Best New Music - 2022 edition

Can one infer something from the fact that much of the discussion of the new Ghost record has transitioned from the Ghost thread to the “Best New Music—2022” thread? Yes. Yes, I think one can. “Spillways” is a truly fantastic pop/rock song. Soooo catchy.
In my case I just enjoy having a more centralised thread where I can reasonably mention several different new releases at a time.

That said, Spillways is indeed an earworm, though for me the album peaks at the double hit of Darkness At The Heart Of My Love and Griftwood.

New single from Crashdïet taken from their upcoming album Automaton out 29 April. Together with the lead single No Man's Land (posted here previously) this is shaping up to be a very strong release. I like... everything about this. Having seen this incarnation of the band live, Gabriel Keyes is as good live as he is on this.

Black Swan’s second album Generation Mind was just released, and it’s great. This is a Frontiers supergroup with Robin McAuley (MSG) on vocals, Reb Beach (Whitesnake, Dokken, Winger) on guitar, Jeff Pilson (Dokken, The End Machine, Foreigner) on bass, and Matt Starr (Ace Frehley, Mr. Big) on drums. Beach and Pilson were the songwriting team on Dokken’s Erase The Slate album from 1999, and they have a lot of musical chemistry.

This is anthemic melodic hard rock with great guitar work and great singing. Beach’s playing takes its cues from Joe Satriani, George Lynch, and Eddie Van Halen, but goes in its own directions too. McAuley’s voice also sounds great — it’s hard to believe the guy’s pushing 70!

After 4 listens I can confidently say that this is an even better album than their debut Shake The World (which was already pretty great) — the quality is more consistent and every song is worth your time. It also keeps the flow going throughout the album, so even the lone ballad has more of a heavy Beatles feel and doesn’t slow things down to a crawl.

An easy recommendation for fans of this style of music.

JOE SATRIANI - THE ELEPHANTS OF MARS
Awesome album, 14 songs including amazing melodic ones like Faceless or Desolation, another rock ones with great solos. Highly recommended album. It's his best one in years.

cover.jpeg

AXEL RUDI PELL - LOST XXIII
Great album. It has surprised me for good for the great melodic hard rock and Heavy Metal songs that contains. Survive, Down on the Streets, Gone with the Wind, Freight Train, Fly with Me, The Instrumental The Rise of Ankhoor and Lost XXIII.
The vocalist is very good very similar to Ronnie Romero kind of vocals. He brights in every song. Axel and the rest of the band are great as always. On the Top of the albums released this year until now. Highly Recommended

lost23.jpg

Was about to post this, but then I realised the thread is about the best new stuff...

Frontiers Music Srl is pleased to announce the signing of an absolutely monstrous new hard rock group, Iconic. Featuring Michael Sweet (guitars), Joel Hoekstra (guitars), Marco Mendoza (bass), Tommy Aldridge (drums), and Nathan James (vocals), Iconic is primed to set the hard rock world on fire with the release of their debut album "Second Skin" on June 17, 2022. Pre-order/save "Second Skin" on CD/LP/Digital HERE: https://orcd.co/secondskin

Do we have a thread about releases which are bland, uninspiring, and probably best to avoid? Just another super group-project from Frontiers with my least favourite new vocalist.

The vocalist is very good very similar to Ronnie Romero kind of vocals. He brights in every song.
That's Johnny Gioeli! He's best known for being the singer of Crush 40, who have done songs for several Sonic games. I was a Sonic fan before I ever listened to metal, and it was Crush 40 that got me interested in rock music. I love how he can belt out even the cheesiest lyrics with complete conviction.

Here are three live videos of him from the Sonic 30th anniversary concert last year!

That's Johnny Gioeli! He's best known for being the singer of Crush 40, who have done songs for several Sonic games. I was a Sonic fan before I ever listened to metal, and it was Crush 40 that got me interested in rock music. I love how he can belt out even the cheesiest lyrics with complete conviction.

Here are three live videos of him from the Sonic 30th anniversary concert last year!

I haven't played a Sonic game in years but I will still very occasionally give the Sonic soundtracks a spin (pun intended) when nobody is listening.

My best April albums:

APRILFAVS.png

• John Zorn - Perchance to Dream (Jazz/Fusion)
  • Thomas Fiorini & Brussels Philarmonic - Concerto for Bass Guitar and Orchestra (Classical)
  • Alma Naidu - Alma (Vocal Jazz)
  • Djabe - Witchi Tai To Live 2019 (Jazz / Fusion)
  • Black Swan - Generation Mind (Hard Rock)
  • Envy of None - Envy of None (Prog Rock)
  • Joe Satriani - The Elephants of Mars (Instrumental Rock)
  • Destruction - Diabolical (Metal)
  • FM - Thirteen (Melodic Rock)
  • Axel Rudi Pell - Lost XXIII (Hard Rock / Metal)
  • Rush - Moving Pictures (40th Anniversary Edition) [Prog Rock]
  • Melissa Aldana - 12 Stars (Jazz)
  • Hällas - Isle of Wisdom (Prog Rock)
  • John Zorn - Spinoza (Jazz/Fusion)
  • La petite Écurie - The Queen's favorites (Classical)
  • Dizzy Gillespie & Lalo Schifrin - Studio And Live Collaborations 190-62 (Jazz)
  • Gunter Teuffel - Neumann, Schubert & Falla. Works for Viola & Guitar (Classical Guitar)
  • Ultima Knaus - Old Love and New (Jazz)
  • Lola Descours & Paloma Koudier - Basson Steppes (Classical)
  • Duo Diversitas - Ex Aequo (Classical Guitar & Flute)
  • David Bowie - Toy (EP) [Pop]
  • Dimitri Mitropoulos - Berlioz. Romeo and Juliet - Dramatic Symphony, Op. 17 (Classical)
  • Udo Dirkschneider - My Way (Metal)
  • David Bowie - Brilliant Adventure (EP) [Pop]

Last edited:
New Halestorm album is out today.

I had a listen yesterday via an AUS proxy and came away a little disappointed. The album is heavier than its predecessors but this has come at a cost as far as the catchiness and hooks of the songs are concerned. Perhaps I expected too much given the fantastic prerelease singles, but this feels like the disappointment of the year so far.

New Halestorm album is out today.

I had a listen yesterday via an AUS proxy and came away a little disappointed. The album is heavier than its predecessors but this has come at a cost as far as the catchiness and hooks of the songs are concerned. Perhaps I expected too much given the fantastic prerelease singles, but this feels like the disappointment of the year so far.
:( Sorry to hear that. I'll listen it these days. The Halestorm, Thunder, The Gathering, Robin Thrower, John Scofield and Golden Earring new releases waiting to take a listen :D

:( Sorry to hear that. I'll listen it these days. The Halestorm, Thunder, The Gathering, Robin Thrower, John Scofield and Golden Earring new releases waiting to take a listen :D
My post probably reads more negatively than intended because I had high hopes for the album. It's a decent album, I was just expecting a great one. I'll be sure to check out the others though, especially Thunder and Golden Earring.

Okay, single of the year is here... Chez Kane - "Powerzone".

Well-produced, great vocals and guitar solo. Love the cover. They've kept everything almost exactly the same as on the debut. Debut album was the best album of the year 2021 and certainly my most played. Best vocalist out there right now. Album will be out fall 2022. Written & produced by Crazy Lixx-bandleader Danny Rexon for Frontiers Music. Check it out if you like 80's rock, female fronted rock bands, AOR, or just good music.

Okay, single of the year is here... Chez Kane - "Powerzone".

Well-produced, great vocals and guitar solo. Love the cover. They've kept everything almost exactly the same as on the debut. Debut album was the best album of the year 2021 and certainly my most played. Best vocalist out there right now. Album will be out fall 2022. Written & produced by Crazy Lixx-bandleader Danny Rexon for Frontiers Music. Check it out if you like 80's rock, female fronted rock bands, AOR, or just good music.
The debut was great. Definitely checking this one out.

My Best May Albums:

may.png

• The Hellacopters - Eyes of Oblivion (Hard Rock)
  • Eliminator - Ancient Light (Metal)
  • Francesca Dego & Francesca Leonardi - Mozart Violin Sonatas (Classical)
  • Suzanne Vega - Close-Up Extras (Pop Rock)
  • Robin Thrower - No More Worlds to Conquer (Hard Rock)
  • Allan Holdsworth - Jarasum Jazz Festival 2014 (Jazz/Fusion)
  • Volker Bertelsmann - Life After Life (Original Series Soundtrack) (Soundtrack)
  • Thunder - Dopamine (Hard Rock)
  • Ann Wilson - Fierce Bliss (Hard Rock)
  • The Gathering - Beautiful Distortion (Prog Rock)
  • Graham Bonnet Band - Day out in Nowhere (Hard Rock)
  • Golden Earring - You Know We Love You (Rock)
  • Evergrey - A Heartless Portrait (The Orphan Testament) (Metal)
  • Melody Gardot - Entre eux deux (Vocal Jazz)
  • Bryan Ferry - Love Letters EP (Pop-Rock)
  • Laure Stehlin - Orees (Ambient)
  • The Police - Around the World. Restored & Expanded (Pop-Rock)
  • Carl Mayotte - Escale (Jazz)
  • Dúo Cassadó - Hypnotik (Classical)
  • MSG - Universal (Metal)
  • María Parra - GEA (Classical)

Back