Don Airey
Elton John (yup)
Ray Manzarek
Richard Wright
Billy Preston
Ray Charles
David Bryan

Um, and I think that's it.

I don't think the "best band ever" should have a keyboardist at all. :p I don't recall hearing a keyboard on Powerslave or Highway To Hell...

I'll nominate John Paul Jones, Garth Hudson and Steve Winwood, but only in protest. :devil:

Frank Boeijen (The Gathering)
Stian Aarstad (first three Dimmu Borgir albums, Enthral)
Tony Carey (Rainbow)
Malcolm Pearson (White Spirit)
Martin Powell (My Dying Bride)
Louis Panzer (Nocturnus)
Jimmy Smith (influenced a constellation of jazz organists as well as rock keyboardists such as Jon Lord, Brian Auger and Keith Emerson)
Larry Young (became a part of some of the earliest fusion experiments: first on Emergency! with the Tony Williams Lifetime (with Tony Williams and John McLaughlin) and also on Miles Davis's Bitches Brew. His sound with Lifetime was made distinct by his often very percussive approach and often heavy use of guitar and synthesizer-like effects. He is also known to rock fans for a jam he recorded with Jimi Hendrix, which was released after Hendrix's death on the album Nine to the Universe.)
Jens Johansson (Stratovarius)

Last edited:
Mike Portnoy
Mike Mangini
Marco Minneman
Jason Rullo
Charlie Benante
Barriemore Barlow (Jethro Tull, 1971-1980). Absolutely great live drummer. Tull reached heights with this man. John Bonham on Barriemore Barlow: "The greatest Rock Drummer England ever produced".
Phil Collins
Bill Bruford
Carl Palmer
Jordan Rudess
Kevin Moore
Derek Sherinian
Rick Wakeman
Tony Banks
Keith Emerson
Neal Morse
Elton John (yup)

:okok:

Seems you have been doing just fine, I feel no need to add a specific name. Except maybe for Lars Ulrich. :ninja:

Vadim Pruzhanov (Dragonforce - not to everyone's taste! :p )
Tuomas Holopainen (Nightwish)
Steve Merry (Be'lakor)

Elton John (yup)
Ray Charles

Nomination of these two begs the question, are pianists included under keyboardists?

My nominations:

Chick Corea
Joe Zawinul
Herbie Hancock

If pianists that played in band settings count:

Bill Evans
Oscar Peterson
Thelonious Monk

Last edited:
Bill Evans
Oscar Peterson
Thelonious Monk
Jazz Pianists that had nothing to do with rock or fusion are allowed? Alright, I'll add McCoy Tyner, then. Well, he has influenced Chick Corea (fusion pianist/keyboardist who also did progressive rockish stuff)

Don't see much point in having Jazz pianists in the game. Keep it simple and just have rock players.

Jazz Pianists that had nothing to do with rock or fusion are allowed? Alright, I'll add McCoy Tyner, then. Well, he has influenced Chick Corea (fusion pianist/keyboardist who also did progressive rockish stuff)

I didn't say they were allowed, the line was never drawn.

No problem with the inclusion of Corea, Zawinul and Hancock, I hope, because they did play fusion.

Goddammit, I wasted my seventh drummer nomination. Instead of Richard Christy I should have mentioned Bobby Chouinard, who was Billy Squier's drummer and had one of the greatest (and supposedly the most sampled) drum sounds ever. Just heard a little Squier today and thought of him. If it's not too late, Bobby deserves to be on the list.

Back