Best Iron Maiden Covers

Best cover? The Dee Snider-fronted cover of "Wasted Years", with George Lynch and Jeff Pilson of Dokken on lead guitar and bass, Bob Kulick on rhythm guitar and Jason Bonham on drums. That is probably the only Maiden-cover I've listened to for its own merits. Lynch's virtuoso approach to the solo is completely different, yet it fits the song.

Love this cover, Paul Gilbert in guitar. Check out his little flurry at 0:29 just before the first verse starts.

Chris Jericho’s vocals are ok but nothing outstanding but man Paul Gilbert owns this song.

Honestly I think those vocals are outright bad and I think even James LaBrie's Maiden covers are better. The way he sings "the eeeevil that men do" sounds just as strained as Ozzy on a bad day.

But I agree on the guitar work, brilliant.

Chuck Billy is certainly a long way from Bruce Dickinson (although they both had throat cancer) but it works pretty well the way Chuck sings it. Alex Skolnick and Eric Peterson nail the solos though!

This one is OK but I don't think Devildriver put much of their own mark on it. They've covered 'Sail' by a band called Awolnation and it works perfectly. I'd like to hear Charlotte Wessels having a go at 'Wasted Years'. Her voice has the kick to really hit the spot with this song.

Chuck Billy is certainly a long way from Bruce Dickinson (although they both had throat cancer) but it works pretty well the way Chuck sings it. Alex Skolnick and Eric Peterson nail the solos though!

and the double bass drums!

This would probably be my favorite professional cover of an Iron Maiden song (by a really underrated band too).
220px-FaroeseFlag.JPG

Not doing anything especially different, but a really nice cover of an unsung gem. Dude filling in for Bruce on the backing vocals is a guy named Michael Mills from a little Australian band called Toehider. I've been following this guy since we used to talk about progressive rock in the MySpace days. He's been on a couple of Ayreon albums and dude just has golden pipes.

The first four minutes. Myles Kennedy covers The Trooper.
Edit: I've changed the video to a shorter version.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about the best cover, but After Forever have released a fantastic "The Evil That Men Do" cover back in the day. Definitely one of the best covers I've heard (in that, it maintains the original atmosphere of the song exceptionally well).

I have a tribute CD of underground bands covering Maiden and they are pretty much all dreadful, but for me this one stands out. Purgatory by Steel Prophet, which nicely includes Ides of March as an intro. They are playing Purgatory at a slower pace than the Maiden version and I think it suits the song really well.

Back