Best Song Contest- Round 3, Part 3- The Grand Final!

“Paschendale” is one of the most overrated songs of the reunion era — a failed epic. “For The Greater Good Of God”, on the other hand, is the real deal — one of three 10/10 songs on the monumental AMOLAD album.

Two masterpieces, but “For the Greater Good of God” is the one I come back to more and the one that hits just a little bit harder.

Reactions: Eli
I don't care too much for these songs either. How have these been picked as the best songs from their respective albums?
We really are selling Maiden short, and selling these great albums short.
I'm not gonna vote on this one. This forum doesn't make much sense to me.

Both are amazing songs, but Paschendale is slightly better imo. I have to say the melodies in For The Greater Good Of God are superb.

Failed epic? Wow. You're not a big fan of the song, ok but that's not true.
In my opinion it is. The pre-choruses sound awful, with awkward vocal phrasing being doubled by a guitar line that’s slightly out of time with the vocals. The strings don’t fit at all. The chorus is good, but not great, and the mix sounds muddy as shit. The remaster played some games with EQ to clean it up a little, but it’s still a mess.

Does it have some raw elements and subject matter that could have made a great epic? Yeah, sure. But the song as recorded is merely OK, and doesn’t come anywhere near the scope or grandeur it was shooting for. For those reasons I consider it to be a failed attempt at an epic.

FTGGOG has a nice beginning, but the heavy part isn’t that interesting, and I dislike Nicko in this song. Paschendale is one of their best tracks, on par with Hallowed or any song. Sad they changed it for DOD on the FF tour. Would much prefer it to Alexander on the next tour.

Paschendale has been shockingly and sadly dropping in my estimations recently. It was a song I discovered within my first year or so of listening to Maiden, then became my number 2 song very quickly and stayed there for a long time, but I've been thinking that it hasn't really held up as well as other songs over the years. FTGGOG is another one that goes back a long time but I've never questioned its greatness, so that gets the vote.

FTGGOG is our second candidate for "song of the decade" title. Time to see which one will win and go to round 3...

Still in round 2: Dance of Death, For the Greater Good of God, The Talisman, The Book of Souls, Hell on Earth

Already in round 3: Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Sign of the Cross

I really believe they both deserve the title. However there is one vote only- which goes to Dance of Death for being so very special for me.

I've come to appreciate Dance of Death more in recent years, so it wins handily over FTGGOG (which I like quite a bit), mostly for superior storytelling and that it's a damn good song.

I really love Dance Of Death. It's a song that "talks" to me. But, I love even more For The Greater Good Of God because it's more epic, heavier and the song is about crusades, war, religion and it's even more interesting than talking about Death.

Dance of Death, such a fantastic imaginative story told to an evolving music backdrop.

I've never really been over the moon about The Greater Good of God, musically if feels a little broadway-ish to me, and has that repetitive chorus structure where they just say the title over and over and over and over. It's certainly not a great flag bearer for the AMOLAD album.

Back