Another Life

How good is Another Life on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

Here, you can read other visitors' comments on 'Another Life' as well as post your own. Any contribution to the commentary will be much appreciated, may it be cultural references relevant to the song (links to related websites, interpretations that may have been overlooked in the Commentary, and the like) or personal essays related to the topic of the song. Just be aware that messages that are either off-topic or too wacky may be deleted.

'another Life'

I really like this track. I always get the feeling that it's a bit underated by many Maiden fans. Admittedly, it's pretty basic and the lyics are not special. But it's the guitar interplay, fills and solos that really make this song. It also has one of the best endings of any Iron maiden song. One that I believe is referenced to some degree by the ending of Only the Good Die Young from SSOASS. Judging from Eddie Archives, it also appears to have been judged good enough to play live. The version on Beast Over Hammersmith is truly ferocious.

'another Life'

The opening toms are pretty awesome. I love the sound. This track is really Cool the opening riffs are not really maiden sounding, but when the other riffs come into the song, it sounds great.

'another Life'

A very cool drum opening, leading into a catchy song. There's quite a lot going on there musicwise. I only wish they had come up with some more lyrics.

'another Life'

a decent track, but not really standing out next to Murders or the awesome Genghis Khan. Maybe it's a bit too basic? 3 stars

'another Life'

I really like it, especially because of the great little punkish part. Good energy, too

'another Life'

Its pretty basic as someone said, however, the opening drum intro alongside with the opening guitar solo makes it more than special. I only wish more lyrics to this one…. it turns kinda boring after some listenings…. 3 stars

'another Life'

Killer mixture of depressing lyrics and groovy riffs. When you sing the most depressing words with the happiest possible background music, it becomes terrifyingly depressive. It becomes the sonic equal of the real neurosis, because in those cases the person comes to a state of mind where his mind goes almost numb because of the depression and even the most depressing thoughts seem very normal, including suicide. There's also Still Life which deals with suicide, and it also is very dark, but not so terrifyingly bleak and cold as this one. The groove actually makes the lyrics even more realistic than they already are (the same case goes for Type O Negative's "World Coming Down" album: depressive lyrics + relaxing riffs = the most suicidal atmosphere possible), and the repeating of the same verse for 3 times is true genius, it gives the impression of obsession. Not my favourite song on Killers, but very good and misunderstood.

'another Life'

[!--QuoteBegin-Travis Bickle+Oct 13 2005, 12:08 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Travis Bickle @ Oct 13 2005, 12:08 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Killer mixture of depressing lyrics and groovy riffs. When you sing the most depressing words with the happiest possible background music, it becomes terrifyingly depressive. It becomes the sonic equal of the real neurosis, because in those cases the person comes to a state of mind where his mind goes almost numb because of the depression and even the most depressing thoughts seem very normal, including suicide. There's also Still Life which deals with suicide, and it also is very dark, but not so terrifyingly bleak and cold as this one. The groove actually makes the lyrics even more realistic than they already are (the same case goes for Type O Negative's "World Coming Down" album: depressive lyrics + relaxing riffs = the most suicidal atmosphere possible), and the repeating of the same verse for 3 times is true genius, it gives the impression of obsession. Not my favourite song on Killers, but very good and misunderstood.
[snapback]120265[/snapback]​
[/quote]

That is a very interesting way of looking at it. With that in mind, this song does get a new dimension for me.

'another Life'

[!--QuoteBegin-Travis Bickle+Oct 13 2005, 01:08 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Travis Bickle @ Oct 13 2005, 01:08 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]depressive lyrics + relaxing riffs = the most suicidal atmosphere possible.
[snapback]120265[/snapback]​
[/quote]Strange... I wonder how that could be.

'another Life'

[!--QuoteBegin-charlotte+Oct 13 2005, 09:26 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(charlotte @ Oct 13 2005, 09:26 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Strange... I wonder how that could be.
[snapback]120272[/snapback]​
[/quote]
You definitely should check out Type O Negative - World Coming Down... If you dare. [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--] Also, Steve mentioned in a BNW era interview that WCD was one of his favourite albums, which I think it interesting.

'another Life'

[!--QuoteBegin-Travis Bickle+Nov 6 2005, 05:39 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Travis Bickle @ Nov 6 2005, 05:39 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]If you dare
[snapback]122271[/snapback]​
[/quote]I did. Pretty tunes and just those titles: Everyone I Love Is Dead, Everything Dies... The depression is a bit artificial for me to find it really credible. But I see what you meant - and thanks for the interesting hint [!--emo&-_---][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sleep.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'sleep.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Daily Song: Another Life

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: Another Life

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

I really like this song, it has a nice groove, and I don't mind the lyrics one bit. Something about it just makes me rock out a bit. 7/10.

Re: Daily Song: Another Life

I'll give it some credit. It's the best of the worst. I like the solo's in this song and that is about it. 4/10.

I generally dislike those songs from the first two albums that end up sounding Motorhead-ish, and this is one of them. One of the more forgettable ones, in fact.

Basically, I reconize this song simply by that drums at the start. The riffs are just alright. Overall though, mediocre by the band's standards.

4/10

It's a good song, but not fantastic. And as every other song of the first two albums I enjoy it more with Brucie on vocals.

7/10, almost 8.

At around 1:47 into this song was the bit that got an old friend of mine a bit excited. "That's Punk", he said. This guy was heavily into his Punk at the time and loved this track for it. And so do I. On seeing them live during the Beast on the Road tour and standing in front of H, when this track started I was waiting for that very moment.

9/10

It's got some nice melodies, but I really don't like Paul's singing, and the song as a whole is average at best. 6/10

Good song. An early live staple that really worked well. Nice little rocker, though not too out-of-the-ordinary. 7/10.

Back