Any Ideas On A New Album

You're way off Foro. :p To show you why, I'll keep it simple this time and explain the ways I see some words :

- Progressiveness : Pushing musical boundaries.

Example : Iron Maiden, with their unique, original style.

- Progressiveness (as a name of a genre) : Pushing musical boundaries through complexity.

Example : Dream Theater

- Experimentation : The band's attempts to do stuff that isn't really associated with their certain style.

Example : The X Factor by Iron Maiden

- Different Approach : The band's attempts to do stuff that is in the same style they're associated with, but with noticable differences.

Example : Countdown to Extinction by Megadeth

-----

I'm very close to the point where I say "Fuck this, I'm not playing anymore." :D

What a load of pap you two talk.

The Flash: I understand your point just fine. And I'm not confusing your definition with my own --as I don't use the word. I merely stated the "common" interpretation, as you say. But clearly you think your own definition is something of an improvement (the "true" interpretation), over the "common" one. As interesting as this is, it's pointless. Again, you've had to explain what you mean. You've had to explain it, because your definition is not the "common" one. Are we just meant to understand your usage, without explanation; just guess what you mean?

This is a pretty simple point: I'm not disputing the fixed & defined (well thought out) nature of what you mean/intend when you use the word "progressive" --I'm simply asking you what purpose you think there is in using a word/term which has little meaning, or a totally different meaning, to others? It's ambiguous. And ambiguity requires clarification. Best just not use the term, other than in bland generalities. Or, just do as your doing: using it, & having to explain it, & kidding yourself that your meaning makes more sense than any other --& even worse, is the "true" interpretation. For "true" simply substitute "my".

^agreed

This is part of the reason why labels get out of hand easily, and shouldn't be a big deal. Just call yourself a music fan and you won't have this problem :p

5vQxV.gif

I would love for Maiden to do another progressive style album. It would be awesome if they could mix the dark/brooding elements of AMOLAD with the complex, mystical, and epic atmosphere of songs such as Starblind, and Isle of Avalon.

One thing is for sure though; I hope they don't go cheap with lyrics this time around. I'm torn down the middle with The Final Frontier.

Simply put, lines such as....

"Good to have because you never know"
"They only fill us with the stuff that they want"
"Is it possible to change such a lot?"
"The winds lash the sails, but the ropes keep them tight"
"I've done more in my life, then some do in ten"

...have no place on an awesome Maiden record, especially when placed in otherwise great songs.

I thought TFF was hit or miss with lyrics. Isle of Avalon, Starblind, Coming Home, El Dorado, really great lyrics, some of their very best. Then stuff like The Final Frontier, Man Who Would Be King, and WTWWB are really weak at times. Easy way to fix this, make Bruce the main lyricist :p

I thought TFF was hit or miss with lyrics. Isle of Avalon, Starblind, Coming Home, El Dorado, really great lyrics, some of their very best. Then stuff like The Final Frontier, Man Who Would Be King, and WTWWB are really weak at times. Easy way to fix this, make Bruce the main lyricist :p

Yeah you hit the nail on the head. I always thought that the Coming Home through Starblind grouping were really powerful lyrically and musically. In fact, those four songs can probably be considered among Maidens best by my standards. The others, WTWWB, The Talisman, etc. has several weak points just as you said.

Bruce really has grown to be one of the best lyricists in the world as the time went on in his career. His solo career probably helped him in that respect. Starblind has the greatest lyrics on a song ever, in my opinion.

Agreed. I would like to add The Alchemist to the "really good" too. I've wondered how much the guitarists are involved in the lyrics for some time. Especially since they always co-write with Steve and often Bruce also.

I don't think the title track's lyrics aren't that bad. Good follow up to the lyrics of The Apparition, I think.

The lyrics of both this song and The Apparition are interesting when you put them in context of Maiden's career.

In The Apparition we hear a positive advise -uttered by some kind of ghost or spirit (which could even be Steve himself, advising himself)- about life and the road one can take.

... Live your life with a passion
Everything you, do well
You only get out of life what you put in ...

and check this out:

... can the soul live on through space and time? ...

... You don't be alarmed now, if I try to contact you
If things go missing or get moved around ...

... We'll meet up again some place, some way ...

Some way indeed! When listening to The Final Frontier Steve's input shows a continuation of this positive message, but now in a more reflecting way. Space and time return, plus an attempt of contact.

... I think of my life, reliving the past
There's nothing but wait 'til my time comes
I've had a good life, I'd do it again
Maybe I'll come back some time, my friends

For I have lived my life to the full
I have no regrets
But I wish I could talk to my family
To tell them one last goodbye ...

... If I could survive to live one more time
I wouldn't be changing a thing at all
Done more in my life than some do in ten
I'd go back and do it all over again ...

... There isn't much time, must say my last rites
Nobody is here to read them to me
Must say my goodbyes, if only a line
A message to tell them in case they might find ...

The perspective might be different, but I see The Apparition's lyrics as an integral part of the positive aura circling above the band, and its motivator, Steve Harris.

I think this is not portrayed so well (in this manner) in any other song. The circle is round with The Final Frontier.

A. In The Apparition an advice is told to someone
B. That someone lives his life
C. And in The Final Frontier he reflects on that life, and surely shows that he has followed the advice.
One might even imagine that this someone (which is Steve of course) has again contact with the same spirit, but now Steve talks, and the Apparition "listens".

I think TFF's lyrics overall are quite good. The only thing below par is The Man Who Would Be King.
I don't claim to understand Avalon, but it has some great imagery.
The title track and WTWWB tell cool stories and Bruce's stuff, of course, is superb.

I don't think I've seen this mentioned but The Final Frontier is much less lyrically repetitive than other Maiden albums. It's only the title track that repeats the chorus lines over and over. Every other track has multiple lines in the chorus, a step in the right direction as far as I am concerned.

Isle of Avalon is easy if you understand some science and know about celtic mythology. They talk about the Isle of the dead that never died, where King Arthur is taken when dying, where he, according to the myth, sleeps until England needs him again. Then we have a link to the Wicker Man, the sacrifice to the gods to have fertility, burning people and cattle. What happens is that actually the ashes of the animals have a lot of nutrients good for plants, so they contribute to fertility, and therefore they thought that their gods blessed them for the sacrifice. The Isle of Avalon also takes some lines in the humanity hurting the Earth with polution and their conflicts, while the cycle of dying and then helping to fertility continues and continues. Such awesome lyrics.

Bruce really has grown to be one of the best lyricists in the world as the time went on in his career. His solo career probably helped him in that respect. Starblind has the greatest lyrics on a song ever, in my opinion.

Yep, Bruce is my absolute favorite lyricist. I would put Navigate right up there with Starblind, although Starblind's message is stronger.

Only thing I don't like lyrically on TFF is the line in Mother of Mercy that goes "I'll die a lonely man of that I'm certain of". It's bad grammar. It should be "... of that I'm certain" or "... and that I'm certain of" but having "of" in there twice is wrong and I'm surprised it got on the record like that.

Only thing I don't like lyrically on TFF is the line in Mother of Mercy that goes "I'll die a lonely man of that I'm certain of". It's bad grammar. It should be "... of that I'm certain" or "... and that I'm certain of" but having "of" in there twice is wrong and I'm surprised it got on the record like that.

I always thought it's "and that I'm certain of"...

Back