Black Metal

Hehehe:
1280x852.jpg

I am really looking forward to Ancient's new album. In 2014 there was an interview with (imo very cool!) clips of new music and recording footage (with Nicholas Barker behind the drum kit). It was stated that the album would come out in the Spring of 2015. Still nothing....

Any thoughts on the Abbath album? It's only the hottest thing this side of Antarctica.

I'm listening to a few tracks as we speak, and I'm really digging it so far.

I'm listening to it now, on my 3rd or 4th listen. Really loving it, nice production and especially catchy for a black metal album imo. So far I think Count the Dead is my favorite, but the climax on Winter Bane is pretty epic.

@Mosh: Heard this?

It's pretty much like nothing I've ever heard before when it comes to mixing genres, but I put it here because black metal is most prevalent.

Also I'm gonna listen to Abbath tonight.

I only liked a couple of tracks on first listen to Abbath, but it's proving to be a slow grower.

Abbath's album has great catchy riffs but production doesn't do it any favors and it lacks Immortal's epicness. It's solid, but could've been better. Those rehearsal/live videos posted earlier have great production, dunno how he managed to have a better sound on those than on the actual album.

The production sounds great IMO. Especially for a black metal album. :p The only thing that throws me off are the clearly fake horn samples on Count the Dead, but I can get past the cheesiness there.

I agree about the epicness though. It has some epic moments but overall it's more catchy and straight forward. It almost reminds me of the more "fun" sort of Death n Roll style bands like later Entombed and Destroyer 666. But with more of a black metal influence obviously. But anyway I like that sound, there's plenty of more epic or atmospheric black metal out there, this works for what it is.

It would be interesting to see similar discussion on less mainstream black metal bands :D

Maybe a weekly or biweekly or monthly new black metal album?

Thought this was fairly catchy and accessible for black metal. Checked them out because I just read they got something called the Norwegian Grammy :p

Abbath's album has great catchy riffs but production doesn't do it any favors and it lacks Immortal's epicness. It's solid, but could've been better. Those rehearsal/live videos posted earlier have great production, dunno how he managed to have a better sound on those than on the actual album.
Is the Abbath album more like I than Immortal?

Kampfar's latest album (Profan, 2015) is pretty solid. Kinda reminds me of Satyricon in parts, but it's a bit more melodic and less repetitive and has awesome clean chanted vocals. They are also pretty catchy and not overly chaotic or fast for black metal, which suits me perfectly.

I almost saw them with Mayhem last year, cool band.

This song is cool. Check how it develops around 1:20. :shred:
edit: Damn, cool band. Just heard more of the whole album and I like their mix of melody and rawness. Here a live track:

Last edited:
Back