Best Album Ever Survivor Round 2

Vote for your least favourite albums

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Certainly some bands transcend their era better than others, but I think people throw around "dated" as a pejorative too much in music debates, conveniently excluding the older bands they themselves like. Whether an old band sounds fresh and exciting to you is mostly about what kind of music you're into. For example, if you like heavy metal, an obvious product of the eighties like The Number of the Beast could blow your mind. Or you might think it sounds a bit lame compared to Meshuggah.

If a band is still widely know decades after they broke up, it feels a bit pointless to talk about whether they're dated or not.

I don't dislike the Doors (but I did vote for them in a vein attempt to save a certain other album). Riders on the Storm is amazing and I really dig the organ solo in Break on Through.

To call something from the seventies dated is nonsense. If another band would make exactly the same music today then they would be dated. Not the Doors.

If you call something dated for other reasons, then it's subjective.

I absolutely don't miss the bass guitar. In jazz, landmark guitar/organ/drum-trio albums have been released. Actually, the drums are jazzy.

edit: it looks Shadow and I wanted to make the same point at the same time.

They didn't need another member in the band when Manzarek could play the bass lines while simultaneously playing some of the best organ solos ever. It is a shame he is kinda forgotten among other great organ players who came after him...

Riders of the Storm is entirely leaning on that organ "bass". Fundamentally important en effective.

Riders on the Storm kicks serious ass.
Doors music works very well without a bassist — it's part of their sound.

The Doors were 3 excellent musicians and one poet. This guy reminds me of Rimbaud; he stayed fresh because we quitted when it was the time to do so. It wasn't a job to him, it wasn't about make a living. Rimbaud went in Ethiopia & Morrison went to Paris.

00138420_medium.jpeg

I'd just like to remind everyone that Bob Dylan has 35 studio albums, 5 decades of music to set your teeth into (in case Moon Child was insinuating that Bob Dylan is only "hippy 60's era music") :p
Yes I'm FULLY aware of that, thank you. :p I wasn't insinuating that he was only that type of music. I was more so saying that me getting into The Doors is like me trying to get into Bob Dylan, it's not happening.

Not even one little Bob Dylan tune?
sniff.gif

Naaah I wouldn't worry that much, it's a matter of time to be caught by uncle Bob. His words are so powerful, it's just matter of the right time & place, just like a poem that you already know, but reading it under the right circumstances... boom! Apocalypse.

Well, we all know that the worst kind of music is whatever your parents are listening too but one day you'll go "Damnn, they were right! Bob Dylan is fantastic!" :D

Yes, I'm 25 and I know my music better than your average 25 year old these days so I know enough that I'm not into Dylan at all. I just listened to the song Cornfed posted above and it really did nothing for me. I listened to the words. I get what he's saying but it didn't reach me on a god like level.

I also don't like Dylan, I respect what he's doing but his music and especially vocals are very boring and totally not my cup of tea. Most of the time I like the music my dad listens to, but not Dylan :p He says I'm insane for liking GNR version of Knockin' more than Dylan's :p

Back