Best Music Video Survivor: Nominations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Michael Jackson, "Thriller" if it's not nominated yet.

Or, if that's considered a short film and not a standard video: "Billie Jean". Still a great video after all these years, and the video that broke MTV's color line.

Guns N Roses, "Welcome to the Jungle". I saw someone already nominated "November Rain", but Jungle was damn impressive when it came out.

Metallica, "Enter Sandman". Forget you know the song and watch the visuals again. Genuinely frightening. That truck chasing the kid is classic.

Dio - Holy Diver (so much epic!)

KoRn - Freak on a Leash (don't care about the song or band, but that bullet thing is awesome)

Megadeth - Sweating Bullets (so many Mustaines!)

Metallica - I Disappear (song sucks, but the video is pretty great)

Are we going to watch these vids with the sound off?
I already hear people say "it's all about the video", but really, what you see needs to have a context as well, doesn't it? How does the video fit to what we hear? The timing of the music, or perhaps more important: the lyrical content.

And when we do that... I bet we will also pay attention to how much we like the song (or that could happen subconsciously).

Let me make clear that I do not have a problem with that at all. I don't find a video that interesting if I don't care about the music. Let's see if I'll get proven wrong! :)
Just saying that we can't prevent "audio" bias. My 2 cents.

Are we going to watch these vids with the sound off?
I already hear people say "it's all about the video", but really, what you see needs to have a context as well, doesn't it? How does the video fit to what we hear? The timing of the music, or perhaps more important: the lyrical content.

And when we do that... I bet we will also pay attention to how much we like the song.

Let me make clear that I do not have a problem with that at all. I don't care about a video if I don't care about the music. Just saying that we can't prevent "audio" bias. My 2 cents.

No. I'd say the beauty of a good music video is the complete package, music + visuals. Audio bias is always a risk, but so is pole dancing supermodel bias.

Are you only going to react to that sentence?
I read everything you said, I just wasn't clear if that part had been in response to something that was brought up earlier; or whether you were just throwing that out there.

You have to listen to the music; that I agree with.

I just wonder how believable it is that people choose a video when they say they don't like the music much. Perhaps the majority here won't like it, but would the poster?

I can believe that, actually. There are some beautifully made videos where you can appreciate the visuals, and how that works with the music, but not necessarily be a major fan of the music. If there's any slots left I plan to fill them with what I think are well made videos which deserve a place.

I have three of mine, I still need to choose between a whole load more to select my final two. And we're almost up to 60 in total now.

I have one more.

a-ha - Take On Me

....or if that one doesn't work...

Elvis Presley - Jailhouse Rock.

Probably my first place:

I have seen that Peter Gabriel’s Sledgehammer has been already nominated, so:

I didn’t nominate Gotye’s Somebody That I Used to Know, because it’s way too Peter-Gabrielish too :D

I wanted to nominate Pink - Sober (or F* Perfect), but that’s probably way too "not rock/metal” :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back