dickson
7. I Will Not Accept the Truth (3:45)
Dickinson/Dickson
8. Inside the Machine (3:28)
Dickinson/Dickson
9. Headswitch (2:14)
Dickinson/Dickson
10. Meltdown (4:35)
Dickinson/Dickson
11. Octavia (3:15)
Dickinson/Dickson
12. Innerspace (3:31)
Dickinson/Dickson/Dale
13. Strange Death in Paradise (4:50)
Dickinson/Dickson

Bonus tracks:
14. I'm in a Band with an Italian Drummer (3:53)
Dale
15. Rescue Day (4:09)
Dickinson/Dickson
16. God's Not Coming Back (2:16)
Dickinson/Dickson
17. Armchair Hero (2:42)
Dickinson/Dickson
18. R 101 (2:06)
Dickinson/Dickson
19. Re-entry (4:05)
Dickinson/Dickson
20. Americans Are Behind (2:51)
Dale

Cyclops Gods Will Back Inertia Dreamstate 101, Drummer Octavia Headswitch

Space Race
I Will Not Accept the Truth
Inside the Machine
Octavia
I'm in a Band with an Italian Drummer
Rescue Day
God's Not Coming Back
R 101
Re-entry
Americans Are Behind

Eliminated after Round 6:
Change of Heart - 11 votes
Laughing in the Hiding Bush - 10 votes
Change Of Heart? What? This is the 3rd best song on the album and is one of Bruce's best ballads. His voice shines so much on it.
Laughing In The Hiding Bush is a very cool and effective rocker. I genuinely like it.

Votes:

Dreamstate (kind of an interesting vibe, but not a lasting impression on me)
I Will Not Accept The Truth (filler, one of my least favorite solo songs of Bruce)
Headswitch (the vocal effects are not that bad, but I don't think they were needed)
I'm In A Band With An Italian Drummer (not a serious song)
Rescue Day (the chorus brings it down for me)
R 101 (there are better acoustic songs)
Americans Are Behind (not a serious songx2)

Skunkworks songs are so evenly matched that it's not easy to vote.

Promoted after Round 6:
Son of a Gun
Tattooed Millionaire
Born in '58
Bring Your Daughter... to the Slaughter
^Expected.

Change Of Heart? What? This is the 3rd best song on the album and is one of Bruce's best ballads. His voice shines so much on it.
Strongly disagree. Glad it´s out! 2d weakest song on Balls. Never liked it tbh. The chorus is extremely weak and Bruce´s vocal lines are very mediocre here. But: it´s just my opinion of course.
Laughing In The Hiding Bush is a very cool and effective rocker. I genuinely like it.
Me too! Great song!

Own goal in my votes: didn´t want to vote for Armchair Hero. Hope it's still here after this round. :facepalm:

• Love
Reactions: Jer
Own goal in my votes: didn´t want to vote for Armchair Hero. Hope it's still here after this round. :facepalm:
Armchair Hero is one of my top favorite songs from that era. It should have been an album song. And it could have been a bit longer.

Bruce played a version of it with different lyrics live in 1994/1995.

All non-Skunkworks songs,
Headswitch
I'm In A Band With An Italian Drummer
Rescue Day
God's Not Coming Back
R 101
Americans Are Behind

Dreamstate
Truth
Machine
Meltdown
Octavia
Innerspace

Italian Drummer
Rescue Day
R 101
Re-entry
Americans

I still don't like this album. A couple of the B-sides are better than the main album tracks, but just barely. There's maybe 2-3 songs on here I enjoy.

Machine
Meltdown
Innerspace
Jackie-Chan-WTF-meme-8u2b.jpg

(At least you didn’t vote against “Strange Death In Paradise”, which would have been truly inexcusable…)

Wow. Even Tears?
Yes. It's a great song, but Skunkworks is my favorite album and I'm a fan of trying to vote for as many songs as possible each round. This means that even songs that I like will get votes if songs I prefer are in the running.

Space Race - Really cool opener, sets the tone for a very different Bruce Dickinson album. Whole thing is great, from the plunging riff to the banging chorus. Big step up from most of Balls to Picasso.

Back from the Edge - FUCK YES! Here we fucking go, dude! Absolutely brilliant song, with its dark tinted melodies, shimmering chorus, heart-plucking instrumental work, and eruptive outro. Just a perfect song.

Inertia - Short but very very sweet. Bruce takes a really unique approach at describing the aftermath of war here. Another eruptive chorus.

Faith - A good song with some heavy-hitting riffing. I think it finds its peak at the last chorus, but "Meltdown" takes a similar theme and executes it better.

Solar Confinement - Another good song. There's some great melodies in here. I wish the theme was expanded a little but it's not bad by any means.

Dreamstate - The album's weakest link. It's a decent track but Bruce's vocals sound off and the bridge is pretty bad. The rest of it is kinda sluggish and less memorable than anything else on the album, but not bad. Vote.

I Will Not Accept the Truth - I've never realized how good the guitar playing in this song was before but it's really good. Probably the second weakest track on the album though. Vote.

Inside the Machine - Bone-headed riffing eventually gives way to really understated and pretty guitar melodies. Interesting take on the internet.

Headswitch - Fucking banger. Short but sweet and kicks fucking ass.

Meltdown - This song allows itself to really build more than most of this album does and it is so worth it. The drum intro, the stomping verses, the pre-chorus melody swinging into that massive fucking chorus.... it is so fucking good. This is back on "Back from the Edge" level. One of his most underrated solo songs.

Octavia - A very pretty song with awesome lyrics about floating in the sea of life. One of those tracks that's easy to overlook but it's got so much good stuff going on within it.

Innerspace - The instrumentation is maybe a bit too active during the chorus but otherwise this is a super fun track and I love the mystical lyrics of the verses giving way to the direct, focused lyrics of the choruses.

Strange Death in Paradise - There are three 10s on this album and this is the final one. Everything about this song is fantastic, from beginning to end. Skunkworks is Bruce attempting a grunge album and this is the track that I think could absolutely stand toe-to-toe with a band like Soundgarden. The massive intro, the captivating verses, the powerful chorus, the building instrumental section, and finally the refrain that acts as an outro, all telling the story of the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki in an utterly powerful way. It is hard to be unmoved by this song, it's fucking awesome.

I'm in a Band with an Italian Drummer - Not terrible by any means and there's a couple decent jokes in here but overall forgettable. Vote.

Rescue Day - Fine. Vote.

God's Not Coming Back - Fine. I like the Ian Gillan/Jesus Christ Superstar reference. Vote.

Armchair Hero - This one has a lot of potential but needed a little more time in the oven. Vote.

R 101 - One of Bruce's most interesting tracks, with its Led Zeppelin III sound. Not much happening though. Vote.

Re-entry - Another track with a lot of potential, or maybe I just don't get it. I like it in concept but it doesn't really click with me. Vote.

Americans Are Behind - Fun joke song, one of the better attempts at humor within Bruce's discography. Vote.

Octavia - A very pretty song with awesome lyrics about floating in the sea of life. One of those tracks that's easy to overlook but it's got so much good stuff going on within it.
Octavia is one of my favorite songs from the album. The album not only has great guitar work, but the vocal parts/ideas (like the previous album) are really impactful and memorable. In almost all songs! Octavia's chorus is one of those parts.
Big step up from most of Balls to Picasso.
I wouldn't say that about this whole song. Different, yeah.

SkunkDorks brigade storms in!

Private Dork yells:

- Everybody line up and be quiet!
General Dork points finger at Cylcops:
- Too long! You're out!
Squints eyes at God of War:
- You're OK, I guess. But too much wailing. Out!
Comes close to I'm in a Band With an Italian Drummer and slaps him:
- Just the notion that I admit you exist is insulting! OUT!
Jumps right next to Americans are Behind:
You think you're funny, huh? Guess I should call you private Joker?! I would if you remained here! Out!
Comes to Resuce Day and puts an arm on its shoulder:
- I see bright future for you. Bright future... That's why I need to remove these two.
Points with his thumb to Re-Entry and God's not Coming Back. General Dork walks slowly back to Solar Confinment.
-
I can't let every one of you in the next round, they'll demote me to Major Dork. Better luck next time in two years.

A quick thought about Bruce tour.
Looking at these previous survivors there are songs in Top 10 that weren't released as singles or were envisioned as centerpieces of the album (The Alchemist and Navigate for example). Yet. they found their way in the setlist.
Bruce treats us good.

General Dork points finger at Cylcops:
- Too long! You're out!
Squints eyes at God of War:
- You're OK, I guess. But too much wailing. Out!
Four songs from every album will be promoted, so while you can vote this way, it may not be the most practical in the long run lol.

Back