Be Quick or Be Dead

How good is Be Quick or Be Dead on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

Here, you can read other visitors' comments on 'Be Quick Or Be Dead' as well as post your own. Any contribution to the commentary will be much appreciated, may it be cultural references relevant to the song (links to related websites, interpretations that may have been overlooked in the Commentary, and the like) or personal essays related to the topic of the song. Just be aware that messages that are either off-topic or too wacky may be deleted.

'be Quick Or Be Dead'

A fast paced opener to the album, but that's all about it. I wish Bruce wouldn't do that intro scream, it just sounds so bad. All in all just an average song.

'be Quick Or Be Dead'

It's a great opener with excellent lyrics, but like most specifically written openers, the more you listen to the song, the more you discover the lack of substance that would make a great song. Bruce's awful singing does some more to it, so I can only give this song 3 1/2 stars even though I like it.

'be Quick Or Be Dead'

A powerful album opener but I must agree that Bruce sang better elsewhere. Janick's solo is a bit chaotic... Three and a half.

'be Quick Or Be Dead'

I know lots of fans don't like Bruce's vocals on this track, but think they work really well within this track, and I also like the politically charged lyrics. Decent opener, but unfortunately not many tracks on this album are any better than the opening track, with the exception of Afraid To Shoot Strangers and Fear of the Dark.

'be Quick Or Be Dead'

I gave it....

... 4.5.

I don't get the hatred of Be Quick or Be Dead on this site. Bruce's voice is different on it, but not unlistenable. I personally like it when a singer tries to branch out and try something new, especially when it works, and I feel like it does on this song.

But what really makes this song is the guitar. It's frantic and I love it. I wish the rest of the album had more of this flavor to it.

Re: 'be Quick Or Be Dead'

Viz said:
I gave it....

... 4.5.

I don't get the hatred of Be Quick or Be Dead on this site.  Bruce's voice is different on it, but not unlistenable.  I personally like it when a singer tries to branch out and try something new, especially when it works, and I feel like it does on this song.

But what really makes this song is the guitar.  It's frantic and I love it.  I wish the rest of the album had more of this flavor to it.

I do partly agree with you. It's always fun when an artist experiments with the music, (as long as it doesn't go too far) and it shows a slightly more aggressive voice than we're used to. It's not necessary a bad thing, although I think it's enough with one song like this on the album. And it's not that bad as many people seem to think (in my opinion), far better than i.e. "Chains of Misery".

Summary:Since I think the music's good, and sometimes even Bruces singing I'll have to go with 3,5 stars.

Re: 'Be Quick Or Be Dead'

Reading the comments here I see quite a few people aren't thrilled with this one.

When I first got into Maiden this was one of my top 5 favorites. I like the fast aggressiveness of the music and the sharp lyrics. I don't listen to this one as much lately but I still have a soft spot for it.

To me the song is about the hidden hand that manipulates all society, those who use the media to control the public opinion, causes wars and recessions, then reaps profit from them.

Daily Song: Be Quick or Be Dead

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: Be Quick or Be Dead

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

I like this track, though not nearly as much as other album openers (Aces High, Moonchild, The Wicker Man, The Final Frontier). It feels raw and aggressive, and to my mind, evokes a track like Prowler more than many others, but falls short. Bruce does not sound great on this track. I feel like it would sound much better great today than in 1993. I like it, but I don't love it, nor do I go out of my way to listen to it. 6/10.

Re: Daily Song: Be Quick or Be Dead

8/10. Great opener, in my view. When I initially heard this (it was a single release before the album) I really had high hopes for Fear of the Dark.....

10! This is one of the best album openers ever! It's a dry, straight, punch in the face and the band is soaring on this one. Everyone is killing is this song; the solo section and the mix of raspy, screaming vocals by Bruce are anthologic. It might only be not better than The Ides Of March and Aces High, but this is the album opener that always comes to my mind whenever I think or get asked about it. Hope this gets played at least once more before the retirement.

10/10, my favourite Maiden album opener. I really like the version on Live @ Donington, it sounds raw, unpolished and relentless. It kinda reminds me of when I saw them open with this back in 93.

I like the aggression and full-throttle feel of the song, and while I think it's one of the best tracks on the album it's not among my favourite openers. 6/10

solid opener thats on par with different world and futureal but there isnt anything special about it. I belive its maidens second fastest song behind aces high and janicks speed really works for him in this solo

7/10

I wish the post-chorus that is only sung after the first chorus was actually sung after every chorus. Its the best part of the song. "see whose rulings all our lives.."  

Probably my fave off the album but not brilliant.

Gains marx (pun) for being anti-capitalist.

A no-holds-barred sonic attack. This one grabs you by the throat with vicious music and a biting lyric. An excellent piece of pure metal and a great way to open an album. Eight.

An awesome, kick ass rocker opens the album! Also, my most favorite Maiden song with Bruce's rough vocals. 9/10

Back