Blaze era help?

snake plissken said:
:ok: indeed.

We've all heard Blaze sing FOTD though Mosh, do you really think he does it better than Bruce ;)
I haven't. But i suppose I can check it out.

CriedWhenBrucieLeft said:
You must've loved Donnington '92 when you were there!  :D
Yeah, the big thing about '92 was how insanely huge the stage looked and that the setlist was so big. I didn't enjoy much of the rest of the bill that day but loved seeing Maiden with such a huge audience. I watched that VHS to death and do listen to the cd now and then although the sound isn't fabulous to be honest. I really wish I'd gone in '88 instead of the 3 Edinburgh shows but none of my friends wanted to go and I didn't fancy it alone. I was lucky they announced the UK tour dates after Donington and I got to see the SSOASS stage set after all.

Travis The Dragon said:
Vedder, I also recommend checking out Blaze's solo material and his stuff with Wolfsbane.
I was a fan of Wolfsbane back when Blaze joined and saw them twice, once supporting Maiden. I don't have any albums anymore but used to have the first couple and the ....Kathy Wilson ep on cassette. I don't remember the last time I heard them and I've never heard any of Blaze's solo work.

Wolfsbane was a good live act. I really do recommend you listen to Blaze's solo stuff. Personally, I love the album "Blood & Belief".

Both cd's arrived today so they'll get ripped and synched tonight then tomorrow at work I'll be able to judge for myself... :)

veddertown said:
Both cd's arrived today so they'll get ripped and synched tonight then tomorrow at work I'll be able to judge for myself... :)

Just go in with an open mind, ignore the non-Bruce thing, and you'll be pleasantly suprised  :ok:

Well, well. Two Maiden albums listened to, now on to the second listen of The X Factor. Having already heard Sign Of The Cross on Rock In Rio I kind of knew what to expect but I must say I didn't expect to prefer the album version which I did so good start there. Lord Of The Flies is for me typical of how Maiden have changed their sound structure to how they sound today. Not spectacular this one but solid enough and I'm enjoying Blaze's vocals so far. Man On The Edge for me should have been the opening song as it is a classic Maiden gallop to the finish type song, good song but not quite a match for the oldies. Fortunes Of War is my first stumbling point but I'm not by any means condemning it. This in many ways is what I love about Maiden, good atmospheric intro and build up plus nice instrumental breaks. If I can get over the repetetive lyrics it will climb higher in my estimations. Look For The Truth in a way reminds me more of Samson than Maiden and is lyrically and musically my favourite so far. I think where the instrumental section comes in it is going to turn into a huge epic but it falls a little flat towards the finish. The Aftermath in my opinion is pretty weak with some nice moments but the tempo changes make it sound really disjointed and not too well thought out. Judgement Of Heaven comes across a little better but some of it sounds like retreading old ground. I do like it though and see it as a grower. Blood On The World's Hands is a little repetetive again for my liking and the intro is very long winded and maybe too experimental. Listenable but it doesn't benefit the album hugely. The Edge Of Darkness is another pretty typical Maiden song in a moody sense. It reminds me of Hallowed Be Thy Name without ever reaching those kind of heights. Now 2 A.M. I really like and I can see why so many people either love or hate it. This has a sombre start but it rattles along like classic mid 80's Maiden. Top marks! I can see this going pretty high up my chart. The end.
Unfortunately this is not where it ended. The Unbeliever is the albums low point for me by a country mile. This is all over the place and at times sounds like a tuning session. It was a pretty unenjoyable ending when had it ended after the previous song I'd have applauded it. Overall though a decent effort and for me this line-up merits it's place in Maiden folklore. Did I enjoy Virtual XI as much? Find out later.....  :innocent:

Some opposition from my side here.

Zare said:
Blaze did it better, ATSS.

Did you guys hear well how Blaze did it? He did it well, but not necessarily better than Bruce.
I'll point out some bad Blaze moments during his version of ATSS:

I wipe (0:42)
visualize (0:57)
finish (we've got a winner: that was a cringing, rotten moment: 1:34)
ourselves (1:52)

I find Bruce's A Real Live One and the Donington version better, and the studio version as well.

I think Bruce puts more drama into it. And he makes less mistakes. He simply can handle it better.
More feel, a more natural performance.

snake plissken said:
Seems you're not a fan of repetition Veddertown, with his in mind I can't wait to read your VIX review  :D

There are several repetitive/dragging songs in the current line-up era as well.
E.g., Face in the Sand, The Thin Line between Love and Hate or Out of the Silent Planet.

@Veddertown: I guess you're quite an eighties fan it comes to hard rock or metal.
Look, we're not living in the eighties anymore. Maiden has tried out new things since, and are not afraid to experiment. They have taken progressive paths with various songs. They evolved and are willing to try out new things. I like that better than when they rehash older stuff. Now if you could get the patience to listen to longer intro's (BOTWH) or brilliant instrumental pieces (The Unbeliever), then there's still hope. ;)
Come on, these riffs and solos are among the best Maiden ever did!

Forostar said:
I think Bruce puts more drama into it. And he makes less mistakes. He simply can handle it better.
More feel, a more natural performance.
There are several repetitive/dragging songs in the current line-up era as well.
E.g., Face in the Sand, The Thin Line between Love and Hate or Out of the Silent Planet.

TTLBLAH dragging? Sit, please leave, and take your herasy with you!  :p

Eat this! Here I explain well what's imo the problem with this song and you'll get a comparison with The Unbeliever in the process.

Each to their own. Personally it's recently become one of my very favourite Maiden songs, especially after the second half an the whole instrumental sections

Tastes differ indeed. :)
As explained, I need more variation in a Maiden song to find it outstanding. But The Thin Line certainly does well on this forum.

Back