Blaze era help?

veddertown

Invader
What I'm looking for is someone to convince me that buying The X Factor & Virtual XI will not only complete my collection but will bring me a decent level of listening enjoyment. I lost interest for a while after being disappointment by NPFTD & FOTD and never picked up any Blaze material. Equally if anyone has a good reason to avoid these any opinion is respected. Thanks  :) I've only heard Man On The Edge which was ok I guess.

The X Factor is a grower. It's a very deep and depressing album (Steve was going through a divorce etc). I like it a lot, but initially hated it when I first heard it some four or five years ago.

Im covering a few in my countdown right now and while im not a massive fan i appreciate them in parts. I dont love any songs in entireity because i dont think they used Blaze properly thus resulting in him generaly being disliked as Maidens vocalist. But parts like the intro to look for the truth are amzing, it is a really important period to the band. once you get past the shock of the difference Blaze brings you can begin to appreciate where some really special music is made but you do need to be very open minded. They are growers though

Blaze is not my bag at all, never wanted him in the band and was delighted to see the back of him but if you want to know whether or not they're worth buying, just look up the songs on youtube, give them a listen and make your own mind up.

veddertown said:
What I'm looking for is someone to convince me that buying The X Factor & Virtual XI will not only complete my collection but will bring me a decent level of listening enjoyment. I lost interest for a while after being disappointment by NPFTD & FOTD and never picked up any Blaze material. Equally if anyone has a good reason to avoid these any opinion is respected. Thanks  :) I've only heard Man On The Edge which was ok I guess.

Veddertown, you might have followed my listening habits fairly closely. My early listening era was the early 90's & I totallly gave up listening to Maiden through the Blaze years too; only really getting (proper) back into Maiden about 5 years back. By that I mean, I was listening to all the albums I'd always listened to, but had bought nothing new. For all you're going to pay for them, they're worth buying. I'm not sure about "growers" --but there are a few decent tracks there.

I find the problem is the production. They sound so unfinished. In comparison, NPftD & FotD sound pretty slick; regardless of their musical merits. Add to that the real lack of pace (too many are too slow) & Blaze's, in my opinion, uneven & very bare sounding vocals --& you get some pretty mediocre albums.

I've been buying all the remastered albums on eBay over the past few weeks, & haven't spent more than £2 on any albums. They just sound the same, but I get the album cover on my phone; which doesn't seem to come up with the old original CD releases. Plus Eddie's head...

If you are a fan of Maiden, get these immediately.  Like others have said, I also am not a Blaze Bailey fan at all. He was a horrible fit for the band, and furthermore came across to me as down right sloppy and embarrassing at times. Again, [IMO].  Many disagree with that and like him a lot.  Musically the albums suffered a little. Again in my opinion.  But there are parts of each album that rock and they are just plain must haves for the Maiden fan.    Many times during the listening of XF and VXI you will be disappointed.  Other times You will be Blown away.  It is Maiden after all.

snake plissken said:
...just look up the songs on youtube, give them a listen and make your own mind up.
The best advice you can get.

Personally, I was a fan of Blaze before he joined. I was glad he did join and find the stuff he did with Maiden of high quality. I am not alone on this forum that thinks this way either - but go with the above advice and judge for yourself.

Oh, as Yax said - The X Factor takes time to appreciate, so don't write it off too early.

I can tell you this: Maybe they're not (considered by mass) as good as other maiden material, but:

Blaze is a very good singer and has his own style which fits him very well.
Songs are still composed by Harris/Gers/Murray plus Blaze, so it is Maiden and has it's high standards (i would say so).
There are superawesome epics, short rockers, and "fillers" like on every other album. These two have just a slightly different style and feeling.
I think - if you love other maiden albums, you'll love these two as well.

Look for: The Sign of the Cross, The Aftermath, Blood on the World's Hands, 2 AM,  The Unbeliever
The Clansman, When Two Worlds Collide, The Educated Fool, Don't Look to the Eyes of a Stranger (those are my fave's)

The X Factor is definitely a grower. Virtual XI is a really good album.

Here's my favorite Blaze era Maiden songs: Sign of the Cross, Lord of the Flies, Man on the Edge, The Aftermath, Blood on the World's Hands, Futureal, Lightning Strikes Twice, The Clansman, When Two Worlds Collide, The Educated Fool and Virus.

Albie said:
(I) find the stuff he did with Maiden of high quality. I am not alone on this forum that thinks this way either - but go with the above advice and judge for yourself.

Oh, as Yax said - The X Factor takes time to appreciate, so don't write it off too early.

Ditto

Neither is among my favourite Maiden albums, but I've got a lot of enjoyment out each and my listening history doesn't sound much different than yours.
The Clansman is my sixth favourite Maiden song. Sign of the Cross number 15. Each album has two more in my top 50.
And it's not like the rest is shite.

As already said the X-factor is definetly a grower. But for me when I did learn to appreciate the album it became one of my favorites. There is no fillers at all in that album for me, very very solid album. So as already said don't give up on that album on a first listen it just takes time. I have never been very fond of virtual XI, but the album has its high points. Many  songs on it can get repettitive, but they are also very catchy.This albums high points definitly makes up for lows. In the long run I don't think you will regret buying ethier one of these albums.

X Factor is probably the album I've listened to the least by Maiden. It's got great songs and all, but it's just too dark for me. And it feels like their longest to me.

Thanks everyone for all your advice and comments. I have listened to little snippets on youtube and some of it sounds pretty decent. There is enough there to persuade me to get them second hand at least and I'm intrigued by the darkness of the X Factor mainly. I can't see them becoming favourites really but at least they'll complete the story.

As you can see here The X-Factor scored pretty OK in the whole Maiden discography:
http://forum.maidenfans.com/index.php?topic=20822.0

Personally, I find it better than:

Iron Maiden
Piece of Mind
Brave New World
Killers
The Number of the Beast
Fear of the Dark
Virtual XI
Dance of Death

Virtual XI is low on my list (still a bit better than Dance of Death), but that still doesn't mean I find it terrible. Just not as good as most other albums.

@Veddertown: If you are interested in opinions, I suggest you read the song topics on the Commentary board. Quite some people have posted good reviews out there. Enjoy.

Here a re-post of my take on The X-Factor:

The X-Factor
Never before and after, Maiden was disliked by so many people as in the period of 1995-1998: The Blaze years.

For many young people this is perhaps strange to comprehend. They seem to appreciate this era, just like young people at that time, who grew up with Maiden in the nineties. Like me for instance. I didn’t understand so much disgust. So many people who loved them in the eighties turned their back on Maiden. There’s still some of them on this forum, I bet. Nothing terribly wrong with turning your back on a band, but I find it important to illustrate this, because in my mind it’s hard to separate it, when thinking about The X-Factor.

People who knew Maiden since the eighties and who still liked the Blaze years at that time were rare species, especially on the internet (Baeleron had furious newsgroup battles with the worst haters, to defend Blaze and the band. He Who Must Not Be Named also appreciated this era, which can be seen in the Commentary).

A lof of (especially European and South American) gigs were still very crowded. Most people still cared to see a Maiden gig, which has always been a special experience. But a majority of the media and the fans didn’t like the Blaze albums, especially because of Blaze’s voice, the build-up of the songs, and the musical climate in these years.

Looking back, Janick couldn’t illustrate it in a better way with the following words:

“…X Factor I felt was a great album. Wasn’t well-received at the time. The grunge thing had happened, and every rock artist was canceling tours right across America. We went out and we played and we were the most unfashionable band at the time in the world, but we still went out and did the gigs and we enjoyed ourselves, and we thought we had a good album. See you go out and you play, and you make an album, and you hope the people like it, and if they do like it, got bless them, and the people that don’t, well, God bless them too."

I remember that The X-Factor review in Aardschok magazine was very negative. It said that the songs were too long, started too slow with too long and calm intros. Nowadays those same reviewers don't seem to bother about other albums with long intros. They rave about Opeth and every band with long songs has suddenly become fantastic.

Anyway, I never had a problem with longer intros. Afraid to Shoot Strangers and Fear of the Dark also contained these.

On The X-Factor Nicko does a very nice job, and the drumsound is also good. Apart from Somewhere in Time and A Matter of Live or Death I even like this drumsound the most from all the Maiden albums.

About the whole sound, I read often that people dislike the mix of the album. Everyone his own opinion, but I truly hear that the music (esp. guitars and drums) does not sound as thin as in Virtual IX, Fear of the Dark and even Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. I think it’s the 2nd best sounding album of the nineties (I prefer No Prayer for the Dying soundwise).

The solos also have something special. This is the only studio album where you can hear Dave’s solos from the left speaker and Janick’s from the right.

TXF's haunting, moody atmosphere was majorily caused by Steve who went through some hard times in his private life. It’s a big quality of this album, and makes it enjoyable to listen to it without a single pause. For such a long record (over 70 minutes!) that’s a rare thing these days, when loose songs are more important than whole albums.

The second half of the album is very strong, and perhaps also most underrated. I have always liked two songs that haven't been mentioned much in the past: Judgement of Heaven & The Unbeliever.

The mid-sections of The Educated Fool and No More Lies are in my ears clear rip-offs of the mid-section of Judgement of Heaven. I'd say The Unbeliever is one of the most interesting things Maiden have ever done! These acoustic guitars parts in the bridges, the instrumental mid-section with the boneshivering solos and almost tribal drumming, really superb!

I was never a huge fan of the studio version of The Edge of Darkness, but I remember it was surprisingly nice and way heavier, hearing it live in concert, back in 1995, and the song has a nice acceleration (like in Hallowed Be Thy Name). 2 AM is a nice moody ballad with a typical Janick solo (a la Wasting Love & Como Estais Amigos) and I love the atmosphere and the solos in the strong Blood in the World's Hands.

To end this in a more positive way than the beginning of this post:
This album is getting more and more recognition, and I'm very glad about that. It took a while, but it has the potential to be one of the most loved Maiden records of their whole discography. I hope that Maiden will feel that as well. Let’s hope they will perform another track of it in the future!

Nice post Foro! Interesting that you don't like TEOD as much, its probably my third favourite :) The Unbeliever rules!

Yeah, TEOD, as you can read here I am not too impressed. I am not familiar with the book or film either.

The Unbeliever, on the other hand, is a top 10 song of the last 20 years.

Wow, I wouldn't have it that high but its still a great song. It would be around my 6th favourite from the album.

Forostar said:
Yeah, TEOD, as you can read here I am not too impressed. I am not familiar with the book or film either.

The Unbeliever, on the other hand, is a top 10 song of the last 20 years.
I agree with both statements. Unbeliever is awesome.

Great post Forostar! Both albums were ordered today used from amazon for a grand total of £8.24.... :)
I get the feeling The X Factor is going to be a good listen from views here and from some of the customer reviews.

Back