Anyone thirsty for some Trooper?

I might try to locate some when I go to Europe this summer ... I am more of a Pilsner fan, but want to give the Maiden beer a shot.

I'll read it again, but I got the impression it would be on draught in pubs too.

Cried - beer and lamp posts have a symbiotic relationship. After a lot of beer you need to prop yourself up on something.

Edit: I've just checked prices and it's exactly the same price as your average 500ml bottled real ale from a UK supermarket. Mail order real ales here in the region of £2.70 per bottle. I guess everyone else in the world has cheaper beer! It's possible the price has VAT and alcohol duty on it too - maybe international orders won't be charged for this

Incredibly stupid indeed. Systembolaget is one of the biggest and most diverse importers in the world and need to have their rules revised ASAP. Great, now they have everything one could possibly want - Except for Trooper Ale.

From what I've read it is the law that regulates sale of alcohol in Sweden that stops it from being sold.

The label on the beer is idiotic by the way. Naming a beer Trooper brings football culture, gangs and hooliganism to mind.

From what I've read it is the law that regulates sale of alcohol in Sweden that stops it from being sold.

The label on the beer is idiotic by the way. Naming a beer Trooper brings football culture, gangs and hooliganism to mind.

Indeed. They should have called it Weekend Warrior.

Really? It doesn't have that connotation to me. It's just a historical term for a kind of soldier, possibly a bit patriotic or imperialistic.
I wonder what else they could realistically have called it? It would have to be one of the more widely known song titles. Maybe if it was a stout it could be Fear of the Dark. :D

The probably only wider known Maiden tunes are gonna be NotB, RTTH or Iron Maiden... none of which really go as a beer.

The trooper eddie and Trooper itself have (as much as I don't think it's that amazing a track myself) become somewhat of a symbol for Maiden it seems.

I'd say Fear of the Dark (song) is moreso a symbol of Maiden than The Trooper, although Trooper Eddie is more iconic than the FotD Eddie.

They have it on sale at both Morrisons near to me. And a pub in Hindley Town Centre (Wigan) have it. When i told my daughter about it she did not believe me. Then when she saw the sign at the side of the pub she was like, OMG My Dads fave band have their own beer. I was all cocky telling her she should know how huuuuge the band are.

I don't drink Ale, but parents saw it on sale on holiday and brought some home for me. Ironically I had previously thought about buying some as a thanks to my dad for driving me to the gig.

I still haven't tried it. I wasn't going in that queue at Download, and I haven't been anywhere near Morrisons for a few months.

Has anyone actually sampled this stuff yet? If so you haven't told us if it's any good or not. I think we need the opinion of a seasoned real ale enthusiast.

I've 2 bottles downstairs, but I'm not an ale drinker so I can't imagine I'll try it soon...

I know for a fact that National_Acrobat has tasted it though!

The boyfriend is a real ale fan. If I can track some down I'll try and get an opinion from him. Might take a while though - he's always got a row of bottles on the shelf and they tend to disappear at a rate of roughly one a week.

The boyfriend is a real ale fan. If I can track some down I'll try and get an opinion from him. Might take a while though - he's always got a row of bottles on the shelf and they tend to disappear at a rate of roughly one a week.

Any branches of Morrisons near you? The supermarkets have it (but not the small Morrisons Local branches)

A couple of people who i have just spoken to in Wigan town centre have just said its really nice. They have bought a supply of it too. Keep the bottle as a souvenir.

It's a standard British ale, nothing to offend anyone's taste buds (unless they hate beer). One of the better commercial beers I've drunk, but not bitter enough for me, I suppose. 99 per cent of my enjoyment of it came from the circumstances under which I had it.

Back