Any Ideas On A New Album

Countdown, Youthanasia and The World needs a hero aren't thrash, more like melodic metal. So I think they do count as an experiment. And they were succesful. So 3/4. It wins over Metallica.

Countdown, Youthanasia and The World needs a hero aren't thrash, more like melodic metal. So I think they do count as an experiment. And they were succesful. So 3/4. It wins over Metallica.

You're way off from my point, man, sorry. If that counts as an experiment, then the maturation of Metallica between Kill'em All and Ride the Lightning to come up with a melodic, more defined thrash metal record than a pure energy, basic record also does. And it doesn't count as an experiment, really. It only can be called as a "different approach" not an experiment.

Megadeth is not the most experimental band ever, but you can't honestly say that you don't hear any evolution listening to Rust In Peace and Endgame back to back. Megadeth isn't always trying new things, but Mustaine has evolved and matured as a songwriter. And I think Endgame is right up there with Rust as one of their best albums.

Long story short, I'm against "if ain't broke, why fix it" philosophy. I hate it. That's probably why I call myself a progressive music fan rather than a metal or rock fan anyway.
I'm a progressive music fan too. I'm also a fan of metal, rock, jazz, rap, whatever. As long as it sounds good. I don't need all music to be progressive, if it was I'd probably go insane. When I listen to Megadeth, I listen for good thrash metal, melodies and solos. If I want complexity or experimentation, I'll listen to someone else. If you have a formula that works, and you're one of the best at what you do, and you really don't do anything else as good, why would you try to do something else?

Different artists have different intentions. Some want to push boundaries, be innovators. Others just want to play the music that they love, and if that's just simple rock music, then there isn't anything wrong with that. You shouldn't expect every artist to drastically evolve and try different things, because you're gonna be disappointed a lot.

On the next album they need to focus more on Bruces vocals. I'm not talking lyrics but better vocal melodies. On the last few albums the vocals sound very stale,dry and boring he needs to sing more freely(such as he do on songs like Can I play with madness or Stranger in a Strange Land). He should also avoid the tones that make him sound overstrained(like on Mother of Mercy that sounds horrible and dont go easy on the ear). Definitely bring in more reverb and vocal harmonies to take away the dryness! Just my opinion

I'm a progressive music fan too. I'm also a fan of metal, rock, jazz, rap, whatever. As long as it sounds good. I don't need all music to be progressive, if it was I'd probably go insane. When I listen to Megadeth, I listen for good thrash metal, melodies and solos. If I want complexity or experimentation, I'll listen to someone else. If you have a formula that works, and you're one of the best at what you do, and you really don't do anything else as good, why would you try to do something else?

Different artists have different intentions. Some want to push boundaries, be innovators. Others just want to play the music that they love, and if that's just simple rock music, then there isn't anything wrong with that. You shouldn't expect every artist to drastically evolve and try different things, because you're gonna be disappointed a lot.

You do remember that my interpretation of progressiveness is a lot different than its common interpretation, right ? Being original itself is progressiveness. And complexity has nothing to do with progressiveness in my sense. Some bands chose to be progressive with complexity, some didn't.

For example, Bay Area Thrash Metal bands came up with a mix of punk rock and NWOBHM. Metallica's first album, Kill'em All is entirely made of basic compositions. But I consider Metallica to be a progressive band, since they're the pioneers of an entirely new genre. Mind you, I don't call them progressive metal or whatever, I call them thrash metal (well the 80's and Death Magnetic) but I consider them progressive as a band.

I hope you get me. If I'm going to be disappointed because I want bands to experiment, I want bands to keep me excited, then so be it.

For the next Maiden album, I really do not care what style they go with. I like the proggy side that has been dominant for the past several albums, but would not mind a return to more shorter songs with some longer ones. The main thing for me is that they do not try to force one or the other and just go with the best material, regardless of style.

I now this is way up-thread, but: Apache video, galloping bass line? Clearly a Steve Harris influence.
Yes, I can see Maiden doing a cover. (As a B side for the new album. See how I kept it on-thread?)

And does anyone know where I can find a list of musicians who played on Red Solo Cup? (Google didn't instantly help)
I think I know the skinny acoustic guitar player with the chin beard.

I don't really wanna rewatch the video, so do you mean Rich Eckhardt?

rich4.JPG

I think that's the dude. And no, he's not the guy I know (who is a professional musician, just not country).
He looks less like him in this photo.

You do remember that my interpretation of progressiveness is a lot different than its common interpretation, right ? Being original itself is progressiveness. And complexity has nothing to do with progressiveness in my sense. Some bands chose to be progressive with complexity, some didn't.

For example, Bay Area Thrash Metal bands came up with a mix of punk rock and NWOBHM. Metallica's first album, Kill'em All is entirely made of basic compositions. But I consider Metallica to be a progressive band, since they're the pioneers of an entirely new genre. Mind you, I don't call them progressive metal or whatever, I call them thrash metal (well the 80's and Death Magnetic) but I consider them progressive as a band.

I hope you get me. If I'm going to be disappointed because I want bands to experiment, I want bands to keep me excited, then so be it.
Yea I understand that, but it isn't something I agree with.

Forostar --this is an awful explanation; & one you don't need to make! :D
I think what you meant to say was: the shit version. Not that the longer one made any more sense...

"Progressive" tagged onto to any musical genre is simply a term to help classify music with certain characteristics (which you can argue over all you want), is it not? Saying that a band has changed or developed over time (in a direction you like) is just that: development. By this definition no band's first album (i.e. they have no history that you've heard) could be described as "progressive", as how could you judge if they'd changed? Nonsense, total nonsense.

The word means different things to different people; it's use in discussion, therefore, is utterly pointless (--as you then have to explain what it means!)

That's the common interpretation of progressiveness you're talking about.

Progressive rock, progressive metal, progressive jazz, progressive bullshit symbolizes one thing : pushing the musical boundaries through complexity.

Progressiveness itself is pushing the musical boundaries, therefore creating a new style, coming up with a fresh sound is progressiveness. So you can call Metallica a progressive band since they came up with a new style and that new style's name is thrash metal.

That's the way I see it and I don't expect anybody else to see it the way I do. You can see it in the common way as long as you want, but please don't confuse yours with mine. And the reason why I insist on using the word progressive, CWBL, is even if you don't understand my point I believe it is the true interpretation of the word.

Cheers.

Back