Bruce Dickinson earns honorary music degree

Congrats to Bruce Dickinson! I'm assuming this is a pretty high honor? (I'm not too familiar with college/university degrees or doctorates) =/

Next stop: KNIGHTHOOD!!!

Night Prowler said:
IRON MAIDEN Singer Receives Honorary Doctorate In Music From Queen Mary University

IRON MAIDEN frontman Bruce Dickinson received an honorary doctorate in music from Queen Mary university in London, England on Tuesday, July 19. He was presented by Professor David Baker of the Centre For Neuroscience And Trauma in honor of Dr. Dickinson's contribution to the music industry. Dickinson actually received a degree in history from the same college in 1979. His parents wanted him in the army, but he told them that he wanted to get a degree first. "That was what they wanted to hear so that was my cover story," he later said. "When I got down there, I started immediately finding and playing in bands." Multi-talented Dr. Dickinson is not only a musician and song-writer, author, film script writer and TV broadcaster, also a champion fencer, entrepreneur and commercial airline pilot. In 2006, Dr. Dickinson flew 200 U.K. citizens home from Lebanon during the Israel-Hezbollah conflict in his converted Boeing 757. Queen Mary is one of the U.K.'s leading research-focused universities, offering a broad range of degrees in humanities and social sciences; medicine and dentistry and science and engineering, with over 14,000 undergraduates, 2,000 postgraduate students and 3,000 staff.

dickinsondoctor.jpg

dickinsondoctor2.jpg

:edmetal:

Excellent!  Congrats to him!

Demigod_Tyek1230 said:
Congrats to Bruce Dickinson! I'm assuming this is a pretty high honor? (I'm not too familiar with college/university degrees or doctorates) =/

Next stop: KNIGHTHOOD!!!

It's pretty high. In my country, it's a highest degree you can get throughout formal education. Afterwards you can get two higher degrees - doctorate of sciences, which you earn by doing and publishing scientific work in your field, and academic - ran by council of academics, awarded to best of the best from a certain field, limited bunch.

Black Wizard said:
Nobody "earns" and Honorary Degree, they get given one as good publicity for the University.

I sincerely apologize for my semantic error.  :S

Maybe I should have written 'receives' instead.

Back