Best New Music of 2018

My favorite album of the year right now is Puberty 2 by the artist Mitski. Its sound is varied, with some ballads, some raging punk, some more modern sounding college rock. It might remind you of 90s Radiohead a bit. Here are the videos of the two singles from the album. My favorite is "Happy," it builds to a really cool melody. Both videos are compelling, in very different ways, and both are pretty weird. The video for "Happy" in particular takes an unexpected twist.

Not that cool when you try his work in chronological order.
Now now, Foro; nothing wrong with the new stuff...
... apart from the production! :p

Not best, or even someone I'm listening to, but thought a few guys on here might like this guitar-orientated Australian guy I stumbled across on Bandcamp...
@Saapanael
@Mosh
@Forostar

I'm hearing fusion, Satch influences, Gilbertesque runs, and maybe Bucketisms (maybe). No singing that I've heard, all instrumental. The guy's a bit to cool for my liking, but the music & production is reasonably promising. Might interest someone. You can listen to all of his stuff on Bandcamp...

Now now, Foro; nothing wrong with the new stuff...
... apart from the production! :p

Not best, or even someone I'm listening to, but thought a few guys on here might like this guitar-orientated Australian guy I stumbled across on Bandcamp...
@Saapanael
@Mosh
@Forostar

I'm hearing fusion, Satch influences, Gilbertesque runs, and maybe Bucketisms (maybe). No singing that I've heard, all instrumental. The guy's a bit to cool for my liking, but the music & production is reasonably promising. Might interest someone. You can listen to all of his stuff on Bandcamp...

Pretty cool. I like how he mixes heavy rhythms with melodic leads.

Like @Collin , the only music that had piqued my interest particularly this year was the new Dream Theater, and I didn't expect anything to seriously challenge it for AOTY for me.

However I've recently come across the debut album for a wonderful new traditional/speed metal band called Blizzen, from Germany. If you want a band to compare to, I'd say Grim Reaper is a pretty fair comparison. Their album is here:

I'd recommend just putting it on in the background and browsing as normal. In my opinion the second half of the album is better, though there's plenty to love on the first half too. Guaranteed you stop what you're doing to air guitar or your money back.

I have only heard Megadeth - Dystopia so far, its a good album. I have Rhapsody of fire - Into the labyrinth and Judas priest live album and DVD laying around, but havent been bothered to check them out yet.

Looking forward to new Sabaton, Sonata arctica and the new Metallica of course, it's been pre ordered already!

IMO, the only albums worth talking about from this year (so far) have been:

• Borknagar - Winter Thrice
  • Ereb Altor - Blot · Ilt · Taut (although this one's a cover album)
  • Moonsorrow - Jumalten Aika
  • Witherscape - The Northern Sanctuary

However, by the end of the year, lots of great bands should release new albums - Opeth, Alter Bridge, Anaal Nathrakh, for example.

Perhaps Epica.... I don't like the new song that much though. It will be tough to beat the last record.

@CriedWhenBrucieLeft

On Plini: nice!

Do you intend to hear everything the man has done (or perhaps you have already done so)?
How do you feel about the fact that he does use a real drummer? Do you wish Buckethead would return to such an approach as well?
Even if that would mean less quantity in his future output, it's still something that could be refreshing.

Just curious how you look at these matters.

Do you intend to hear everything the man has done (or perhaps you have already done so)?
I listened to most of the stuff he had up on bandcamp, yeh.
How do you feel about the fact that he does use a real drummer?
Don't think the early stuff has a real drummer. It was all him, no band.
Do you wish Buckethead would return to such an approach as well?
Definitely; or at least live. He doesn't have to have a drummer for studio work though.
Even if that would mean less quantity in his future output, it's still something that could be refreshing.
Indeed. No sure how things are going to go after this Pikes-break & touring period.
Just curious how you look at these matters.
I don't want to hear endless programmed drumming, of that's what you asking? :ok:

Metal Church - XI
Prong - X (No Absolutes)
Dream Theater- The Astonishing
Holy Grail - Times of Pride & Peril

Now that the calendar has rolled over to December and people may be looking for holiday gift ideas, I thought I'd bump this thread (started by yours truly). See if you can list your top 5 new albums of the year. And if there's a reissue that really floats your boat, let us know that, too. I'm still working on my list, but wanted to get this on people's radar screens in the meantime. Spoiler: my list will include Opeth and Mitski.

Okay, let's see...

0001057_300.jpeg

Yeah, Portnoy was overselling it, but it's awesome anyway. One of Morse's best, possibly, and that's truly an achievement. These two discs go down better than a quattro formaggi pizza. I need more time to assess it more properly, but I really, really liked what I heard.

svedai-amon-amarth-atvyksta-i-lietuva-tarp-musu-proteviu-galejo-buti-visko1.jpg

Maybe not as good as their other work, but I enjoy it all the same. It was a great buy, only those illustrations in booklet are sometimes funny. :D Just don't compare it too much to Oden on Our Side or Thunder God and you're in for a treat.

Sorceress_Album_Cover.jpg

I still dislike this Akerfeldt's throwback experiment that's been going on for about five years now, but out of those three albums, Sorceress is definitely my favourite. If only for that progression of those first three tracks... It's really, really cool, even heavy from time to time and I can't get enough of it. I even have that 2CD edition, however I still haven't managed to listen to the bonus disc.

EMERSON-LAKE-PALMER-Tarkus-reissue.jpg

I'm misusing a loophole here, because this is a 2016 reissue of a 2012 reedition, but it still fits and I wanted to recommend it. The Steven Wilson remixes on CD 2 are actually pretty interesting, changing the sound significantly (especially Lake's vocals), but still maintaining the spirit of the original.

MegadethDystopia.png

Megadave really overdid himself and put out this killer of a record. Purely subjectively, it just might be their best since Rust, or at least Endgame. Very enjoyable, very catchy, appropriately heavy - this sounds like the band know what they're doing and enjoying it fully. Not a seminal record by any means (well, Jomsviking ain't too, right?), but a well done metal album. Definitely better than Hardwired, though I like that one too.

1009455.jpg

I've been a huge fan of Theocracy since I've discovered them earlier this year (and I'm still completely crazy about As the World Bleeds) so this one was a must. At first, I was kind of shocked - they got rid almost completely of the prog tendencies and this here album is mostly just Christian (technical) power metal. But this streamlining actually becomes them. I still prefer those earlier albums, but these songs are short, to the point and catchy. Too catchy, maybe, from time to time, but the band is still undeniably talented. And it's not as if there are no prog influences whatsoever (the album closer, Easter, would actually fit seamlessly on the previous album, IMHO).

Honorable mentions go to

dreamtheatercoverjpg.jpg

Whether you love DT or hate their guts, and whether you'll like this one or stomp on it like an enraged Cyberdemon, this is a must, IMHO. Have you ever heard a prog metal band putting out a half-Lloyd Webber, half-Morricone double album about princesses and round Skrillex bots? Have you ever heard a metal vocalist over 50 sincerely trying to pretend he's a 15 year old girl? Have you ever heard blast beats under a marching band tune?

My own feelings are on a rollercoaster for the whole time the album's been out, but they're still mostly positive. The album is completely over the top, but indispensable all the same.

I'll post more if anything else crosses my mind. Still not sure whether to include the new Epica and the new Metallica. :confused: At least the latter needs more listens, definitely.

Last edited:
Two favourites this year:

The 69 Eyes - Universal Monsters

Listen to "Jerusalem". A track that's atmospheric, with awesome vocals and a chorus that sticks.

Michael Sweet - One Sided War

Listen to "Bizarre". One of the best vocalists of the 80's, here on a solo album that should be perfect for fans of Stryper, last year's Sweet & Lynch release and just melodic metal in general.

Have you ever heard a prog metal band putting out a half-Lloyd Webber, half-Morricone double album about princesses and round Skrillex bots? Have you ever heard a metal vocalist over 50 sincerely trying to pretend he's a 15 year old girl? Have you ever heard blast beats under a marching band tune?
Well, people should not do this kind of things in the first place.:p

Not sure I can put out a top 5, but my personal top 3 is below. Honorable mentions:

Amon Amarth - Jormsviking

I've grown much fonder of this band since seeing them live. However, beyond TOTTG, they are a band I go to for songs rather than albums. This one is no exception, though the two I regularly seek out - At Dawns First Light, The Way Of Vikings - are spectacular indeed.

Metallica - Hardwired...To Self-Destruct

No particularly controversial things to say here. I'm not a massive thrash fan and can't say I was anticipating the album, but I checked it out nonetheless. It's largely mentioned here because of Moth Into Flame, which I absolutely adore, though I felt the album was generally an enjoyable one.

3 - Dynazty - Titanic Mass

Somewhere between traditional and power metal, this came to my attention thanks to the incredible lead single, The Human Paradox. A much stronger effort than their previous releases.

Standout Tracks:
- The Human Paradox
- The Smoking Gun
- I Want To Live Forever

2 - Amaranthe - Maximalism

For the benefit of those who have never heard of them, Amaranthe is a weird mixture of pop and metal. This album, their fourth, leans heavily towards the pop. It's cheesy in every sense of the word, but if you can get past that I genuinely think this album is a lot of fun.

Standout tracks:
- Limitless
- Endlessly
- Boomerang

1 - Dream Theater - The Astonishing

I expect everyone here will have heard this and made their minds up on it already. I consider it one of the bands best, but I've always liked DT for their simpler stuff as much as anything else.

Standout tracks:
- Ravenskill
- Three Days
- Moment Of Betrayal

Back