Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Iron Maiden

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • Led Zeppelin

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Van Halen

Votes: 8 22.9%

• Total voters
I am listening to that album now and I wholeheartedly agree.

Now that I think of it, if I had to take 10 albums to a desert island (one per band, no live albums, no compilations), Boston would be one of them. Today the list would look as follows (in no particular order):

1. Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast
2. Bruce Dickinson - The Chemical Wedding
3. Wishbone Ash - Argus
4. Rush - Moving Pictures
5. Creedence Clearwater Revival - Pendulum
6. Deep Purple - Machine Head
7. Boston - Boston
8. The Waterboys - Fisherman's Blues
9. Accept - Balls to the Wall
10. AC/DC - Back in Black

Good list, have all those albums except Waterboys and CCR. CCR are a band I've been meaning to check out for a while, I'm aware of Fortunate Son and Proud Mary (although Tina Turner's version is better!), would you recommend a greatest hits that's a decent representation of them

Good list, have all those albums except Waterboys and CCR. CCR are a band I've been meaning to check out for a while, I'm aware of Fortunate Son and Proud Mary (although Tina Turner's version is better!), would you recommend a greatest hits that's a decent representation of them

Chronicle Vol 1 and Chronicle Vol 2 have to be two of the best compilations of all time. :)

Out of those, Iron maiden.

Overall: Queensryche (1983), Crimson glory, Metallica, Battle beast,

My picks are quite easy:
  1. Alice In Chains
  2. The Cult
  3. The Young Gods
  4. Iron Maiden
  5. Killing Joke (2003)
  6. Killing Joke (1980)
  7. Black Sabbath
  8. Jesu
  9. The Smiths
  10. Misery Loves Co.
10 AMAZING records from a crapload of different genres (there were more like The Doors, Beatles' White Album, Ramones, etc... but these 10 were pivotal in my musical growth)

P.S. : Metallica's self titled album SUCKS ASS!

Last edited:
To me heaven and hell began in 1980, and realistically the Band Heaven and Hell only used that name so they wouldn't have to play Ozzy era tracks.
Wrong. It's Heaven & Hell and at best you may refer to it as a Black Sabbath album (because it was what it always ment to be before the band been forced to drop the name due to $haron O$bourne's law suit). Plus no matter how good Black Sabbath's singers and rythmic section are (and almost the totality of them are top notch) the main factor that makes Sabbath sound like Sabbath (that being one of the best metal bands ever - if not the best) is Iommi's riffage. I won't even mention the absurd influence it was. Just 2 things: only common trait throughout BS's history and 50 years past without aging close to nothing.

Last edited:
Deep Purple is obscure by mainstream standards but rather pleasant, if you can get into Mark I.
Warhorse (with Nick Simper)
Captain Beyond (with Rod Evans)
Helloween (mini-LP or big EP) is genre-defining.
Van Halen
Metallica
Dire Straits
Mr Big
Extreme
W.A.S.P
Medication
(with Whitfield Crane) (do yourself a favor and discover this forgotten gem:
If you have got to pick one, go with "Something New")

Slash (2010)
Queen, Kiss, Aerosmith and, to a lesser extent, Black Sabbath, do not feature the beasts these bands grew to become but were still very promising in retrospect.

Def Leppard (2015) was not terrible but I have already forgotten most of it.

...and of course Iron Maiden :)

And for a change, something not prehistoric for once, my favourite 2019 album as of today: Rosalie Cunningham. Check it out:
PS: though a Beatles fan, I am not fond of The Beatles at all.
PPS: despite mentioning, Warhorse, Captain Beyond and Rosalie Cunningham, I'm not into weed and have never been. ;)

Last edited:
Metallica
giphy.gif

So many great self-titled debut lps; impossible for me to choose:

Asia
Badlands
Blue Murder
Body Count
Bon Jovi
Britny Fox
Bulletboys
Damn Yankees