UK Politics

I'm more bothered about the remaining 75% of the Crown Estate profits and accountability for spending that.

I didn't catch the connection between the article's content and being a subject.
Content-wise, Charles did good for himself in managing his assets. I find it rather a good think. Better than just consuming the heritage.

The link was posted as a result of your comment about taxes. Essentially we have an unelected head of state who does not have to pay the same taxes than the people who fund his privileged life. An aberration as far as I am concerned.

He seems to struggle with pens too…

I'm not pro-monarchy, I just don't care to waste the political capital to move to a republic. Electoral reform and getting away from first past the post to either a runoff voting or proportional representation system is far, far more important than whether or not we pay a president or a governor-general to shake babies and kiss hands.

I'm not pro-monarchy, I just don't care to waste the political capital to move to a republic. Electoral reform and getting away from first past the post to either a runoff voting or proportional representation system is far, far more important than whether or not we pay a president or a governor-general to shake babies and kiss hands.

There are a lot of reforms needed. I would go in this order (beginning with getting rid of the least democratic bit first):

1. Abolish monarchy.
2. Reform the House of Lords so its members are elected democratically.
3. Move to a proportional representation system to elect MPs.

Last edited:
There are a lot of reforms needed. I would go in this order (beginning with getting rid of the least democratic bit first):

1. Abolish monarchy.
2. Reform the House of Lords so its members are elected democratically.
3. Move to a proportional representation system to elect MPs.
In my country, not only is the Monarchy not an impediment to democracy, it is also functionally impossible to get rid of (requiring a Constitutional amendment with universal provincial assent, which of which six require successful referendums of varying margins of success), and we'd be exactly as democratic after. Although it might save the UK some money, I don't see much changing there either if you junk the King/Queen.

House of Lords reform, I can see, although getting rid of the life peers was a huge step in the right direction. Here we have age limits on our Senators, maybe that's the next reasonable step.

To be frank, I don't want a bicameral system where we see the level of dysfunction in the US, I don't want a strong executive, I want a non-fptp House and I'm not too fussy by which method we otherwise elect them.

Last week was "interesting" in the UK. Who would have thought that our Kwasi Incompetent chancellor was indeed Completely Incompetent instead!

To quote Manic Street Preachers,

1664797442242.png

Last edited:
Or Truss has used him as a pawn to test out the 45p tax rate strategy, then pulled it because the backbenchers are up in arms. Shit. We have ruling a party that the majority if England votes for regardless of what they do, and they just fight amongst themselves, have no clear plans whatsoever, and jump on backbench bandwagons.

Or Truss has used him as a pawn to test out the 45p tax rate strategy, then pulled it because the backbenchers are up in arms. Shit. We have ruling a party that the majority if England votes for regardless of what they do, and they just fight amongst themselves, have no clear plans whatsoever, and jump on backbench bandwagons.

Imagine losing £65bn and keeping your job!

New chancellor gone already. No doubt an excuse to backtrack on the current leadership's clueless and likely suicidal economic policy.

How long can this go on? A party that gets voted in no matter what, has no coherent viable plan for running the country, and a shrinking pool of people with the skills or qualifications to govern.

New chancellor gone already. No doubt an excuse to backtrack on the current leadership's clueless and likely suicidal economic policy.

How long can this go on? A party that gets voted in no matter what, has no coherent viable plan for running the country, and a shrinking pool of people with the skills or qualifications to govern.

I think at this point even the most ideological conservative would have had enough of the endless incompetence the Tories have been delivering. The bar is so low currently and they keep finding a way to limbo under it !

Back