Best Drummer!

I've actually changed my mind since i voted. I voted for Nicko, just because he's in maiden [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--] , but after some concidering i'll have to say that Virgil Donati is one of the greatest, if not the greatest, drummers i've heard/seen. Others worth mention is Jeff Porcaro and John Bonham.

Re: Best Drummer!

I would say Mike Portnoy, Aquiles Priester, Nicko McBrain, Stewart Copeland, Jason Rullo, Jeff Porcaro and so many more...

In my opinion the best drummer on the planet is a nut case called Skitz from an Aussie band called Damaged. This bloke is a true genius with the sticks and easily in a class of his own. My list shows my love of the double bass peddle so I'm sorry the Maiden Lads are so far down. My top 10 (After Skitz) are:
1 - Dave Lombardo/Paul Bostaph (Slayer to hard to choose)
2 - Vinnie Paul (Pantera)
3 - Joey (Slipknot)
4 - Raymond Herrera (Fear Factory)
5 - Lars Ulrich (Metallica)
6 - Igor Cavalera (Sepultura)
7 - Nicko
8 - Clive
9 - Nick Menza (Megadeth)
10 Alex Van Halen/Tommy Lee (Van Halen/Motley Crue to hard to choose)

i have been a drummer for about 8 years and have always loved nickos style not to mention he is the only single kick player in a sea of double kick players

wasted-years said:
i have been a drummer for about 8 years and have always loved nickos style not to mention he is the only single kick player in a sea of double kick players

true ! in BNW album there are some passages one can swear that he uses a double kick, incredible !
...but to tell you the truth, after hearing some Maiden covers with a double kick I wish he could apply it in some songs and concerts

Hmmm.... here are some of my favorite drummers:

Nicko and Clive
Scott Travis
Bill Ward
Mike Portnoy
Silas Graae
Mickey Wilson
Vinnie Paul
Max Cavalera
Gene Hoglan

I choose Nicko over Clive, but only just...Clive's drumming has a great energy, especially live (Plus, he doesn't force the tempo up in Hallowed... <_<)

Other great drummers;

Dave Lombardo (Slayer)
Kai Kahto (Wintersun)
Ole Ohman (ex-Dissection)
Kenneth Olsson (Tristania)
Fredrik Andersson (Amon Amarth)
Gene Hoglan (Where do I start...?)
Anders Jivarp (Dark Tranquillity)
Trym (Emperor)
Scott Travis (Judas Priest)
Dave Ingraham (Bruce Dickinson)

Although some of these (Olsson, Ohman, Travis) are only here based on their performances on single albums (Beyond the Veil, Storm of the Light's Bane and Painkiller respectively), the drums on these albums are so bloody amazing that I just had to put them up.  Notable mention for Primordial's drummer (don't know his name)...the drums on 'The Coffin Ships' are incredible (live especially), but I don't know anything else about them, so I didn't feel I could put him up. :(

Back