Blaze era help?

veddertown said:
Great post Forostar! Both albums were ordered today used from amazon for a grand total of £8.24.... :)
I get the feeling The X Factor is going to be a good listen from views here and from some of the customer reviews.

:ok: Nice veddertown! I sure hope you enjoy them. I'm interested to hear what you think of them when your done listening.

You're welcome veddertown. These albums are also interesting to learn Maiden's musical development towards the 6-line up era.

edge of darkness said:
:ok: Nice veddertown! I sure hope you enjoy them. I'm interested to hear what you think of them when your done listening.
I'll be sure to post an update after a couple of headphone sessions.  :ok:

i know that the perid from 1990- 1998 is the worst iron maiden period,but for me  as i posted  in other topic  is the perid that i falled in love with iron maiden,so get the albums!

Again I can't agree with the X factor or VXI being better than ANY other Maiden albums, let alone Piece of mind or Dance of Death.  Or for that matter # of the beast and killers.  That is mind boggling.  But your ears will thank you for introducing them to these two fine albums, filled with awesome Maiden instrument magic.  When two worlds collide is an outstanding example of very good Blaze era Maiden.  It is my favorite along with futureal and the Clansman, among others. 

The problem has always been the vocals for me.  It is just too much to overcome when comparing these two albums to any other in the Maiden catalog. But you must, absolutely must own the X factor and Virtual XI.  Listening to the Clansman right now.  Beautiful and  haunting melodies.  Do yourself a favor and try out some of these with Bruce instead of Blaze;  lord of the flies, futureal, the clansman etc.
even better in my opinion...

I don't know how anyone in the right mind can think that X Factor is worse than Fear of the Dark.

Mosh said:
I don't know how anyone in the right mind can think that X Factor is worse than Fear of the Dark.

The simple answer here is the singer. The quality of the songs doesn't matter if the chap singing them isn't up to the job. That's why TXF will always be in my (and many others) bottom two Maiden albums. I'd LOVE to hear Bruce rip out The Aftermath and The Edge of Darkness etc.

You are right on, Plisken.  It is unfortunate that the drop off with  Bailey is that extreme, but it just is.  If you enjoy 'karaoke night' at the local pub, you will enjoy Blaze Bailey singing over the greatest sounding rock of all time.  Still great discs though Vetter, you will like them.  Just not as much.....

Or perhaps more, as many people also do.

The fact of the matter is that Blaze's voice is not better nor worse than Bruce's - it is different. People who are used to Bruce may have difficulty with Blaze, and it's fair to say that Bruce appeals to more people than Blaze.

But on this forum, statistically, The X Factor is one of the most popular albums. VXI is not.

LooseCannon said:
Or perhaps more, as many people also do.

The fact of the matter is that Blaze's voice is not better nor worse than Bruce's - it is different.

Ah come on dude, by that standard my voice is not better or worse than Bruce's - it is different.  :D The simple fact of the matter here is Bruce has more range, more power and doesn't rattle out of key the way Blaze tends to. This makes him a far better singer than Blaze who, quite frankly, is completely out of his depth when being compared to Bruce.

Yah that is joke man. The fact is Blaze has as good of a  voice as Bruce??  Joke!!  Big respect for any Maiden fan and their personal opinions.  But no way in hell is anyone buying this one!!  Blaze is nowhere, I mean nowhere even remotely close to having the range, power, intensity, versatility...the list goes on and on.  People may like that dude, but his abilities are scant when compared to Bruce. Please.

Again this thread is not a comparison between the two, that would be a farce.  The thread is whether or not to purchase the two "X-Maiden" albums.  The answer is yes.

Blaze is a talented, professional singer ... just like Bruce. LC's statement is valid for such singers; it doesn't apply when comparing amateurs to either Bruce or Blaze.

What is different about Blaze - different from Bruce, that is - is mainly his range. Blaze is a baritone, Bruce is a tenor. It's hard to compare them, because any pitch they sing requires different effort. Bruce goes high easier, Blaze goes low easier.

There are obviously more differences, but range alone is enough to make Bruce & Blaze into apples & oranges. You can compare Maiden with either singer (fair since 80% of the band didn't change), but you can't hold Maiden to a single standard any more than either singer.

The way I hear it, X Factor is an outlier in the Maiden catalog. It's so much darker in the writing... Steve and the rest hit a zone on that album that Maiden never hit again. Like LC said: not better or worse, just different. OTOH, Virtual XI was a return to more typical Maiden.

[bornless1 posted while I was writing this, I'll deal with him shortly. :devil2:]
bornless1 said:
  Yah that is joke man. The fact is Blaze has as good of a  voice as Bruce??  Joke!!  Big respect for any Maiden fan and their personal opinions.  But no way in hell is anyone buying this one!!  Blaze is nowhere, I mean nowhere even remotely close to having the range, power, intensity, versatility...the list goes on and on.  People may like that dude, but his abilities are scant when compared to Bruce. Please.

If you mean that Bruce is so good that few others can match him: OK, that's probably true.

If you mean Blaze is a bad singer, you're deaf. Blaze has plenty of power and intensity, at least.

Sorry, I don't agree with bornless1's tone --but I'm in broad agreement with his opinion. Clearly the music is Maiden; so if you think it's pap --a real low point --then you're basically saying all of them weren't writing much of great quality in the mid to late 90's. But, Blaze's voice, I think, doesn't help. It's nothing to do with range. He's sometimes flat. He borders on talking, not singing, at times. And, the description of the album(s) as darker, to me, just covers for Blaze's poor vocals. I'm not even comparing him to Bruce. Subjectively speaking, I can't imagine anyone outside Maiden/metal fans would judge this guy a great singer. Maybe he had more to show; I don't think he (really) did on either TXF or VXI though. I think one can be critical, not just of his style, but of his ability without suggesting he was unprofessional or talentless.

Lets see..."Bad singer?' no.  Not saying Blaze is a bad singer.  He just didn't fit Iron Maiden.  This is by far my favorite band.  And that mediocre baritone style is not, was not, will never be good enough for Maiden.  I am very pleased that Maiden stayed together [for the most part] during those years.  Perhaps an unpopular mal fit such as Blaze led to the REAL Maiden getting back together?  I've heard several renditions of how the band actually re banded.
    No matter the details, and I know the Bailey backers maintain that Baily's performance wasn't a major factor, I think a more popular, more talented singer in Bruce's stead may have meant no return for Bruce and or H.  Whatever the case, The band got back and better than ever.  The Blaze argument is a treadmill.  I'm glad for those who enjoy his part in Maiden lore.  I'm also glad it was a short stint.  Up the Irons anyway you like em!!

I think that Blaze's voice is better for fast and short songs, like Futureal and Man On The Edge. On TXF and VXI his singing was mostly monotone and combined with lots of repetition-filled songs I can see why many people don't like him.

Of course those are great songs, and I listen to them regularly.  I'm sorry if I'm getting the wrong tone out there, CRIEDWHENBRUCIELEFT, But I can tell by your name you know what I'm sayin'.  I guess I let my Maiden love get out of control sometimes.  I freakin love this band, always have.  Futureal is a cool song and true Blaze does well there.  When two worlds collide is a top 60 or so Maiden song for me, with Blazey leading the charge!!  It is however, one of the few Bailey songs to reach that high.

bornless1 said:
Again this thread is not a comparison between the two, that would be a farce.  The thread is whether or not to purchase the two "X-Maiden" albums.  The answer is yes.

Then stop making it into one. There's a ton of comments in this thread that attack Blaze: "The problem has always been the vocals for me." "It is unfortunate that the drop off with  Bailey is that extreme" "The fact is Blaze has as good of a  voice as Bruce??  Joke!!"

Of course, that's misrepresenting what I said, but hey. Look, I get it, you don't like Blaze. But you're basically trying to set someone's opinions for them. That's what's got me cheesed.

Hey don't be cheesed brother man!  Your opinion is one of, if not the most important on this board!!  Not trying to change anyone's mind.  I wish I liked Blaze as much as you do!!!  I'm tryin'.  Got TXF blaring right now!!  UP The Irons LC!

Yeh, no need to be cheesed --"The problem has always been the vocals for me" sounds, as clearly as it can, like bornless1's opinion. The other quotes you give just sound like general observations on what fans, generally, think.

Futureal is a great song. For me Dave's solo really makes it though, not Blaze's vocal performance. Ditto other tracks.

Back