Best Album Ever Survivor: Somewhere In Time wins

Vote for your least favourite album

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If King Animal is in, then Alice In Chains' comeback album Black Gives Way To Blue must be in too. And Facelift and self-titled album while we're at it :)

(about Flash's worries) I agree that the same thoughts had crossed my mind; a bit more moderation might be helpful, in one of the forms Flash suggests (or another).

I think the best way to deal with this is to self-moderate.
Remember, the point of the game is to find out the FORUM's favourite albums.
Don't nominate or second an album just because you like it, or because you think it's better than some already up there, nominate it because you REALLY think it has a chance to go far. Nominate or second if you personally think it is one of the three or four best of its era AND you have reason to believe others in the forum might feel the same way.

News of the World (me, Cornfed, Vap and Flash) is in.
Stand Up (Foro, Flash and Vap) and Jazz (Flash, Vap and Mosh) have three votes.

You can nominate a new album up until the first round of its era is over.
If Stand Up gets another vote, it will be added in the next round.
But that last nomination needs to happen before this round closes.

About your way of handling this, mckindog, I have a question. If it's really about the albums that "has a chance to go far" why is an album like Tattooed Millionaire on the list ? Just because it's an album of Bruce Dickinson ? I'm absolutely sure that majority of this forum don't like that album that much. And if it's about the artist, people may nominate the albums of the artist they absolutely like. I think that's a stretch.

If it's really about the albums that "has a chance to go far" why is an album like Tattooed Millionaire on the list ? Just because it's an album of Bruce Dickinson ?

That's exactly why — regardless of their overall quality, we know all Maiden-related stuff has certain appeal to people on this forum.
It fits the common ground for Maidenfans idea. And it will be interesting to see how solo stuff from members of our favourite band stack up.

I also second jazz (that was not very clear in my post, so I make it now)

And since jazz is in, I nominate Davis' Bitches Brew

I'm interested in playing this, but I think I'll only vote in rounds where I'm familiar with many of the albums. Unfortunately, my musical education only began a year ago and therefore I probably am familiar with less than 30% of the albums listed.

I included many Manavishnu Orchestra albums to my list but then cut them thinking they were considered jazz fusion. But they really have a lot in common with prog rock.

Indeed. Birds of Fire even has the first double bass drums used in rock music, if I'm well informed.

I thought about suggesting Mahavishnu but didn't think I'd get much support. So I'd nominate Inner Mounting Flame as well as seconding Birds of Fire.

Also second Bitches Brew. And if we're going to nominate Miles albums, I nominate Kind Of Blue too.

I think we should set this straight. Is this really a "Best Album Ever" survivor or a "Best Rock Album Ever" survivor ? Kind of Blue is one of my favorites of all time but it has nothing to do with rock.

The Inner Mounting Flame and Birds Of Fire are terrific albums. Seconding them.

The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)
Van der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts (1971)
Yes - Close to the Edge (1972)
Genesis - Foxtrot (1972)
The Who - Quadrophenia (1973)
Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells (1973)
King Crimson - Larks' Tongues in Aspic (1973)
Van der Graaf Generator - Godbluff (1975)
Marillion - Script for a Jester's Tear (1983)
Marillion - Misplaced Childhood (1985)
Peter Gabriel - So (1986)
Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory (2000)
Rammstein - Mutter (2001)
The Strokes - Is This It ? (2001)
Dream Theater - Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (2002)
Opeth - Damnation (2003)
Seconding these

I think we should set this straight. Is this really a "Best Album Ever" survivor or a "Best Rock Album Ever" survivor ? Kind of Blue is one of my favorites of all time but it has nothing to do with rock.
I nominated it because he never said it was just rock. Kind Of Blue is one of those albums that everyone should hear at some point, regardless of musical preference.

From Flash's list I second these:

The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)
The Doors - The Doors (1967)
Van der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts (1971)
Yes - Close to the Edge (1972)
Genesis - Foxtrot (1972)
King Crimson - Larks' Tongues in Aspic (1973)
King Crimson - Red (1974)
Van der Graaf Generator - Godbluff (1975)
Van der Graaf Generator - Still Life (1976)
Death - The Sound of Perseverance (1998)

I nominated it because he never said it was just rock. Kind Of Blue is one of those albums that everyone should hear at some point, regardless of musical preference.

I’ve picked albums from each of the past 40-plus years from the hard rock/prog/metal genre

I figured this was an indicator. I may very well be wrong, though. I'll wait mckindog to confirm possible inclusions of other genres if it does get confirmed, I'll second Kind of Blue for sure.

Back